Old 07-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Peter O'Reilly

Default Services

Several services say 'not running', some are some aren't.

all are supposed to start at bootup...is this a bug?

Pete

Old 07-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Thursday 03 July 2008, Peter O'Reilly wrote:
> Several services say 'not running', some are some aren't.
>
> all are supposed to start at bootup...is this a bug?
>
> Pete

Uhhh maybe you could tell us *what* services you think should be running??

Many services are not needed and therefore are not started.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Peter O'Reilly

I have a service called 'noip' that is supposed to start at bootup.

In the left hand pane is says start at bootup 'Yes' and 'service is not running' (but is is running)

When I start the service I get this error,

Starting dynamic address update: /usr/bin/noip2 already running.
noip2.

There are other services, like postfix, that are supposed to start at bootup but aren't.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Thursday 03 July 2008, Peter O'Reilly wrote:
> I have a service called 'noip' that is supposed to *start at bootup.
>
> In the left hand pane is says start at bootup 'Yes' and 'service is not
> running' (but is is running)
>
> When I start the service I get this error,
>
> Starting dynamic address update: /usr/bin/noip2 already running.
> noip2.
>

> There are other services, like postfix, that are supposed to start at
> bootup but aren't.

Are these other services enabled in your:

system settings --> advanced --> System services ??

If so, then check your boot messages (dmesg) and see if there are errors.

Also check /var/log/messages or /var/log/daemon.log
or /var/log/syslog

There's lots of places to look for the problem.