Old 07-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Nils Kassube

Default lost and found problem

Perikli Thanasi wrote:
> > in that
> > case it would be a problem, otherwise, it is perfectly normal for
> > "lost+found" to be inaccessible.
>
> Yes but i have 2 lost and found folders...
> 1. On root media storage
> 2. and the second one on Home (which is in an other partition)

There is one lost+found directory on every ext2/ext3 partition. Whenever
during a disk check an orphaned inode is found, it will be moved to the
lost+found directory of that particular partition.

Nils

Old 07-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Nils Kassube

Perikli Thanasi wrote:
> Thanks..now i understand why i have this problem..is there any way to
> change something to resolve it? Maybe change my UID number...but how
> and which one?

Unless you want to use the home directory for other distributions as well,
it would be better to change the ownership of the directory. That could
be done with the command

sudo chown -R $USER: $HOME

in a terminal.

Nils

Old 07-05-2008, 03:25 PM
"Perikli Thanasi"

Unless you want to use the home directory for other distributions as well,

it would be better to change the ownership of the directory. That could

be done with the command

sudo chown -R $USER: $HOME
Where user is my username
and home is the "new" home directory..example:

sudo chown -R $perikli: $/media/disk/perikli

?

This will change my home from: * * * ** /home/

to /media/disk/perikli

?

Thanks for the answer...How you can see i don't know many things about linux

Perikli

Old 07-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Nils Kassube

Perikli Thanasi wrote:
> > Unless you want to use the home directory for other distributions as
> > well, it would be better to change the ownership of the directory.
> > That could be done with the command
> >
> > sudo chown -R $USER: $HOME
>
> Where user is my username
> and home is the "new" home directory..example:
>
> sudo chown -R $perikli: $/media/disk/perikli
>
> ?

No need to replace anything. The shell sets the environment variable $USER
to your login and $HOME to your home directory. So you can use the
command like I wrote it and the shell will do the necessary replacement
for you. Just put the same command as a parameter to an echo command and
you can check how the replacement would work. That would be this command:

echo "sudo chown -R $USER: $HOME"

Nils

Old 07-05-2008, 04:24 PM
"Perikli Thanasi"

I did it...
but i didn't notice any changes..?!?

Thanks
Perikli

ps. It is possible to make these patitition my home ..now? I mean change it like you could do it on windows...? I want that /media/disk/perikli is my new home...but how i do it, if i can? and if i do i...will contiun asking for the password when i open the file?

Old 07-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Nils Kassube

Perikli Thanasi wrote:
> I did it...
> but i didn't notice any changes..?!?

Sorry, I think I missed something in the previous messages. It seems you
now have a home directory /home/perikli but you would prefer to use the
files in /media/disk/perikli instead. Then the command I gave really
doesn't do what you wanted. And it isn't that easy to change to a
non-standard home directory.

> ps. It is possible to make these patitition my home ..now? I mean
> change it like you could do it on windows...? I want that
> /media/disk/perikli is my new home...but how i do it, if i can? and if
> i do i...will contiun asking for the password when i open the file?

Usually if you want to have a separate home partition, you would make an
entry in /etc/fstab while in /media only removable media are mounted. If
you let Kubuntu automatically mount the partition, it isn't guaranteed
that it will always be in /media/disk. Therefore, it is better to use a
fixed entry for the partition in /etc/fstab. The entry would be something
like

UUID=c1aa6372-bf97-4269-b6ae-0f2de85b0a52 /home ext3 defaults 0 2

where the UUID must match the UUID of _your_ partition - don't use the
UUID mentioned above because that is only an example (it is one of my
partitions). For a detailed explanation of what to do with /etc/fstab see
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab>.

But you should know that if you change the mount point of your separate
home partition to /home, you can't access the files which are now in
your /home/perikli any longer. So you should move those files to the
other partition first, i.e. from /home/perikli to /media/disk/perikli.
And if you don't move the files, they would be still there, but you could
only access them if you unmount the separate home partition.

Nils

Old 07-05-2008, 06:08 PM
"Perikli Thanasi"

Ok...thank you very much