-   -   Smaller model laptops in combination with Kubuntu - request for advise? (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/118802-smaller-model-laptops-combination-kubuntu-request-advise.html)

Bas Roufs 07-04-2008 12:13 PM

Smaller model laptops in combination with Kubuntu - request for advise?

Dear everybody

A few weeks ago, a laptop from me has been stolen again. That's why I am
looking for a lighter/ smaller laptop model that is more easy to always
carry with me, but which can be combined with Kubuntu.

At present, I am considering "ASUS Eeee PC", version 901 or version
1000. Both new versions seem to become available in September. Main
technical specifications:
1,6 Ghz processor (both models), 1 GB RAM (version 901) or 2 GB RAM
(version 1000), 20 GB 'solid state disk' (version 901) or 40 GB
(version 1000).
More technical details:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC

Both models are being sold along with the Linux distribution 'Xandros'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xandros)

Does anybody have any experience at all with some version of 'ASUS Eeee
PC'? If you, did you already install Kubuntu on it? If so, how?

Are there any other smaller model laptops you could advise me in
combination with Kubuntu?

Thanks for your reflections.

Bas.

--
*************************
Viaconsensus

Rainbow News, views and visions: CircleLetterRainbow.net

European Rainbow Gathering in Serbia: Eurogathering.Rainbowinfo.net

Open source operating system: Linux - Kubuntu 7.10, Kubuntu.org

"O. Sinclair" 07-04-2008 12:28 PM

Bas Roufs wrote:
> Dear everybody
>
> A few weeks ago, a laptop from me has been stolen again. That's why I am
> looking for a lighter/ smaller laptop model that is more easy to always
> carry with me, but which can be combined with Kubuntu.
>
> At present, I am considering "ASUS Eeee PC", version 901 or version
> 1000. Both new versions seem to become available in September. Main
> technical specifications:
> 1,6 Ghz processor (both models), 1 GB RAM (version 901) or 2 GB RAM
> (version 1000), 20 GB 'solid state disk' (version 901) or 40 GB
> (version 1000).
> More technical details:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC
>
> Both models are being sold along with the Linux distribution 'Xandros'
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xandros)
>
> Does anybody have any experience at all with some version of 'ASUS Eeee
> PC'? If you, did you already install Kubuntu on it? If so, how?
>
> Are there any other smaller model laptops you could advise me in
> combination with Kubuntu?
This is as yet not released but apparently Dell will release a
minilaptop "real soon now":
http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9915094-1.html?tag=blog.1

and since Dell generally does a good job of supporting Ubuntu that could
be an interesting way to go.

Sinclair

"Jussi Schultink" 07-04-2008 01:30 PM

Smaller model laptops in combination with Kubuntu - request for advise?

Have a look at the MSI wind.

Its very nice and only slightly bigger than the eee.

BR

Jussi

Jim 07-04-2008 02:23 PM

O. Sinclair wrote:
> Bas Roufs wrote:
>
>> Dear everybody
>>
>> A few weeks ago, a laptop from me has been stolen again. That's why I am
>> looking for a lighter/ smaller laptop model that is more easy to always
>> carry with me, but which can be combined with Kubuntu.
>>
>> At present, I am considering "ASUS Eeee PC", version 901 or version
>> 1000. Both new versions seem to become available in September. Main
>> technical specifications:
>> 1,6 Ghz processor (both models), 1 GB RAM (version 901) or 2 GB RAM
>> (version 1000), 20 GB 'solid state disk' (version 901) or 40 GB
>> (version 1000).
>> More technical details:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC
>>
>> Both models are being sold along with the Linux distribution 'Xandros'
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xandros)
>>
>> Does anybody have any experience at all with some version of 'ASUS Eeee
>> PC'? If you, did you already install Kubuntu on it? If so, how?
>>
>> Are there any other smaller model laptops you could advise me in
>> combination with Kubuntu?
>>
> This is as yet not released but apparently Dell will release a
> minilaptop "real soon now":
> http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9915094-1.html?tag=blog.1
>
> and since Dell generally does a good job of supporting Ubuntu that could
> be an interesting way to go.
>
> Sinclair

I have a eeePC 702 8gb 1gb and Fedora 9 installed on it , Fedora had all
drivers for hardware, with the exception of
the Atheos wierless chipset ,I downloaded
madwifii-nr-r3366+ar5007.tar.gz and compiled and it work great including
WEP. The wireless chipset is a ar5007eg . livna.org has a madwifi driver
also.
The eeePC is much faster with the SSD, than the MSI or Everex that has
a standard harddrive. Everex Cloud is dog slow.
I would recommend the eeePC 901 or 1000 because of the 20gb SSD, that
would give you plenty of space to install any Linux distro.
I bought a ext. CD/DVD rom to install other OS and put in a 2gb memory
for $41.00, speeded up noticeably .

Billie Walsh 07-04-2008 03:51 PM

Bas Roufs wrote:
> Dear everybody
>
> A few weeks ago, a laptop from me has been stolen again. That's why I am
> looking for a lighter/ smaller laptop model that is more easy to always
> carry with me, but which can be combined with Kubuntu.
>
> At present, I am considering "ASUS Eeee PC", version 901 or version
> 1000. Both new versions seem to become available in September.
> Main technical specifications: 1,6 Ghz processor (both models), 1 GB RAM
> (version 901) or 2 GB RAM
> (version 1000), 20 GB 'solid state disk' (version 901) or 40 GB
(version 1000).
> More technical details:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC
>
> Both models are being sold along with the Linux distribution 'Xandros'
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xandros)
>
> Does anybody have any experience at all with some version of 'ASUS Eeee
> PC'? If you, did you already install Kubuntu on it? If so, how?
>
> Are there any other smaller model laptops you could advise me in
> combination with Kubuntu?

I have an EeePC 4G that just rocks. I changed out the kiddy desktop
system for an xfce desktop. I like that much better. I can swap back and
forth with just a couple clicks if I want to. Popped in an 8gig SD card
for a second "hard drive" and a couple USB dongles and it's ready to go.
Weighs two pounds and has about four hours of battery life. A standard
DVD player case makes a dandy case for it [ Radio shack had a really
nice one on sale for $19.00 ]. I also added a small USB mouse for
convenience. The Asus software repository for it is quite limited. I put
in a Debian repo to install a couple things and they worked out with no
problem.

It does have a few silly idiosyncrasies though. The people at Asus put
the system files [ root??? ] on one partition and everything else on a
second one. I've been trying to mod it to accept 2gig ram without much
success. At first glance it seems quite simple but .......... Load a
2gig enabled kernel into /boot/ and edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to boot
with the new kernel. I can't get the system to accept the changes to
menu.lst for some stupid reason. Also doesn't have a swap partition
either. It seems the word on the street is NOT to use the Asus repos for
updates. It seems to screw things up for some reason.

My other half got a 900 with XP [ just can not get her over to Linux
yet ]. It accepted 2gig ram with no issue. The "hard drive" is
partitioned into to drives for some silly reason. XP and all associated
files on the first and nothing on the second. Don't understand why they
did that but.................. The only thing she doesn't like about it
is the location of the speakers. On the 4G they are on either side of
the screen. On the 900, because of the larger scree, the speakers are on
the bottom of the computer. Sound quality suffers because of it. Her
battery life is a little less to.

There are, so far as I have heard, two Ubuntu versions specifically for
the Eee, Eeebuntu and Xeeebuntu [ I think is the name ]. I haven't heard
anything about a Keeebuntu yet. I have Eeebuntu downloaded but haven't
done anything with it yet. I wanted to install it on a USB dongle and
use it like a live CD before I tried installing it.

I have a new Gateway full size laptop [ excellent Kubuntu machine, by
the way ] but it's heavy and hard to carry around for most just day to
day stuff. The Asus EeePC is better than a PDA/PDA phone. Has more
features without that much gain in weight. I love it.

With Asus' success with the Eee I'm sure EVERYONE will be jumping on the
bandwagon soon.

Ronnie Tucker 07-04-2008 04:35 PM

Smaller model laptops in combination with Kubuntu - request for advise?

I did a write up on my blog about installing Kubuntu 8.04 Remix on the EEE:
http://ronnietucker.co.uk/blog/asus-eee-701-with-kubuntu-804-kde41/

Worked really well, even with the KDE 4.1 desktop effects on

Although I do admit, it has now been replaced by pupEEE, as I don't need
all the bells and whistles of KDE 4.1 :/

--
Ronnie Tucker

ronnie@ronnietucker.co.uk
www.RonnieTucker.co.uk

MSN: ronnietucker@hotmail.com

Registered Linux User # 456627
Registered Ubuntu User # 18227

Nigel Ridley 07-04-2008 05:38 PM

Jim wrote:
> O. Sinclair wrote:
>> Bas Roufs wrote:
>>
>>> Dear everybody
>>>
>>> A few weeks ago, a laptop from me has been stolen again. That's why I am
>>> looking for a lighter/ smaller laptop model that is more easy to always
>>> carry with me, but which can be combined with Kubuntu.
>>>
>>> At present, I am considering "ASUS Eeee PC", version 901 or version
>>> 1000. Both new versions seem to become available in September. Main
>>> technical specifications:
>>> 1,6 Ghz processor (both models), 1 GB RAM (version 901) or 2 GB RAM
>>> (version 1000), 20 GB 'solid state disk' (version 901) or 40 GB
>>> (version 1000).
>>> More technical details:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC
>>>
>>> Both models are being sold along with the Linux distribution 'Xandros'
>>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xandros)
>>>
>>> Does anybody have any experience at all with some version of 'ASUS Eeee
>>> PC'? If you, did you already install Kubuntu on it? If so, how?
>>>
>>> Are there any other smaller model laptops you could advise me in
>>> combination with Kubuntu?
>>>
>> This is as yet not released but apparently Dell will release a
>> minilaptop "real soon now":
>> http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9915094-1.html?tag=blog.1
>>
>> and since Dell generally does a good job of supporting Ubuntu that could
>> be an interesting way to go.
>>
>> Sinclair
>>

> I have a eeePC 702 8gb 1gb and Fedora 9 installed on it , Fedora had all
> drivers for hardware, with the exception of
> the Atheos wierless chipset ,I downloaded
> madwifii-nr-r3366+ar5007.tar.gz and compiled and it work great including
> WEP. The wireless chipset is a ar5007eg . livna.org has a madwifi driver
> also.
> The eeePC is much faster with the SSD, than the MSI or Everex that has
> a standard harddrive. Everex Cloud is dog slow.
> I would recommend the eeePC 901 or 1000 because of the 20gb SSD, that
> would give you plenty of space to install any Linux distro.
> I bought a ext. CD/DVD rom to install other OS and put in a 2gb memory
> for $41.00, speeded up noticeably .

How many writes can the 'hard disk' take, considering that it's flash memory? Linux does write a
lot to 'hard disk'.

Blessings,

Nigel

--
PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Jim 07-04-2008 07:51 PM

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>
>> O. Sinclair wrote:

>>> This is as yet not released but apparently Dell will release a
>>> minilaptop "real soon now":
>>> http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9915094-1.html?tag=blog.1
>>>
>>> and since Dell generally does a good job of supporting Ubuntu that could
>>> be an interesting way to go.
>>>
>>> Sinclair
>>>

>> I have a eeePC 702 8gb 1gb and Fedora 9 installed on it , Fedora had all
>> drivers for hardware, with the exception of
>> the Atheos wierless chipset ,I downloaded
>> madwifii-nr-r3366+ar5007.tar.gz and compiled and it work great including
>> WEP. The wireless chipset is a ar5007eg . livna.org has a madwifi driver
>> also.
>> The eeePC is much faster with the SSD, than the MSI or Everex that has
>> a standard harddrive. Everex Cloud is dog slow.
>> I would recommend the eeePC 901 or 1000 because of the 20gb SSD, that
>> would give you plenty of space to install any Linux distro.
>> I bought a ext. CD/DVD rom to install other OS and put in a 2gb memory
>> for $41.00, speeded up noticeably .
>>

> How many writes can the 'hard disk' take, considering that it's flash memory? Linux does write a
> lot to 'hard disk'.
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

I don't know how many writes the SSD would take, but I wouldn't get hung
up about the old fallacies about it burns out after 50 writes. I don't
have a SWAP partition on mine so that cuts down on a lot of writes, and
I have 2gb of memory so I
don't have to be that concern about writing to SSD.
I also have a Everex CloudBook 7" display and it has a hard drive and
it is slow as molasses , That is if you know what molasses is.

"Willy K. Hamra" 07-04-2008 08:51 PM

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>> O. Sinclair wrote:

>>> This is as yet not released but apparently Dell will release a
>>> minilaptop "real soon now":
>>> http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9915094-1.html?tag=blog.1
>>>
>>> and since Dell generally does a good job of supporting Ubuntu that could
>>> be an interesting way to go.
>>>
>>> Sinclair
>>>

>> I have a eeePC 702 8gb 1gb and Fedora 9 installed on it , Fedora had all
>> drivers for hardware, with the exception of
>> the Atheos wierless chipset ,I downloaded
>> madwifii-nr-r3366+ar5007.tar.gz and compiled and it work great including
>> WEP. The wireless chipset is a ar5007eg . livna.org has a madwifi driver
>> also.
>> The eeePC is much faster with the SSD, than the MSI or Everex that has
>> a standard harddrive. Everex Cloud is dog slow.
>> I would recommend the eeePC 901 or 1000 because of the 20gb SSD, that
>> would give you plenty of space to install any Linux distro.
>> I bought a ext. CD/DVD rom to install other OS and put in a 2gb memory
>> for $41.00, speeded up noticeably .
>>

> How many writes can the 'hard disk' take, considering that it's flash memory? Linux does write a
> lot to 'hard disk'.
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

I've heard that journalled file systems in particular write a lot to one
place on the disk, the journal, which fries up that area, so avoid
journalled file systems if you can.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Derek Broughton 07-05-2008 01:20 AM

Nigel Ridley wrote:

> How many writes can the 'hard disk' take, considering that it's flash
> memory? Linux does write a lot to 'hard disk'.

Why? I think if you turn off atime, and you don't use swap (it seems pretty
pointless on this sort of system), "Linux" shouldn't be writing any more
than any other OS. That said, I used to work for a major bank (over a
decade ago, now) and we were already switching to solid-state "disks".
It's hard to imagine today's flash memory being less reliable than
solid-state storage of pre-1995, and if it's good enough for a bank, it's
good enough for me.
--
derek