Old 07-05-2008, 12:00 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default Smaller model laptops in combination with Kubuntu - request for advise?

2008/7/4 Jim <mickeyboa@sbcglobal.net>:
> I don't
> have a SWAP partition on mine so that cuts down on a lot of writes, and
> I have 2gb of memory so I
> don't have to be that concern about writing to SSD.

Without a swap partition, can the device suspend to RAM?

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 07-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Derek Broughton

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> 2008/7/4 Jim <mickeyboa@sbcglobal.net>:
>> I don't
>> have a SWAP partition on mine so that cuts down on a lot of writes, and
>> I have 2gb of memory so I
>> don't have to be that concern about writing to SSD.
>
> Without a swap partition, can the device suspend to RAM?

No. Is it necessary? I've never seen much value for something between Sleep
and Hibernate. It can't suspend to Disk, either, without a swap partition
but if you need to be able hibernate, you can always create a swap
partition that is _not_ normally used for swap.

I'm still perplexed about Nigel's implication that Linux causes more writes
to disk than other OSes. It just doesn't seem logical.
--
derek

Old 07-05-2008, 03:03 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/7/5 Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca>:
> No. Is it necessary?

If the machine takes more than 5 seconds to boot up, then yes.

> I've never seen much value for something between Sleep
> and Hibernate.

Near-instant on. Not very important for a desktop, critical for a laptop.

> It can't suspend to Disk, either, without a swap partition
> but if you need to be able hibernate, you can always create a swap
> partition that is _not_ normally used for swap.

Good point.

> I'm still perplexed about Nigel's implication that Linux causes more writes
> to disk than other OSes. It just doesn't seem logical.

He said that Linux writes 'a lot'. He didn't compare Linux to other
OSes. I breathe 'a lot'. But I probably don't breathe any more than
the average KDE user.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 07-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Derek Broughton

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> 2008/7/5 Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca>:
>> No. Is it necessary?
>
> If the machine takes more than 5 seconds to boot up, then yes.
>
>> I've never seen much value for something between Sleep
>> and Hibernate.
>
> Near-instant on. Not very important for a desktop, critical for a laptop.

Hardly "critical". I don't use it. Obviously, mileage may vary :-)

>> I'm still perplexed about Nigel's implication that Linux causes more
>> writes
>> to disk than other OSes. It just doesn't seem logical.
>
> He said that Linux writes 'a lot'. He didn't compare Linux to other
> OSes. I breathe 'a lot'. But I probably don't breathe any more than
> the average KDE user.

LOL. That's why I said "implication". Everything writes "a lot", but to
single out Linux implies it does so more than other options. I'm fairly
sure there's nothing special about Linux - except that "atime" is the
default for many distros - but there may be specific filesystems that will
write more, or less. Obviously as noted in another branch of this thread,
journalling is an issue.
--
derek

Old 07-07-2008, 06:54 PM
"Juan Kawada"

Though I haven't tried it for myself, I've heard that it's easy to get kubuntu onto an eee, and to keep it running as long as you know what your doing. Probably even if you don't.

Sorry, I don't mean to take this thread off topic (more than it is already), but

"I breathe 'a
lot'. But I probably don't breathe any more than the average KDE user"
made me laugh. maybe even sig worthy ; )

Old 07-13-2008, 06:34 PM
"Hector Barrios Molano"

Hello

I'm interest to buy a "netbook" too, I have been decided for the VIA openbook that it's a open design, what do you think about this model?

for specifications : here*

Hector E. Barrios

Old 07-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Bas Roufs

Hello everybody

Thanks for all the useful input so far in this thread!

> I'm interest to buy a "netbook" too, I have been decided for the VIA
> openbook that it's a open design, what do you think about this model?
> for specifications <tr_1215972961261> : here
> <http://www.viaopenbook.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1&Itemid =2>

With interest I have taken a look at the website www.viaopenbook.com
It looks like a kind of Open Source design model, made under the
so-called 'creative commons' license.

Most of the technical specifications look perfectly acceptable to me.
(See viaopenbook.com, click at 'specifications.) However, I have
questions about two major items amongst them.

The main data storage medium is an 80 GB 'Hard Disk' (HD). To which
extend is that one 'shock proof'?

The battery has the following specs: 4 Cells, 2600ma. How much time
'autonomous battery life' do they have?

Finally - is there already anybody who has practical experience with
'Via OpenBook' in combination with Kubuntu?

Respectfully Yours,

Bas.

--
*************************
Viaconsensus

Rainbow News, views and visions: CircleLetterRainbow.net

European Rainbow Gathering in Serbia: Eurogathering.Rainbowinfo.net

Open source operating system: Linux - Kubuntu 7.10, Kubuntu.org

Old 07-19-2008, 06:10 PM
"Hector Barrios Molano"

Hello.

Bas, the VIA OpenBook is just a model desing, it never going to be "commercial", it's a guide for companies who base theirs model on it, some of these companies are Everex and exists rumors that Sony will base on VIA OpenBook, and we'll see the same (or almost the same) model but with different name for example the Everex's cloudbook max. Whaterver, none of the VIA OpenBook based device are commercial now (that i know).

For the smaller laptops (somebody calls "netbooks") that are commericial, the best choise, for me,* is the Aspire One, good price, good look, good prestations,

I like the blue one, someone knows how can I get one if I live in Colombia?

Here a review of the Acer Aspire One

And one more thing, there is evidence that in August Dell will launch the Dell E, it's supossed that will cost ~$300, in august we'll see.

Have a good day guys.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:47 AM
Nigel Ridley

Bas Roufs wrote:
> Dear everybody
>
> A few weeks ago, a laptop from me has been stolen again. That's why I am
> looking for a lighter/ smaller laptop model that is more easy to always
> carry with me, but which can be combined with Kubuntu.
>
> At present, I am considering "ASUS Eeee PC", version 901 or version
> 1000. Both new versions seem to become available in September. Main
> technical specifications:
> 1,6 Ghz processor (both models), 1 GB RAM (version 901) or 2 GB RAM
> (version 1000), 20 GB 'solid state disk' (version 901) or 40 GB
> (version 1000).
> More technical details:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC
>
> Both models are being sold along with the Linux distribution 'Xandros'
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xandros)
>
> Does anybody have any experience at all with some version of 'ASUS Eeee
> PC'? If you, did you already install Kubuntu on it? If so, how?
>
> Are there any other smaller model laptops you could advise me in
> combination with Kubuntu?
>
> Thanks for your reflections.
>

> Bas.

Have you seen the new Dell E?
Google on dellmini and/or mini-inspiron

Blessings,

Nigel

--
PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Old 07-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Richard Ibbotson

Hi

> > Does anybody have any experience at all with some version of
> > 'ASUS Eeee PC'? If you, did you already install Kubuntu on it? If
> > so, how?

Sound and video work straight out of the box with the 701 8Gb version. *
You can install from a USB stick but I find a USB based CD or DVD
drive is a lot easier. *Plug in and press ESC twice on start up. *
More info.....

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ubuntu:kubuntu:home
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/getting_ubuntu_8.04_to_work_perfectly
http://www.ubuntu-eee.com/index.php5?title=Main_Page