Old 07-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Wulfy

Default Kaffeine problem

I'm trying to play an encrypted DVD. I have libdvdcss2 installed from
medibuntu. Kaffeine refuses to autoplay saying it needs the libdvdcss
package. If I mount the DVD and play the individual .vob files,
everything works.

Any idea what's wrong?

Up-to-date Hardy upgraded from Gutsy RC1 disk install (my motherboard
popped and I had to reinstall). It worked before the reinstall.

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Copyright July 17, 1988 by Del Goetz

Old 07-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Mark Fraser

On Tuesday 01 July 2008 20:32:59 Wulfy wrote:
> I'm trying to play an encrypted DVD. I have libdvdcss2 installed from
> medibuntu. Kaffeine refuses to autoplay saying it needs the libdvdcss
> package. If I mount the DVD and play the individual .vob files,
> everything works.
>
> Any idea what's wrong?
>
> Up-to-date Hardy upgraded from Gutsy RC1 disk install (my motherboard
> popped and I had to reinstall). It worked before the reinstall.

Try entering
ls /dev/ | grep dvd
from Konsole and printing the results here.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Wulfy

Mark Fraser wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 July 2008 20:32:59 Wulfy wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to play an encrypted DVD. I have libdvdcss2 installed from
>> medibuntu. Kaffeine refuses to autoplay saying it needs the libdvdcss
>> package. If I mount the DVD and play the individual .vob files,
>> everything works.
>>
>> Any idea what's wrong?
>>
>> Up-to-date Hardy upgraded from Gutsy RC1 disk install (my motherboard
>> popped and I had to reinstall). It worked before the reinstall.
>>

> Try entering
> ls /dev/ | grep dvd
> from Konsole and printing the results here.

wulfy@kubuntu:~$ ls /dev/ | grep dvd
dvd1
dvdrw1

Old 07-02-2008, 08:54 AM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/7/2 Wulfy <wulfmann@tiscali.co.uk>:
> Mark Fraser wrote:
>> On Tuesday 01 July 2008 20:32:59 Wulfy wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to play an encrypted DVD. I have libdvdcss2 installed from
>>> medibuntu. Kaffeine refuses to autoplay saying it needs the libdvdcss
>>> package. If I mount the DVD and play the individual .vob files,
>>> everything works.
>>>
>>> Any idea what's wrong?
>>>
>>> Up-to-date Hardy upgraded from Gutsy RC1 disk install (my motherboard
>>> popped and I had to reinstall). It worked before the reinstall.
>>>

>> Try entering
>> ls /dev/ | grep dvd
>> from Konsole and printing the results here.
>>

> wulfy@kubuntu:~$ ls /dev/ | grep dvd
> dvd1
> dvdrw1

I think Kaffeine and other xine programs is looking for /dev/dvd as
default. It looks like you been hit by this bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/223534 try the
workaround i mention there and you should have your /dev/dvd symlink
restored. Dont know if thats the cause to your problem but it's worth
a try.

/ Jonas

Old 07-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Wulfy

Jonas Norlander wrote:
> 2008/7/2 Wulfy <wulfmann@tiscali.co.uk>:
>
>> Mark Fraser wrote:

>>> Try entering
>>> ls /dev/ | grep dvd
>>> from Konsole and printing the results here.
>>>

>> wulfy@kubuntu:~$ ls /dev/ | grep dvd
>> dvd1
>> dvdrw1
>>

> I think Kaffeine and other xine programs is looking for /dev/dvd as
> default. It looks like you been hit by this bug
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/223534 try the
> workaround i mention there and you should have your /dev/dvd symlink
> restored. Dont know if thats the cause to your problem but it's worth
> a try.
>
> / Jonas

I'll take a look at that, thanks.

One wrinkle that I've found is when trying to mount video DVD is that
Konqueror can't see it *until I open it in Dolphin*. At that point, I
am able to play the .vob's no problem as individual files. This is a
problem in that I can't stand Dolphin... I use Konqueror as my file
manager (Firefox is my web browser of choice).

Old 07-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Wulfy

Jonas Norlander wrote:
> 2008/7/2 Wulfy <wulfmann@tiscali.co.uk>:
>
>> Mark Fraser wrote:

>>> Try entering
>>> ls /dev/ | grep dvd
>>> from Konsole and printing the results here.
>>>

>> wulfy@kubuntu:~$ ls /dev/ | grep dvd
>> dvd1
>> dvdrw1
>>

> I think Kaffeine and other xine programs is looking for /dev/dvd as
> default. It looks like you been hit by this bug
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/223534 try the
> workaround i mention there and you should have your /dev/dvd symlink
> restored. Dont know if thats the cause to your problem but it's worth
> a try.
>
> / Jonas

I looked in xine's parameters under Settings in Kaffeine. It was
looking for the dvd at /dev/dvd. On a whim, I changed that to /dev/dvd1
and now it plays the DVDs no problem! It appears to be a wrong error
message. What it should say is "where the heck have you hidden the
DVD???" :@)

Thanks to all who helped! :@D

Old 07-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Mark Fraser

On Wednesday 02 July 2008 15:37:09 Wulfy wrote:
> Jonas Norlander wrote:

> >> wulfy@kubuntu:~$ ls /dev/ | grep dvd
> >> dvd1
> >> dvdrw1
> >
> > I think Kaffeine and other xine programs is looking for /dev/dvd as
> > default. It looks like you been hit by this bug
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/223534 try the
> > workaround i mention there and you should have your /dev/dvd symlink
> > restored. Dont know if thats the cause to your problem but it's worth
> > a try.
> >
> > / Jonas
>
> I looked in xine's parameters under Settings in Kaffeine. It was
> looking for the dvd at /dev/dvd. On a whim, I changed that to /dev/dvd1
> and now it plays the DVDs no problem! It appears to be a wrong error
> message. What it should say is "where the heck have you hidden the
> DVD???" :@)
>
> Thanks to all who helped! :@D

The other way of doing it would've been to have followed the link that Jonas
posted. Which was to:
cd /etc/udev/rules.d/
sudo mv 75-cd-aliases-generator.rules 75-cd-aliases-generator.rules~
restart the computer and your DVD drive should be back at /dev/dvd.

I don't like the way they say it's only a minor problem as all my machines
here were affected in one way or another.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:42 PM
Michael Satterwhite

I'm trying to play a DVD and getting an encryption error message. The message
says that I need to run 'sudo /usr/share/doc/kaffeine/install-css.sh" - which
I have done. Even after running this, I still get the encryption error.

Can anyone suggest a fix?

Old 10-31-2008, 07:04 PM
Nigel Henry

On Friday 31 October 2008 17:42, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> I'm trying to play a DVD and getting an encryption error message. The
> message says that I need to run 'sudo
> /usr/share/doc/kaffeine/install-css.sh" - which I have done. Even after
> running this, I still get the encryption error.
>
> Can anyone suggest a fix?

This problem with Kaffeine was discussed a while back, and I did get Kaffeine
working on my Hardy heron install. You need to make sure that you have the
libdvdcss2 package installed, so that encrypted DVD's can be decrypted. Even
after installing the package you may still get the above message, which is
misleading as to the actual problem. You can get libdvdcss2 from the
medibuntu repo, details below if you dont have it in /etc/apt/sources.list.

Go to http://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu , and add the repos for your
as directed for your Kubuntu version.

Then do an apt-get install medibuntu-keyring , which will install the GPG key
for the repo.

I got my Kaffeine playing DVD's, after installing libdvdcss2, by renaming the
~/.xine file, and restarting Kaffeine, which then created a new .xine file.
Saying that though, I may have had to do that a couple of times, as I see I
have 2 backups for .xine, and possibly rebooted as well. I remember having to
go through the hoops a bit, to get Kaffeine working with DVD's.

Something else I remember from the earlier kaffeine thread, was to do with
Kaffeine not finding the optical drive, which is why the error message
displayed. My Kaffeine >Settings > xine Engine Parameters >media, shows the
dvd device as /dev/dvd. Have a look in /dev, and see which block
device /dev/dvd is pointing to. Mine in Hardy Heron is pointing to scd0,
which is correct.

That will do for now. Post back please.

Which Kubuntu version have you installed, and was this an upgrade, or a fresh
install?

All the best.

Nigel.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:28 PM
Knapp

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 9:04 PM, Nigel Henry
<cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
> On Friday 31 October 2008 17:42, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
>> I'm trying to play a DVD and getting an encryption error message. The
>> message says that I need to run 'sudo
>> /usr/share/doc/kaffeine/install-css.sh" - which I have done. Even after
>> running this, I still get the encryption error.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest a fix?
>
> This problem with Kaffeine was discussed a while back, and I did get Kaffeine
> working on my Hardy heron install. You need to make sure that you have the
> libdvdcss2 package installed, so that encrypted DVD's can be decrypted. Even
> after installing the package you may still get the above message, which is
> misleading as to the actual problem. You can get libdvdcss2 from the
> medibuntu repo, details below if you dont have it in /etc/apt/sources.list.
>
> Go to http://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu , and add the repos for your
> as directed for your Kubuntu version.
>
> Then do an apt-get install medibuntu-keyring , which will install the GPG key
> for the repo.
>
> I got my Kaffeine playing DVD's, after installing libdvdcss2, by renaming the
> ~/.xine file, and restarting Kaffeine, which then created a new .xine file.
> Saying that though, I may have had to do that a couple of times, as I see I
> have 2 backups for .xine, and possibly rebooted as well. I remember having to
> go through the hoops a bit, to get Kaffeine working with DVD's.
>
> Something else I remember from the earlier kaffeine thread, was to do with
> Kaffeine not finding the optical drive, which is why the error message
> displayed. My Kaffeine >Settings > xine Engine Parameters >media, shows the
> dvd device as /dev/dvd. Have a look in /dev, and see which block
> device /dev/dvd is pointing to. Mine in Hardy Heron is pointing to scd0,
> which is correct.
>
> That will do for now. Post back please.
>
> Which Kubuntu version have you installed, and was this an upgrade, or a fresh
> install?
>
> All the best.
>
> Nigel.

All what has been said was true but it was only a patch. The end
solution was this and it is very easy to do, IF this is your problem.
If not it is easy to undo this fix too and get back to us. The rest is
a repost:

The best thing to do is leave all those packages the way they were at
first and just remove
(rename it to something else with the word backup is better) the file
called
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules
Then reboot your computer.
All should now be working. It also will prevent any future problems
and will make ALL the software work.

The only bad side of this is that you should undo my first patch. The
patch will still work though as long as the drive does not move from
scd0 which it could if you add a new drive or upgrade your system.

--
Douglas E Knapp