Old 07-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Pablo El Feo

Default Strigi

Hi, people... Have anybody used strigi?
About a week ago I Beagle started using 100% of my cpu. It seems some people
have this problem but no one found a solution yet. So, I decided to change my
indexed search engine. I use Google Desktop at work so I decided to reinstall
strigi in my Kubuntu 8.04 box.
I used to use beagle with kerry and I really love the interface, the search
results are well categorized, you can apply some filters (not many but it's
what I need). It lets KDE create the preview of the files in the search result
window, and it has a realy nice kopete log viewer.
Strigi, on the other hand... well... the complete search results are shown in a
browser (I have to wait 'till it's open), the categories it uses are even worse
than google's, it searches through every text file the same... I get kopete
logs, normal text files, c, java, haskell, latex sources, and configuration
files all mixed up. Even the web page is ugly. And I really miss the kopete log
viewer... I really use the index search to remember what I've been told (my
biological memory sucks).
Maybe all that can be fixed or reconfigured... but I don't know how. I googled a
bit about it but found nothing.
Is there a strigi client in the style of kerry?
Is there any kopete log viewer that I can associate with the log xml files to
show them in a more human fashion?
Is there any way to... well... organize the search results? so, at least it
doesn't get everything so mixed up?

I never really used strigi because I was comfortable with beagle... but I always
thought of Kubuntu guys like the kind of people that is very careful choosing
programs. I even like Dolphin for my day to day file administration tasks. I
think it was an improvement... but strigi... well... It's really letting me
down.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:46 PM
"Myriam Schweingruber"

Hi Pablo,

On 04/07/2008, Pablo El Feo <plberd-kubuntu@yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> Hi, people... Have anybody used strigi?
> Strigi, on the other hand... well... the complete search results are shown in a
> browser (I have to wait 'till it's open), the categories it uses are even worse
> than google's, it searches through every text file the same... I get kopete
> logs, normal text files, c, java, haskell, latex sources, and configuration
> files all mixed up. Even the web page is ugly. And I really miss the kopete log
> viewer... I really use the index search to remember what I've been told (my
> biological memory sucks).

Hm, just wondering, how did you use it? There is a package called
strigi-client, did you install it? Also, there is a strigi-applet for
the panel and a frontend called catfish. Strigi being a daemon running
in the background, I don't really see how you can use it comfortably
without a front end.

In the future, Strigi should be usable with Nepomuk from Dolphin.

Greets

Myriam

--
Protect your freedom, join the Fellowship of FSFE!
http://www.fsfe.org

Old 07-05-2008, 03:39 AM
Pablo El Feo

El Friday 04 July 2008 16:46:33 escribió:
> Hi Pablo,
>
> On 04/07/2008, Pablo El Feo <plberd-kubuntu@yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> > Hi, people... Have anybody used strigi?
> > Strigi, on the other hand... well... the complete search results are
> > shown in a browser (I have to wait 'till it's open), the categories it
> > uses are even worse than google's, it searches through every text file
> > the same... I get kopete logs, normal text files, c, java, haskell, latex
> > sources, and configuration files all mixed up. Even the web page is ugly.
> > And I really miss the kopete log viewer... I really use the index search
> > to remember what I've been told (my biological memory sucks).
>
> Hm, just wondering, how did you use it? There is a package called
> strigi-client, did you install it? Also, there is a strigi-applet for
> the panel and a frontend called catfish. Strigi being a daemon running
> in the background, I don't really see how you can use it comfortably
> without a front end.

I use:
Strigi-applet: Very useless since it only searches by name:hatever* (I really
don't want to waste 2.0G in an index to search that)
Catfish, I just installed it, but always says: Fatal error, search was aborted.
Click here to start the search daemon.
But it it started and running, other clients don't complain.

The webpage search and strigiclient are both equally useless: strigi indexes
EVERYTHING... but it really doesn't know what it is... if I search the name of
a contact (Martin) it gives me 609 results, classified as: kde(13), mail(175),
other (422).
Let's be kind and suppose I was looking for a mail (the only meaningful class it
seems to have)... the 175 results look pretty much the same:

1214787490.5937.O52qU:2,S
Martin Laberge ...
/home/plb/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/kubuntu-users/cur/1214787490.5937.O52qU:2,S -
3k -

What am I supposed to do with that? I usually search mails by date, subject,
attachments... I only know that it contains the word I'm searching, and it's 3k
long. The rest... well... I don't want to understand that.

If I was searching for a chat log, an application, information about a contact,
a document... well I'll have to poll the hole "other" list of equally
undescriptive items.

Either I'm doing something VERY wrong... or this strigi is very useless.
I'm really looking forward to try nepomuk, but if it's only going to bring even
more files to the search results of this kind... well... I'll stop wasting disk
space in indexes.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:24 AM
Richard

Pablo El Feo wrote:

[...]

Try searchmonkey, I believe that the correct title,

search google... this might be a temp way to go,

a single application.

Rich

Old 07-05-2008, 07:05 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Pablo El Feo wrote:
> El Friday 04 July 2008 16:46:33 escribió:
>> Hi Pablo,
>>
>> On 04/07/2008, Pablo El Feo <plberd-kubuntu@yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
>>> Hi, people... Have anybody used strigi?
>>> Strigi, on the other hand... well... the complete search results are
>>> shown in a browser (I have to wait 'till it's open), the categories it
>>> uses are even worse than google's, it searches through every text file
>>> the same... I get kopete logs, normal text files, c, java, haskell, latex
>>> sources, and configuration files all mixed up. Even the web page is ugly.
>>> And I really miss the kopete log viewer... I really use the index search
>>> to remember what I've been told (my biological memory sucks).
>> Hm, just wondering, how did you use it? There is a package called
>> strigi-client, did you install it? Also, there is a strigi-applet for
>> the panel and a frontend called catfish. Strigi being a daemon running
>> in the background, I don't really see how you can use it comfortably
>> without a front end.
>
> I use:
> Strigi-applet: Very useless since it only searches by name:hatever* (I really
> don't want to waste 2.0G in an index to search that)
> Catfish, I just installed it, but always says: Fatal error, search was aborted.
> Click here to start the search daemon.
> But it it started and running, other clients don't complain.
>
> The webpage search and strigiclient are both equally useless: strigi indexes
> EVERYTHING... but it really doesn't know what it is... if I search the name of
> a contact (Martin) it gives me 609 results, classified as: kde(13), mail(175),
> other (422).
> Let's be kind and suppose I was looking for a mail (the only meaningful class it
> seems to have)... the 175 results look pretty much the same:
>
> 1214787490.5937.O52qU:2,S
> Martin Laberge ...
> /home/plb/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/kubuntu-users/cur/1214787490.5937.O52qU:2,S -
> 3k -
>
> What am I supposed to do with that? I usually search mails by date, subject,
> attachments... I only know that it contains the word I'm searching, and it's 3k
> long. The rest... well... I don't want to understand that.
>
> If I was searching for a chat log, an application, information about a contact,
> a document... well I'll have to poll the hole "other" list of equally
> undescriptive items.
>
> Either I'm doing something VERY wrong... or this strigi is very useless.
> I'm really looking forward to try nepomuk, but if it's only going to bring even
> more files to the search results of this kind... well... I'll stop wasting disk
> space in indexes.
>
>> In the future, Strigi should be usable with Nepomuk from Dolphin.

I can only agree that Strigi does not seem to find anything useful. I
have tried it several times and it finds x number of html files (or
whatever) but never any docs, mail, pics or whatever I might actually be
looking for. Also seems to be no development going on and the know
errors (it just hangs itself sometimes and you have to delete the whole
index to get it working again) stays on for every Kubuntu release. Have
not yet tried Kerry/Beagle or Google Desktop but am about to.

Strigi STINKS!

Sinclair

Old 07-05-2008, 09:07 AM
"Myriam Schweingruber"

Hi Sinclair,

On 05/07/2008, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can only agree that Strigi does not seem to find anything useful. I
> have tried it several times and it finds x number of html files (or
> whatever) but never any docs, mail, pics or whatever I might actually be
> looking for. Also seems to be no development going on and the know
> errors (it just hangs itself sometimes and you have to delete the whole
> index to get it working again) stays on for every Kubuntu release. Have
> not yet tried Kerry/Beagle or Google Desktop but am about to.
>
> Strigi STINKS!

Besides that shouting, did you file a bug for it? I agree it's not
usable for the moment, but the website states it's still in unstable
mode (as is the whole 4.1b2), so let's at least do something helpful!

Greets

Myriam

Old 07-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Pablo El Feo

> Besides that shouting, did you file a bug for it? I agree it's not
> usable for the moment, but the website states it's still in unstable
> mode (as is the whole 4.1b2), so let's at least do something helpful!

You are right, I sorry... I did a lot of souting, but I'm really frustrated. And
disappointed... not with strigi itself, strigi (I guess) does it's job, it
indexes... I thing I was expecting something more mature, strigi stuff versions
are about 0.5 while beagle id 0.3 and it really is easier on the user.
And, I always thought of Kubuntu as a distro that take very serious the user
experience... and I thought that if they have strigi in their standard
distribution it should be something useful, and easy to use and setup.
I also don't know I I'm doing something wrong... most programs are very
configurable, at least more than they seem. So I was hoping there was something
I could do to improve my search results.
The bug report... well... I've seen very strange bug reports (like a wine bug
that states that people still prefere to use the original Windows API)... Can
general frustration and disappointment be reported as a bug?

Old 07-07-2008, 02:46 PM
"Michael W. Holdeman"

On Saturday 05 July 2008 09:22:46 Pablo El Feo wrote:
> > Besides that shouting, did you file a bug for it? I agree it's not
> > usable for the moment, but the website states it's still in unstable
> > mode (as is the whole 4.1b2), so let's at least do something helpful!
>
> You are right, I sorry... I did a lot of souting, but I'm really
> frustrated. And disappointed... not with strigi itself, strigi (I guess)
> does it's job, it indexes... I thing I was expecting something more mature,
> strigi stuff versions are about 0.5 while beagle id 0.3 and it really is
> easier on the user. And, I always thought of Kubuntu as a distro that take
> very serious the user experience... and I thought that if they have strigi
> in their standard distribution it should be something useful, and easy to
> use and setup. I also don't know I I'm doing something wrong... most
> programs are very configurable, at least more than they seem. So I was
> hoping there was something I could do to improve my search results.
> The bug report... well... I've seen very strange bug reports (like a wine
> bug that states that people still prefere to use the original Windows
> API)... Can general frustration and disappointment be reported as a bug?
Alittle off, but what happened to porting Googledesktop to kde4? I switchewd
to it in 3.5.9 and loved it, fast and found everything fast.

Mike
--
Michael W. Holdeman
Chief