Old 07-02-2008, 12:02 AM
Matt Endebrock

Default Klibido Does Not Launch

Hello all,
I'm running a fresh install of Kubuntu 8.04 (64 bit) and my newsreader
application, Klibido, has begun to act up. The application appears to launch
but then, nothing. When I try to launch from konsole, bash just returns
immediately to a command prompt.

The application is installed
matt@Jenny:~$ whereis klibido
klibido: /usr/bin/klibido /usr/share/man/man1/klibido.1.gz

Oddly, when I log out and log back in, the gui for Klibido shows up (as if it
had been running when I logged out).

I have reinstalled the program using Adept (request purge, request install)
but the problem is unchanged.

Note that the "purge" option for removal did not function as I'd expected. Per
the literature, I understood the purge option removes all (some?) of the
configuration files for a particular app. After the re-installation, Klibido
showed up with all my Newsgroups and Server (and password!) intact. I'm a
noob, though, so I probably just don't understand what purge does.

Any takers?

Thanks, Matt

Old 07-02-2008, 07:35 AM
"Leticia Hernández"

* * ** I'm running a fresh install of Kubuntu 8.04 (64 bit) and my newsreader

application, Klibido, has begun to act up. The application appears to launch

but then, nothing. When I try to launch from konsole, bash just returns

immediately to a command prompt.

It's been a long time since I used KLibido on a 64 bits system, but this behaviour sounds familiar. I can't remember why it happened though. Like you said, it's probably running on the background but to be sure you could check it with:

$ps aux | grep klibido

The first part (ps aux) lists your running processes and the second (grep klibido) filters just the ones with the word "klibido" on them. If you see Klibido, note it's Process ID (PID) and use the kill command to finish it so it doesn't show up on your next login:

$kill PID

I have reinstalled the program using Adept (request purge, request install)

but the problem is unchanged.

Note that the "purge" option for removal did not function as I'd expected. Per

the literature, I understood the purge option removes all (some?) of the

configuration files for a particular app. After the re-installation, Klibido

showed up with all my Newsgroups and Server (and password!) intact. I'm a

noob, though, so I probably just don't understand what purge does.

*
The purge option removes system wide configuration files but it would never delete your personal settings. You may find Klibido's settings inside $HOME/.kde/share/config/ and $HOME/.kde/share/apps/.

Hope it helps.
--
Leticia Hernández