-   -   How to clean out ~/home (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/117455-how-clean-out-home.html)

Paul Kaplan 07-02-2008 10:07 AM

How to clean out ~/home

Over several years of distro upgrades and installs, my ~/home directory has
become a dumping ground for old and overly modified configuration files and
other junk.

I suspect that something here is now interfering with kde and kde4 because I
have some strange and unsolved kde3 and kde4 problems when using this ~/home
directory. However these problems don't occur if I create a new_user on the
system.

Short of deleting and rebuilding ~/home can someone make some suggestions for
a systematic but reasonably safe way of eliminating the unused junk while not
eliminating essential files. (Please don't recommend deleting .kde...I've
tried that and it doesn't help...The problem is almost certainly at the top
level of ~/home.)

Thanks,
Paul

"J. Michael Morse" 07-02-2008 11:42 AM

How to clean out ~/home

Top level of ~/home? I am not 100% sure but I doubt that is where the
problem is. The only thing /home contains are the user directories.
There aren't any /essential files/ in the /home directory.

You already stated that deleting the .kde file didn't work so my bet
is that the issue isn't KDE related.

On 7/2/08, Paul Kaplan <pkaplan1@comcast.net> wrote:
> Over several years of distro upgrades and installs, my ~/home directory has
> become a dumping ground for old and overly modified configuration files and
> other junk.
>
> I suspect that something here is now interfering with kde and kde4 because I
> have some strange and unsolved kde3 and kde4 problems when using this ~/home
> directory. However these problems don't occur if I create a new_user on the
> system.
>
> Short of deleting and rebuilding ~/home can someone make some suggestions
> for
> a systematic but reasonably safe way of eliminating the unused junk while
> not
> eliminating essential files. (Please don't recommend deleting .kde...I've
> tried that and it doesn't help...The problem is almost certainly at the top
> level of ~/home.)
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

"Careful. We don't want to learn from this." - Calvin

Bas Roufs 07-02-2008 12:53 PM

How to clean out ~/home

Dear Paul, Dear Everybody

A safe, but time consuming method may be as follows:
* make a back-up of all your personal files and e-mails at another
computer or at an external HD
* generate a KUBUNTU FILES report containing an overview of all the
software installed at your PC
* back-up this KUBUNTU FILES report also elsewhere
* make a fresh install 'from scratch' at your HD while reformatting/
overwriting the old configuration.
* after installing the basic stuff, use to the KUBUNTU FILES report to
add to it all the software you have been using before.

If you are interested, I can explain in more detail how to generate and
use a KUBUNTU FILES report.

Respectfully Yours,
Bas.

J. Michael Morse wrote:
> Top level of ~/home? I am not 100% sure but I doubt that is where the
> problem is. The only thing /home contains are the user directories.
> There aren't any /essential files/ in the /home directory.
>
> You already stated that deleting the .kde file didn't work so my bet
> is that the issue isn't KDE related.
>
> On 7/2/08, Paul Kaplan <pkaplan1@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Over several years of distro upgrades and installs, my ~/home directory has
>> become a dumping ground for old and overly modified configuration files and
>> other junk.
>>
>> I suspect that something here is now interfering with kde and kde4 because I
>> have some strange and unsolved kde3 and kde4 problems when using this ~/home
>> directory. However these problems don't occur if I create a new_user on the
>> system.
>>
>> Short of deleting and rebuilding ~/home can someone make some suggestions
>> for
>> a systematic but reasonably safe way of eliminating the unused junk while
>> not
>> eliminating essential files. (Please don't recommend deleting .kde...I've
>> tried that and it doesn't help...The problem is almost certainly at the top
>> level of ~/home.)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Paul
>>
>> --

*************************
Viaconsensus
Bas G. Roufs M.A.
Van 't Hoffstraat 1
NL-3514 VT Utrecht
E.: BasRoufs@gmail.com
M.: +31.6.446.835.10.
T.: +31.30.785.20.40.
**************************

Rainbow News, views and visions: CircleLetterRainbow.net

European Rainbow Gathering in Serbia: Eurogathering.Rainbowinfo.net

Open source operating system: Linux - Kubuntu 7.10, Kubuntu.org

Joel Oliver 07-03-2008 03:25 PM

How to clean out ~/home

J. Michael Morse wrote:
> Top level of ~/home? I am not 100% sure but I doubt that is where the
> problem is. The only thing /home contains are the user directories.
> There aren't any /essential files/ in the /home directory.
>
> You already stated that deleting the .kde file didn't work so my bet
> is that the issue isn't KDE related.

Theres alot of config files in a users home directory, they are all
.hidden files (ls -lha)

I wouldn't destroy all of them (rm .*) Try to find the areas you have
problems with first (Like the .kde and .kde4 directory) and just delete
those. They will be recreated the next time kde starts up.

The global config files are in /etc but those shouldn't need to be
changed for kde unless you want it to apply to all new users.

David Fletcher 07-03-2008 03:47 PM

How to clean out ~/home

At 16:25 03/07/2008, you wrote:

>I wouldn't destroy all of them (rm .*) Try to find the areas you have
>problems with first (Like the .kde and .kde4 directory) and just delete
>those. They will be recreated the next time kde starts up.

I'm sitting in front of an XP machine at work |-O right now so I
can't check for sure, but aren't things like the kdewallet stored
under ~/.kde? What I'm saying is, be careful what you delete. Might
be better to hide it from the system by renaming it, then it can
easily be restored.

Dave

Pablo El Feo 07-04-2008 02:21 PM

How to clean out ~/home

El Thursday 03 July 2008 12:47:26 David Fletcher escribió:
> At 16:25 03/07/2008, you wrote:
> >I wouldn't destroy all of them (rm .*) Try to find the areas you have
> >problems with first (Like the .kde and .kde4 directory) and just delete
> >those. They will be recreated the next time kde starts up.
>
> I'm sitting in front of an XP machine at work |-O right now so I
> can't check for sure, but aren't things like the kdewallet stored
> under ~/.kde? What I'm saying is, be careful what you delete. Might
> be better to hide it from the system by renaming it, then it can
> easily be restored.
>
> Dave

Yes, I do that most of the times I delete a new directory.
You can safely remove any hidden directory or file named as a program you no
longer use or you don't mind loseing your settings.
I'm deleting now:
~/.picasa
~/.pitivi
~/.kde4 (I installed kopete-kde4, but I'll stick with my old one)
~/.torcs
That's the easy part. If you are unsure about a specific directory, rename it
and test your system for a while... If nothing is missing, then you can delete
it.
You can also go into directories like .kde. Specialy you'll want to look into
~/kde/share/apps/ and ~/kde/share/config. Look for the names of the programs
you no longer use and remove or delete them.

"Asuka Langley" 07-05-2008 05:35 AM

How to clean out ~/home

Hi

I would just delete the whole home, after saving my personal data, and some REALLY necessary configs. Like rtorrent.rc, conky.rc, and so on, what I know I will need them. Thats the easiest, cleanest way to do something like this. KDE makes the necessary files at the first login, so it will be fixed (your problem), if its kde related, or anything what is related to your ~/home

Asuka