FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Michael
 
Default Google Earth / lib32nss-mdns

8.04
------

I have successfully installed GoogleEarth. However, it won't connect to
the internet which apparently is due to something that only shows up as
Error 29. After googling "googleearth" and "error 29", the only
solution that was posted was to install lib32nss-mdns.
When I sudo apt-get install lib32nss-mdns, it says file not found. Is
there a repository that contains this file?

Michael

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Steven Vollom
 
Default Google Earth / lib32nss-mdns

Michael wrote:
> 8.04
> ------
>
> I have successfully installed GoogleEarth. However, it won't connect to
> the internet which apparently is due to something that only shows up as
> Error 29. After googling "googleearth" and "error 29", the only
> solution that was posted was to install lib32nss-mdns.
> When I sudo apt-get install lib32nss-mdns, it says file not found. Is
> there a repository that contains this file?
>
> Michael
>
>
Dear Michael,

When I had Kubuntu Gutsy as my OS, there was a program called
Automatix2. It contained all the programs that decode movies and the
like, as well as Google Earth. It apparently contained the appropriate
dependencies to make it work. Since I installed Hardy, I have noticed
that certain things do not work that did in Gutsy. Automatix2 is one of
them. Perhaps the software that is needed is not made yet. I don't
know. I haven't installed it yet. I will try to see if I can install
Google Earth using Adept Package Manager, if it works, I will let you
know.

I have cleaned up and organized the work area at the church. The
cabinets below the desk contain most of what is needed. I made a
portable workbench out of one of the carts and put Hard Drives on the
second shelf. I put the only Motherboard that I found on the top,
screwed to a board that is clamped onto the cart. I think it will work
better than using the desk, because it is portable. You can rotate it
to work from the side or back if that helps installation of anything.

I tried to install Kubuntu on a couple of hard drives, but did not have
my copy of Gparted, so I was unable to take the HD from Windows to
Kubuntu. If you are able to partition to an Ext3 file type and are
there before the work is completed, you can finish what I started.
There is a copy of Kubuntu 8.04 in the file on the right. Tools are in
the smallest drawer in the center of the right computer. The smaller
computer that has a 2000 installation belongs to Charlie Lightle. It
needs inistallation work so that it will function.

They have not provided us with any Legal copies of Windows Os's, so I
don't know how we can make Windows systems. They are preferred by
people who like to play games; Kubuntu doesn't do that very well. I
sure would appreciate your ideas.

If I can get a copy of Gutsy, I will. That may make your Google Earth
problem go away.

Steven

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Steven Vollom
 
Default Google Earth / lib32nss-mdns

Michael wrote:
> 8.04
> ------
>
> I have successfully installed GoogleEarth. However, it won't connect to
> the internet which apparently is due to something that only shows up as
> Error 29. After googling "googleearth" and "error 29", the only
> solution that was posted was to install lib32nss-mdns.
> When I sudo apt-get install lib32nss-mdns, it says file not found. Is
> there a repository that contains this file?
>
> Michael
>
>
Dear Michael,

I responded because I thought you were a friend from Church. If I have
the wrong person, I need to know the Operating System you are attempting
to install GoogleEarth to help. My OS is Kubuntu Hardy Heron. I use
the KDE desktop and it is easy to install using Adept Package Manager.
The last Selection, when you type in googleearth, is the only package
you need download to get it up and working. It includes the necessary
dependencies to function. If you are operating Windows, you need to
download you program from Google. Then re-installation would probably
fix your problem.

Steven-

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Michael
 
Default Google Earth / lib32nss-mdns

Steven Vollom wrote:
> Michael wrote:
>
>> 8.04
>> ------
>>
>> I have successfully installed GoogleEarth. However, it won't connect to
>> the internet which apparently is due to something that only shows up as
>> Error 29. After googling "googleearth" and "error 29", the only
>> solution that was posted was to install lib32nss-mdns.
>> When I sudo apt-get install lib32nss-mdns, it says file not found. Is
>> there a repository that contains this file?
>>
>> Michael
>>
>>
>>
> Dear Michael,
>
> I responded because I thought you were a friend from Church. If I have
> the wrong person, I need to know the Operating System you are attempting
> to install GoogleEarth to help. My OS is Kubuntu Hardy Heron. I use
> the KDE desktop and it is easy to install using Adept Package Manager.
> The last Selection, when you type in googleearth, is the only package
> you need download to get it up and working. It includes the necessary
> dependencies to function. If you are operating Windows, you need to
> download you program from Google. Then re-installation would probably
> fix your problem.
>
> Steven-
>

Kubuntu 8.04

Steven,

The program installed just fine. However, when I run GoogleEarth, it is
unable
to connect to the internet and gives me an error code 29. I googled
this and the
only solution the appeared was to install lib32nss-mdns. When I apt-get
this, it
says there is no package lib32nss-mdns. There is a libnss-mdns package
that
is already installed. For now, I am rebooting into XP to run
GoogleEarth. Hopefully,
somebody will give me a clue.

Michael


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Mark Fraser
 
Default Google Earth / lib32nss-mdns

On Thursday 03 July 2008 16:19:00 Michael wrote:
> 8.04
> ------
>
> I have successfully installed GoogleEarth. However, it won't connect to
> the internet which apparently is due to something that only shows up as
> Error 29. After googling "googleearth" and "error 29", the only
> solution that was posted was to install lib32nss-mdns.
> When I sudo apt-get install lib32nss-mdns, it says file not found. Is
> there a repository that contains this file?

How did you install GoogleEarth?

--
Registered Linux User #466407 http://counter.li.org


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-04-2008, 01:51 AM
Steven Vollom
 
Default Google Earth / lib32nss-mdns

Michael wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>
>> Michael wrote:
>>
>>
>>> 8.04
>>> ------
>>>
>>> I have successfully installed GoogleEarth. However, it won't connect to
>>> the internet which apparently is due to something that only shows up as
>>> Error 29. After googling "googleearth" and "error 29", the only
>>> solution that was posted was to install lib32nss-mdns.
>>> When I sudo apt-get install lib32nss-mdns, it says file not found. Is
>>> there a repository that contains this file?
>>>
>>> Michael
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> Dear Michael,
>>
>> I responded because I thought you were a friend from Church. If I have
>> the wrong person, I need to know the Operating System you are attempting
>> to install GoogleEarth to help. My OS is Kubuntu Hardy Heron. I use
>> the KDE desktop and it is easy to install using Adept Package Manager.
>> The last Selection, when you type in googleearth, is the only package
>> you need download to get it up and working. It includes the necessary
>> dependencies to function. If you are operating Windows, you need to
>> download you program from Google. Then re-installation would probably
>> fix your problem.
>>
>> Steven-
>>
>>
>
> Kubuntu 8.04
>
> Steven,
>
> The program installed just fine. However, when I run GoogleEarth, it is
> unable
> to connect to the internet and gives me an error code 29. I googled
> this and the
> only solution the appeared was to install lib32nss-mdns. When I apt-get
> this, it
> says there is no package lib32nss-mdns. There is a libnss-mdns package
> that
> is already installed. For now, I am rebooting into XP to run
> GoogleEarth. Hopefully,
> somebody will give me a clue.
>
> Michael
>
>
>
Are you using Kubuntu 8.04 as an operating system? Also are you using
KDE 4? I have those as my operating system and desktop and downloaded
GoogleEarth using Adept Package Manager. It works perfectly. If you
are using a different operating system or desktop it helps to know. I
couldn't get Ktorrent to work until I upgraded to KDE4. Now everything
works great. I haven't used it long enough to find if there are any
bugs that I am not used to, but so far it works perfect. The package
libnss-mdns is not in Adept Package Manager unless it is a part of the
GoggleEarth package which I suspect it is. If you are using Microsoft
Windows, it is a different OS, and I am not too familiar with it.
Additionally, sometimes other Linux OS's have a program called Synaptic
Package Manager; if you have that program and operate using Linux, you
can download GoogleEarth using it, and I believe it will provide all
dependencies that are needed to run the program. I am sorry I can't
help you any better, my experience is not extensive.

Steven

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-04-2008, 04:07 AM
"O. Sinclair"
 
Default Google Earth / lib32nss-mdns

Steven Vollom wrote:
> Michael wrote:
>> Steven Vollom wrote:
>>
>>> Michael wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> 8.04
>>>> ------
>>>>
>>>> I have successfully installed GoogleEarth. However, it won't connect to
>>>> the internet which apparently is due to something that only shows up as
>>>> Error 29. After googling "googleearth" and "error 29", the only
>>>> solution that was posted was to install lib32nss-mdns.
>>>> When I sudo apt-get install lib32nss-mdns, it says file not found. Is
>>>> there a repository that contains this file?
>>>>
>>>> Michael
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>> Dear Michael,
>>>
>>> I responded because I thought you were a friend from Church. If I have
>>> the wrong person, I need to know the Operating System you are attempting
>>> to install GoogleEarth to help. My OS is Kubuntu Hardy Heron. I use
>>> the KDE desktop and it is easy to install using Adept Package Manager.
>>> The last Selection, when you type in googleearth, is the only package
>>> you need download to get it up and working. It includes the necessary
>>> dependencies to function. If you are operating Windows, you need to
>>> download you program from Google. Then re-installation would probably
>>> fix your problem.
>>>
>>> Steven-
>>>
>>>
>> Kubuntu 8.04
>>
>> Steven,
>>
>> The program installed just fine. However, when I run GoogleEarth, it is
>> unable
>> to connect to the internet and gives me an error code 29. I googled
>> this and the
>> only solution the appeared was to install lib32nss-mdns. When I apt-get
>> this, it
>> says there is no package lib32nss-mdns. There is a libnss-mdns package
>> that
>> is already installed. For now, I am rebooting into XP to run
>> GoogleEarth. Hopefully,
>> somebody will give me a clue.
>>
>> Michael
>>
>>
>>
> Are you using Kubuntu 8.04 as an operating system? Also are you using
> KDE 4? I have those as my operating system and desktop and downloaded
> GoogleEarth using Adept Package Manager. It works perfectly. If you
> are using a different operating system or desktop it helps to know. I
> couldn't get Ktorrent to work until I upgraded to KDE4. Now everything
> works great. I haven't used it long enough to find if there are any
> bugs that I am not used to, but so far it works perfect. The package
> libnss-mdns is not in Adept Package Manager unless it is a part of the
> GoggleEarth package which I suspect it is. If you are using Microsoft
> Windows, it is a different OS, and I am not too familiar with it.
> Additionally, sometimes other Linux OS's have a program called Synaptic
> Package Manager; if you have that program and operate using Linux, you
> can download GoogleEarth using it, and I believe it will provide all
> dependencies that are needed to run the program. I am sorry I can't
> help you any better, my experience is not extensive.
Maybe need to point out that for GoogleEarth to be in the package
manager you need the medibuntu software repository:
www.medibuntu.org
as this is non-free software it will not be in the list by default.

I have installed using the "download from Google" version and followed
their instructions and it works perfect. Since somewhere around 7.04
Kubuntu.

It once stopped working, I then reinstalled and it worked again.

Regards,
Sinclair

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Michael
 
Default Google Earth / lib32nss-mdns

Mark Fraser wrote:
> On Thursday 03 July 2008 16:19:00 Michael wrote:
>
>> 8.04
>> ------
>>
>> I have successfully installed GoogleEarth. However, it won't connect to
>> the internet which apparently is due to something that only shows up as
>> Error 29. After googling "googleearth" and "error 29", the only
>> solution that was posted was to install lib32nss-mdns.
>> When I sudo apt-get install lib32nss-mdns, it says file not found. Is
>> there a repository that contains this file?
>>
>
> How did you install GoogleEarth?
>

I ended up having to re-installing Kubuntu 8.04 'cause I hosed my Adept
package manager somehow. After installing, I immediately initiated an
upgrade. Firefox and Thunderbird are not installed by default, so I
added those. Finally, I got around to farting around with Google Earth
again. After adding the repository I found at
http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/06/24/install-google-earth-on-ubuntu-804/
I installed it via Adept. I no longer get the Error 29 message. I
still have some issues, but I think (not sure yet) that has to do with
my VIA graphics board.

Hope everyone had a great Fourth of July weekend.

Michael


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:01 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org