Old 07-03-2008, 06:55 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Default kmail/kontact and FF3

In firefox 3 I clicked on a mailto: link and was told to choose between
kmail and yahoo mail. However, clicking in Kmail absolutely nothing
happens. Anyone knows why and how to make FF3 call Kmail/Kontact when
clicking on mailto: links?

btw on Kubuntu 8.04 w updates,

Sinclair

Old 07-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Jonathan Dlouhy

In firefox 3 I clicked on a mailto: link and was told to choose between
kmail and yahoo mail. However, clicking in Kmail absolutely nothing
happens. Anyone knows why and how to make FF3 call Kmail/Kontact when
clicking on mailto: links?

btw on Kubuntu 8.04 w updates,

Sinclair

Sinclair, have you gone to System/Preferences/Preferred Applications? If not, you can set several things there including default email, browser, etc.

Cheers,

--

Jonathan Dlouhy

==========

Quantum Computers

404-428-7088

www.quantumcomputerguys.com

Old 07-03-2008, 01:25 PM
"O. Sinclair"

Jonathan Dlouhy wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 08:55 +0200, O. Sinclair wrote:
>> In firefox 3 I clicked on a mailto: link and was told to choose between
>> kmail and yahoo mail. However, clicking in Kmail absolutely nothing
>> happens. Anyone knows why and how to make FF3 call Kmail/Kontact when
>> clicking on mailto: links?
>>
>> btw on Kubuntu 8.04 w updates,
>>
>> Sinclair
>
> Sinclair, have you gone to System/Preferences/Preferred Applications? If
> not, you can set several things there including default email, browser, etc.
Yes I have and FF is set as browser and Kmail as mail application. This
comes from "inside" Firefox as it suggest Yahoo mail as alternative
(that I NEVER use...)

Old 07-08-2008, 10:40 PM
"Juan Kawada"

lots of people seem to be having this problem (there is another thread about this in the mailing list too) but that I've seen there is no answer yet.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Derek Broughton

Juan Kawada wrote:

> lots of people seem to be having this problem (there is another thread
> about this in the mailing list too) but that I've seen there is no answer
> yet.
>
> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 7:25 AM, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Jonathan Dlouhy wrote:

>> > Sinclair, have you gone to System/Preferences/Preferred Applications?
>> > If not, you can set several things there including default email,
>> > browser,
>> etc.
>> Yes I have and FF is set as browser and Kmail as mail application. This
>> comes from "inside" Firefox as it suggest Yahoo mail as alternative
>> (that I NEVER use...)

Sorry to come so late to this - I don't use FF for anything except bad
websites that don't behave properly with Konqueror, but my wife does, and
now I find myself up against the same problem. There is a good howto at:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/firefox-3.0-email-links-no-thunderbird-650845/page2.html#post3195097

for making FF3 work with Thunderbird, and simply replacing all occurrences
of "thunderbird" with "kmail" makes it possible to invoke kmail from inside
FF3, but I haven't actually figured out how to fill in the Subject yet.
--
derek

Old 07-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Derek Broughton

Juan Kawada wrote:

> lots of people seem to be having this problem (there is another thread
> about this in the mailing list too) but that I've seen there is no answer
> yet.
>
> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 7:25 AM, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Jonathan Dlouhy wrote:

>> > Sinclair, have you gone to System/Preferences/Preferred Applications?
>> > If not, you can set several things there including default email,
>> > browser,
>> etc.
>> Yes I have and FF is set as browser and Kmail as mail application. This
>> comes from "inside" Firefox as it suggest Yahoo mail as alternative
>> (that I NEVER use...)

Sorry to come so late to this - I don't use FF for anything except bad
websites that don't behave properly with Konqueror, but my wife does, and
now I find myself up against the same problem. There is a good howto at:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/firefox-3.0-email-links-no-thunderbird-650845/page2.html#post3195097

for making FF3 work with Thunderbird, and simply replacing all occurrences
of "thunderbird" with "kmail" makes it possible to invoke kmail from inside
FF3, but I haven't actually figured out how to fill in To/Subject yet.
--
derek

Old 07-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Sunday 20 July 2008, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Sorry to come so late to this - I don't use FF for anything except bad
> websites that don't behave properly with Konqueror, but my wife does, and
> now I find myself up against the same problem. *There is a good howto at:
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/firefox-3.0-email-link
>s-no-thunderbird-650845/page2.html#post3195097
>
> for making FF3 work with Thunderbird, and simply replacing all occurrences
> of "thunderbird" with "kmail" makes it possible to invoke kmail from inside
> FF3, but I haven't actually figured out how to fill in To/Subject yet.

Late but OK.....

The link above worked........ Thanks!

Old 07-21-2008, 06:46 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Sunday 20 July 2008, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Sorry to come so late to this - I don't use FF for anything except bad
>> websites that don't behave properly with Konqueror, but my wife does, and
>> now I find myself up against the same problem. There is a good howto at:
>> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/firefox-3.0-email-link
>> s-no-thunderbird-650845/page2.html#post3195097
>>
>> for making FF3 work with Thunderbird, and simply replacing all occurrences
>> of "thunderbird" with "kmail" makes it possible to invoke kmail from inside
>> FF3, but I haven't actually figured out how to fill in To/Subject yet.
>
> Late but OK.....
>
> The link above worked........ Thanks!

After some attempts I also got it working, thanks! Been looking for this
"forever". Strange that it is so tricky to get something so seemingly
simple to work.

Sinclair

Old 07-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Derek Broughton

Bruce Marshall wrote:

> On Sunday 20 July 2008, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Sorry to come so late to this - I don't use FF for anything except bad
>> websites that don't behave properly with Konqueror, but my wife does, and
>> now I find myself up against the same problem. *There is a good howto at:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/firefox-3.0-email-link
>>s-no-thunderbird-650845/page2.html#post3195097
>>
>> for making FF3 work with Thunderbird, and simply replacing all
>> occurrences of "thunderbird" with "kmail" makes it possible to invoke
>> kmail from inside FF3, but I haven't actually figured out how to fill in
>> To/Subject yet.

I tried to modify that before it posted... Actually the "To" gets supplied
properly when clicking on a "mailto:" link, but "subject" doesn't get
filled in. It's useless for using the "Send link" menu option, as neither
the subject or body are filled. I gave up and decided to have it use GMail
as my mailer.

> Late but OK.....
>
> The link above worked........ Thanks!

It's certainly a correct start. Perhaps somebody else has an understanding
of Netscape's RDF format and knows how to supply the remaining parameters.
--
derek

Old 07-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Derek Broughton

O. Sinclair wrote:

> Bruce Marshall wrote:
>> On Sunday 20 July 2008, Derek Broughton wrote:
>>> Sorry to come so late to this - I don't use FF for anything except bad
>>> websites that don't behave properly with Konqueror, but my wife does,
>>> and
>>> now I find myself up against the same problem. There is a good howto
>>> at:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/firefox-3.0-email-link
>>> s-no-thunderbird-650845/page2.html#post3195097
>>>
>>> for making FF3 work with Thunderbird, and simply replacing all
>>> occurrences of "thunderbird" with "kmail" makes it possible to invoke
>>> kmail from inside FF3, but I haven't actually figured out how to fill in
>>> To/Subject yet.
>>
>> Late but OK.....
>>
>> The link above worked........ Thanks!
>>
> After some attempts I also got it working, thanks! Been looking for this
> "forever". Strange that it is so tricky to get something so seemingly
> simple to work.

This patch, with the necessary fix to work properly with KMail, really
should be part of Kubuntu, but it seems like a serious flaw in FF that it
doesn't provided simpler ways to invoke mail clients.
--
derek