Old 07-02-2008, 04:30 AM
"Juan Kawada"

Default Video Cards on linux

Ok, so with linux a lot of people seem to have problems with video cards, and their drivers. I'm just wondering, what cards have you used and what was the overall experiance with them? Were you using the proprietary drivers, or the opensource versions?

Right now I'm using an ATI Radeon 2600 HD Pro. Everything works well enough with only some minor problems. First, when I boot up my computer the screen resolution is never correct, but krandrtray fixes that easily enough. Another problem was that the free Alsa driver that was used automatically with my install didn't support 3D, and so I had to enable the proprietary to get compiz, and to play games. Overall though, I can't complain.

I'm just looking to gain some knowlage about different cards here, for other people I know who are curious, and for when I decide to upgrade my own card.* So please no flame wars about propriety vs open drivers (which always seems to happen in other discussions on this topic).

Old 07-02-2008, 05:06 AM
"Dana J. Laude"

Juan Kawada wrote:
> Ok, so with linux a lot of people seem to have problems with video
> cards, and their drivers. I'm just wondering, what cards have you used
> and what was the overall experiance with them? Were you using the
> proprietary drivers, or the opensource versions?
<snip>

Well, I'm using a Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 on the desktop, and a GeForce
8600M GS on my laptop and all is well. Both have 256MB of ram and they
work fine for me. Compiz works fine on both computers, although the
desktop is a tad slow. (only has 512MB of ram on a AMD 1.6Ghz cpu)

Both systems are using the proprietary drivers provided from Kubuntu.
(nvidia vs nv)

Dana

Old 07-02-2008, 06:23 AM
Jonathan Kaye

Juan Kawada wrote:

> Ok, so with linux a lot of people seem to have problems with video cards,
> and their drivers. I'm just wondering, what cards have you used and what
> was the overall experiance with them? Were you using the proprietary
> drivers, or the opensource versions?
>
> Right now I'm using an ATI Radeon 2600 HD Pro. Everything works well
> enough with only some minor problems. First, when I boot up my computer
> the screen resolution is never correct, but krandrtray fixes that easily
> enough. Another problem was that the free Alsa driver that was used
> automatically with my install didn't support 3D, and so I had to enable
> the proprietary to get compiz, and to play games. Overall though, I can't
> complain.
>
> I'm just looking to gain some knowlage about different cards here, for
> other people I know who are curious, and for when I decide to upgrade my
> own
> card. So please no flame wars about propriety vs open drivers (which
> always seems to happen in other discussions on this topic).
Hi Juan,
I've got an ATI Radeon 9550 with 256MB vram and no problems. I use the
proprietary fglrx driver which I download from the ATI site and build using
module-assistant after each kernel upgrade. I use this driver to get 3D
acceleration and it does with no problems.
Cheers,
Jonathan
Please do not send me copies of list mail. I read the lists. Thanks!

Old 07-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Jonathan Dlouhy

On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 08:23 +0200, Jonathan Kaye wrote:

Juan Kawada wrote:

> Ok, so with linux a lot of people seem to have problems with video cards,
> and their drivers. I'm just wondering, what cards have you used and what
> was the overall experiance with them? Were you using the proprietary
> drivers, or the opensource versions?
>
> Right now I'm using an ATI Radeon 2600 HD Pro. Everything works well
> enough with only some minor problems. First, when I boot up my computer
> the screen resolution is never correct, but krandrtray fixes that easily
> enough. Another problem was that the free Alsa driver that was used
> automatically with my install didn't support 3D, and so I had to enable
> the proprietary to get compiz, and to play games. Overall though, I can't
> complain.
>
> I'm just looking to gain some knowlage about different cards here, for
> other people I know who are curious, and for when I decide to upgrade my
> own
> card. So please no flame wars about propriety vs open drivers (which
> always seems to happen in other discussions on this topic).
Hi Juan,
I've got an ATI Radeon 9550 with 256MB vram and no problems. I use the
proprietary fglrx driver which I download from the ATI site and build using
module-assistant after each kernel upgrade. I use this driver to get 3D
acceleration and it does with no problems.
Cheers,

Juan, I have an nVidia GeForce 6200 AGP with 256 M DDR ram that works quite well. I have all the video effects enabled and it's still pretty snappy. The price is right too, about $40.

--

Jonathan Dlouhy

==========

Quantum Computers

404-428-7088

www.quantumcomputerguys.com

Old 07-03-2008, 06:31 AM
Alexander Smirnov

Dana J. Laude пишет:
> Well, I'm using a Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 on the desktop, and a GeForce
> 8600M GS on my laptop and all is well. Both have 256MB of ram and they
> work fine for me. Compiz works fine on both computers, although the
> desktop is a tad slow. (only has 512MB of ram on a AMD 1.6Ghz cpu)
>
> Both systems are using the proprietary drivers provided from Kubuntu.
> (nvidia vs nv)
>
> Dana

Nvidia 8x and 9x series have very bad proprietary drivers for linux.
Even 2D performance is very pure. See related forum for details:
http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=d374877913395c937d2d4bfa9bf6bde 5&f=14

Old 07-05-2008, 05:33 AM
"Juan Kawada"

So the proprietary drivers for the 8x and 9x series are terrible? and how about the open source drivers with the system? It looks like dana got a 8600 working fine.
Dana did it take any tweaking, or did it install fine?

It looks like ATI drivers are beating nvidia drivers now, thats what i've heard anyway.

Is there a website out there that lists the details of what cards work with what distro, and if effects work etc. based on user experience?

I've also heard that intel chips are working great with linux now because of open source drivers. I'm not sure if thats true though, as I learned it from an unreliable source.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:38 AM
"Asuka Langley"

I don't get it. I have a 8600GTS ATM, and I tested a 9600GT. Every Nvidia card worked fine with the "stable" driver, what is 173.14.09 right now.. if its not updated to a newer yet. I don't think there is any problem with these cards on linux. Nvidia had the best proprietary drivers always, and the opensource Ati stuff is still very beta, and only knows 3d on older cards, and that 3d is much slower than the proprietary one. So I would stick with Nvidia. (well maybe 9800GTX in SLi won't work fine, I mean, maybe you will see it flickering while playing a movie, or smth like that, but I never had so much money to afford a system like that (who can pay that much electricity bill :P))

Old 07-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Edmund Laugasson

> the opensource Ati stuff is still very beta

I installed at 22th June 2008 ATI drivers from its web page and got it working!

Current tutorial is about uninstalling Ubuntu ATI drivers and install ATI-AMD driver from its webpage.

Some links
**********
tutorial:
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Gutsy_Installation_Guide

main driver page:
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux/linux-radeon.html

exact URL for driver download
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-8-6-x86.x86_64.run

Used distro: Estobuntu 8.01 stable (based on Kubuntu 7.10) - http://estobuntu.org/estobuntu-english

I apologize - some messages are in Estonian language due to localized Ubuntu distro.

1) Build package
*****************
$ sudo sh ati-driver-installer-8-6-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/gutsy
Created directory fglrx-install.pU6710
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.501.......
ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager
Generating package: Ubuntu/gutsy
Package /home/kasutaja/tarkvara/xorg-driver-fglrx_8.501-0ubuntu1_i386.deb has been successfully
generated
Package /home/kasutaja/tarkvara/xorg-driver-fglrx-dev_8.501-0ubuntu1_i386.deb has been successfully
generated
Package /home/kasutaja/tarkvara/fglrx-kernel-source_8.501-0ubuntu1_i386.deb has been successfully
generated
Package /home/kasutaja/tarkvara/fglrx-amdcccle_8.501-0ubuntu1_i386.deb has been successfully generated
Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.pU6710

2) Modify file
***************
$ sudo nano /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common

DISABLED_MODULES="fglrx"

Save file with F3 and exit with F2 from nano.

If you have the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-restricted then uncomment there "fglrx" to get ATI
proprietary drivers to work

3) Install prepared packages
****************************

$ sudo dpkg -i xorg-driver-fglrx*.deb fglrx-kernel-source*.deb fglrx-amdcccle*.deb
Varem valimata paki xorg-driver-fglrx valimine.
(Andmebaasi lugemine ... hetkel on paigaldatud 102569 faili ja kataloogi.)
Paki xorg-driver-fglrx lahtipakkimine (failist xorg-driver-fglrx_8.501-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
Varem valimata paki xorg-driver-fglrx-dev valimine.
Paki xorg-driver-fglrx-dev lahtipakkimine (failist xorg-driver-fglrx-dev_8.501-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
Varem valimata paki fglrx-kernel-source valimine.
Paki fglrx-kernel-source lahtipakkimine (failist fglrx-kernel-source_8.501-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
Varem valimata paki fglrx-amdcccle valimine.
Paki fglrx-amdcccle lahtipakkimine (failist fglrx-amdcccle_8.501-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
Paki xorg-driver-fglrx (2:8.501-0ubuntu1) paikasttimine ...
* Starting atieventsd [ OK ]

Paki xorg-driver-fglrx-dev (2:8.501-0ubuntu1) paikasttimine ...
Paki fglrx-kernel-source (2:8.501-0ubuntu1) paikasttimine ...
Adding Module to DKMS build system
Doing initial module build
Installing initial module
Warning! Cannot do version sanity checking because multiple fglrx.ko
modules were found in kernel 2.6.22-15-generic.
Done.

Paki fglrx-amdcccle (2:8.501-0ubuntu1) paikasttimine ...

If there remains dependencies, fix them:
sudo apt-get install -f

Then correct the system:
sudo ldconfig && sudo dpkg --configure -a && sudo apt-get clean

4) Modify /etc/X11/xorg.conf
****************************

Section "Device"
Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
Driver "fglrx"
EndSection
Section "device" #
Driver "fglrx"
Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AIGLX" "off"
EndSection

Now restart the system!

5) Check
********

$ fglrxinfo
display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon 9550 / X1050 Series
OpenGL version string: 2.1.7659 Release

$ glxgears
8059 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1611,728 FPS
8049 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1609,617 FPS
8049 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1609,650 FPS
8048 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1609,492 FPS

So, it works like a charm!

6) Some pictures about new ATI Catalyst Center:
http://arvutiring.rvg.edu.ee/lisad/linux/ATI-AMD_driver/ATI-AMD_8-6/ati_catalyst_control_center

7) Compiled driver packages are available here:
http://arvutiring.rvg.edu.ee/lisad/linux/ATI-AMD_driver/ATI-AMD_8-6/valmistatud_pakid_22-06-2008

8) Another error - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/211318 - this is also in Kubuntu 7.10
To fix it, open /etc/ati/authatieventsd.sh and instead of:

XDM_AUTH_MASK=/var/lib/xdm/authdir/authfiles/A$1*

write:

XDM_AUTH_MASK=/var/run/xauth/A$1*

Best Regards,
Edmund

Old 07-07-2008, 05:15 AM
"Juan Kawada"

So I guess most video cards work with linux now? Anyone had any horror stories with cards not working?

Maybe most of the problems with video drivers in linux are in the past.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:04 PM
"uriah heep"

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 1:15 AM, Juan Kawada <juankawada@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.

OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon 9550 / X1050 Series

OpenGL version string: 2.1.7659 Release

$ glxgears

8059 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1611,728 FPS

8049 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1609,617 FPS

8049 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1609,650 FPS

8048 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1609,492 FPS

So, it works like a charm!

6) Some pictures about new ATI Catalyst Center:

http://arvutiring.rvg.edu.ee/lisad/linux/ATI-AMD_driver/ATI-AMD_8-6/ati_catalyst_control_center

7) Compiled driver packages are available here:

http://arvutiring.rvg.edu.ee/lisad/linux/ATI-AMD_driver/ATI-AMD_8-6/valmistatud_pakid_22-06-2008

8) Another error - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/211318 - this is also in Kubuntu 7.10

To fix it, open */etc/ati/authatieventsd.sh and instead of:

XDM_AUTH_MASK=/var/lib/xdm/authdir/authfiles/A$1*

I am unable to get evga (nvidia) 7900gs to work on install of Kubuntu
this or last version.* Nor will run disks of the new Susi or Knoppx
work.* I have decided to reinstall my old 6200 card which would work in
past then try various run disks.* If they or at least one works I will
do new install with 6200, download nvidia drivers and try swaping out
with the 7900.* If any one can suggest an elegant course of action
please do so.

uriah