Old 07-01-2008, 05:16 PM
vincent PADILLA

Default bootup

why do I have to remove one of my memory cards in order for me to boot up my system ??? also it freezes up every 3 minutes ??? is there any antivirus for the linux distros ??? what can I do ???

Old 07-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Frederic Schaer

Hi,

vincent PADILLA a écrit :
> why do I have to remove one of my memory cards in order for me to boot up my system ???
Probably because your computer then tries to boot on that card when it's
plugged. you can try to change your bios settings
> also it freezes up every 3 minutes ???
Overclocking ?
> is there any antivirus for the linux distros ???
Yes, clamav, but... it's not so efficient I feel.
I once saw an fprot version for linux
Also try chkrootkit
> what can I do ???

Change your computer ?
"Thanks. You're welcome !"

Old 07-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Pastor JW

On Tuesday 01 July 2008 10:16:21 am vincent PADILLA wrote:
> why do I have to remove one of my memory cards in order for me to boot up
> my system ??? also it freezes up every 3 minutes ??? is there any antivirus
> for the linux distros ??? what can I do ???

What have you changed? I have to assume this machine has been working? Heat
sinks and fans all installed and working correctly? Does it matter which
card? Is it dependent on the slot the card is in? Are the cards the same
size? Are you above the max memory allowed for the motherboard? Actually,
the freezing every three minutes sounds like the memory is too slow for the
motherboard or it is powered by too high voltage. Either way the memory
would get very hot. The CPU too hot should shut it down, not just freeze it.
Of course that will also cause lots of damage in short order.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 07-01-2008, 06:16 PM
vincent PADILLA

well, yes they are the same size each card,and it doesn't matter which card i remove ?? all fans work properly and sink heats as well, but ,when I leave the two cards in the computer,it says spurious act a program may be trying to access the hardware directly,
what can I do ?? I used to have the windows xp pro. on it, could that be the problem ??? if so how can I get rid of it.,??

Old 07-02-2008, 01:56 AM
Joel Oliver

Run the memtest86 in the grub boot menu, sounds like a bad memory stick.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Sylviane et Perry White

On Tuesday 01 July 2008 20:16, vincent PADILLA wrote:
> what can I do ?? I used to have the windows xp pro. on it, could that be
> the problem ??? if so how can I get rid of it.,??
Even in the case you still had the windows xp pro. on it (and were using dual
booting) M$ wouldn't interfere with Linux.

Perry

--
BOFH excuse #412: Radial Telemetry Infiltration

Old 07-02-2008, 08:24 PM
vincent PADILLA

thanks that work !!
well I'm newwie to linux desktops, thanks again !!