-   -   Services (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/118466-services.html)

"D. R. Evans" 07-03-2008 08:05 PM

Services

Peter O'Reilly said the following at 07/03/2008 12:38 PM :
> I have a service called 'noip' that is supposed to start at bootup.
>
> In the left hand pane is says start at bootup 'Yes' and 'service is not running' (but is is running)
>
> When I start the service I get this error,
>
> Starting dynamic address update: /usr/bin/noip2 already running.
> noip2.
>

> There are other services, like postfix, that are supposed to start at bootup but aren't.

When it comes to this area, Kubuntu has always left me wondering what on
Earth is going on.

The most important thing I have to say is to reassure you that almost
certainly everything is OK (for some value of the work "OK"). My system,
for example, also has postfix running and has postfix set to run at boot,
but System Settings in KDE happily tells me that it is not running. Ditto
for lots of other services.

Coming from Mandriva, this makes no sense to me. But I've gradually come to
accept that Kubuntu has some (unknown) rationale for the reason why it
tells me that things aren't running when manifestly they are. To me, it's
one of those "life is too short for me to try to figure out what was going
on in the authors' minds when they wrote this part of the GUI" things.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Peter O'Reilly 07-03-2008 10:09 PM

Services

Yes they are enabled in "system settings --> advanced --> System services ??"

This services interface is completely broken and does not work at all. This is a major bug.

I can't tell if a service is running unless I try and start/stop/restart....on every service listed.

On Thursday 03 July 2008, Peter O'Reilly wrote:
> I have a service called 'noip' that is supposed to start at bootup.
>
> In the left hand pane is says start at bootup 'Yes' and 'service is not
> running' (but is is running)
>
> When I start the service I get this error,
>
> Starting dynamic address update: /usr/bin/noip2 already running.
> noip2.
>

> There are other services, like postfix, that are supposed to start at
> bootup but aren't.

Are these other services enabled in your:

system settings --> advanced --> System services ??

If so, then check your boot messages (dmesg) and see if there are errors.

Also check /var/log/messages or /var/log/daemon.log
or /var/log/syslog

There's lots of places to look for the problem.

Bruce Marshall 07-03-2008 10:21 PM

Services

On Thursday 03 July 2008, D. R. Evans wrote:

> Coming from Mandriva, this makes no sense to me. But I've gradually come to

> accept that Kubuntu has some (unknown) rationale for the reason why it

> tells me that things aren't running when manifestly they are. To me, it's

> one of those "life is too short for me to try to figure out what was going

> on in the authors' minds when they wrote this part of the GUI" things.

I'm not sure it is kubuntu's fault, other than using KDE to check on system services.

Most other distros (I came from SuSE) use their own system tools to configure hardware and services. I wasn't even aware that KDE had a services module.

But I would lay the blame with the KDE services routine for any confusion.

"O. Sinclair" 07-04-2008 06:21 AM

Services

Peter O'Reilly wrote:
> Yes they are enabled in "system settings --> advanced --> System services ??"
>
> This services interface is completely broken and does not work at all. This is a major bug.
>
> I can't tell if a service is running unless I try and start/stop/restart....on every service listed.

never thought about this before but for sure the System Service module
does not seem to do the job. Example: I run the WICD for wireless and
Firestarter firewall - System service reports both services as "not
running" when I can very easily see that they are.

Anyone knows an alternative kde gui for this?

Sinclair

Nigel Henry 07-04-2008 10:14 AM

Services

On Friday 04 July 2008 08:21, O. Sinclair wrote:
> Peter O'Reilly wrote:
> > Yes they are enabled in "system settings --> advanced --> System
> > services ??"
> >
> > This services interface is completely broken and does not work at all.
> > This is a major bug.
> >
> > I can't tell if a service is running unless I try and
> > start/stop/restart....on every service listed.

Don't know about a KDE one, but I install the "sysv-rc-conf" package on my
Debian, and Kubuntu installs. It's as root on the command line, and is
interactive.
sudo sysv-rc-conf

Nigel.

"D. R. Evans" 07-04-2008 04:58 PM

Services

Peter O'Reilly said the following at 07/03/2008 09:48 AM :
> Several services say 'not running', some are some aren't.
>
> all are supposed to start at bootup...is this a bug?

I have filed bug #245596.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Derek Broughton 07-04-2008 06:25 PM

Services

Peter O'Reilly wrote:

> Yes they are enabled in "system settings --> advanced --> System
> services ??"
>
> This services interface is completely broken and does not work at all.
> This is a major bug.

Pfui! What's "major" about a bug that consists of not actually telling you
something is running when it is, and should be? It's a tiny little UI
problem.

And please stop top-posting...
--
derek

Derek Broughton 07-04-2008 06:28 PM

Services

Bruce Marshall wrote:

> On Thursday 03 July 2008, D. R. Evans wrote:
>> Coming from Mandriva, this makes no sense to me. But I've gradually come
>> to accept that Kubuntu has some (unknown) rationale for the reason why it
>> tells me that things aren't running when manifestly they are. To me, it's
>> one of those "life is too short for me to try to figure out what was
>> going on in the authors' minds when they wrote this part of the GUI"
>> things.
>
> I'm not sure it is kubuntu's fault, other than using KDE to check on
> system services.
>
> Most other distros (I came from SuSE) use their own system tools to
> configure hardware and services. I wasn't even aware that KDE had a
> services module.
>
> But I would lay the blame with the KDE services routine for any confusion.

Actually, at first blush, I'd fix the blame on the services. As near as I
can tell, anything that is setting a pid file in /var/run will show as
running, anything that doesn't, won't. Not a KDE bug at all (and certainly
not a serious one).
--
derek

"D. R. Evans" 07-05-2008 12:14 AM

Services

D. R. Evans said the following at 07/04/2008 10:58 AM :
> Peter O'Reilly said the following at 07/03/2008 09:48 AM :
>> Several services say 'not running', some are some aren't.
>>
>> all are supposed to start at bootup...is this a bug?
>>

> I have filed bug #245596.

Response to bug #245596:

----

Thank you for taking time to file this bug and help us make Ubuntu
better. Can you ask some of the other users you mentioned to confirm
this bug?

----

Can some of the others here please confirm the problem at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/245596, so that they know it's not just me?

Thanks.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Bruce Marshall 07-07-2008 05:57 PM

Services

On Friday 04 July 2008, D. R. Evans wrote:
> Response to bug #245596:
>
> ----
>
> Thank you for taking time to file this bug and help us make Ubuntu
> better. Can you ask some of the other users you mentioned to confirm
> this bug?
>
> ----
>
> Can some of the others here please confirm the problem at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/245596, so that they know it's not just me?

Just added a comment to this. Seems to be due to placement of some PID files
within directories off /var/run instead of within /var/run itself.