Old 07-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Bas Roufs

Default Smaller model laptops in combination with Kubuntu - request for advise?

Dear Everybody

Thanks again for all the useful reflections of today and the past few
days. Below I walk through some remaining points of attention.

> Have you seen the new Dell E? Google on dellmini and/or mini-inspiron

Today I checked it out, Nigel. Indeed, it looks interesting too. With
respect to the questions in your message "New Dell E (mini-inspiron)", I
can probably help you 'half way'.

> There seems to be a persistent rumor that the Linux OS will be Ubuntu Remix.

This website confirms the rumour:

http://www.miniinspiron.net/

However, I did find only a partial answer to this question:

> Anybody know if there will be a Kubuntu version of the 'Ubuntu Remix' for the the new Dell E...?

I am wondering whether it would be possible to install a kind of extra
Kubuntu layer on the 'Ubuntu Remix' engine at the Dell E.

Earlier in this thread, Ronnie Tucker mentioned his experience with
Kubuntu 8.04/KDE 4.1 at the Asus EEE 701
- a minilaptop with specifications that look similar to those of Dell E.

> I did a write up on my blog about installing Kubuntu 8.04 Remix on the EEE: http://ronnietucker.co.uk/blog/asus-eee-701-with-kubuntu-804-kde41/
>
> Worked really well, even with the KDE 4.1 desktop effects on...
The specs of the Dell E look quite similar to those of the Asus EEE 701.
That's why I can imagine that Kubuntu at the Dell E must be realist
option too.

Richard Ibbotson wrote:

> You can install from a USB stick ....

Does anyone have experience with installing from a USB stick? What needs
to be done to get the stick functioning as a 'live CD'?

> ...but I find a USB based CD or DVD drive is a lot easier.

Can one or a few persons mention a few examples of such external 'USB
based CD or DVD disk drives'? What are the experiences with each of
them? Such questions are relevant for different mini laptops I have seen
so far.

Finally, I am still wondering what exactly is the difference between a
'Hard Disk' (HD) and a 'Solid State Disk' (SSD).

So far for this moment. Respectfully Yours,

Bas Roufs.

--
Viaconsensus

Rainbow News, views and visions: CircleLetterRainbow.net

European Rainbow Gathering in Serbia: Eurogathering.Rainbowinfo.net

Open source operating system: Linux - Kubuntu 7.10, Kubuntu.org