Old 07-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Edmund Laugasson

Default black border problem

> im sorry for my english... im from brazil..

Don't worry, we understand you quite well. My motherlanguage is also not english...

> so... my problem is that a installed kubuntu 8.04 in my notebook toshiba
> 1800 and the screen has now black border over the four sides...

It seems like it's Toshiba Satellite 1800.

The search http://www.google.com/search?q=toshiba+1800 gave me the address (4th link)
http://michaelminn.com/linux/toshiba1800/ which is "Linux on the Toshiba Satellite 1800-S203" and
there is Ubuntu used for example and this article is written on 24th June 2008, so quite fresh story.

There is also exact xorg.conf written down - perhaps can you get some ideas from there. I will not
copy whole example here - you can read it yourself and test that xorg.conf
Be sure you will do backup at first from your original xorg.conf file:
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg_original.conf

It seems like this laptop is using some kind of trident device as graphic card and kernel driver
module name is also trident.

> I am googling this problem for the past 2 days and I tried many things,

I tried this search - http://www.google.com/search?q=toshiba+1800+black+borders

... and results:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4802426 - same problem with same laptop

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=763964 - here is one solution for you

Read carefully these forums - there are different experiences from different people - you have just
try these different solutions to find out, what is best for your laptop.

E.g. here - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=763964&page=2 is another xorg.conf example for
you - try this.

And keep in mind, that if X will not start, then use CTRL+ALT+F1...F6 to get console and ALT+F1...F6
to switch between virtual consoles at terminal. ALT+F7 will get you back into X session at display :0
Also there is useful to have in GRUB recovery mode - then you will get your laptop booted even when
X is not working. Actually you should get your laptop booted even if X will not start. You will be
just noticed, that there was some problems during X start and you will get terminal to log in.

Also investigate log files:
/var/log/Xorg.0.log - main log file examining X errors
/var/log/messages - there will be also system messages about X behaviour
/var/log/debug - also there might be some messages
/var/log/kdm.log - K Display Manager log might also give some information (if you use KDE)

Best Regards,
Edmund