Old 06-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Jos Troncoso

Default Restore KDM3 after installing KDE4

On Sunday 15 June 2008, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> How can I either configure the KDE4 login manager from KDE3, or make
> the KDE3 KDM the default login manager? Thanks in advance.

Open Konsole and run this command:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm

--
Jos A. Fernndez Troncoso
http://www.troncoso.info

Old 06-15-2008, 09:29 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/6/15 <claydoh@midmaine.com>:
> Either try reinstalling KDE3's kdm, which *should* offer you to the option
> to select which login manager you want to use, or run the command : 'sudo
> dpkg-reconfigure kdm' (or 'kdm-kde4' either should work), which will bring
> up the same selection dialog.
>
> clay weber

Thank you, dpkg-reconfigure was just what I needed.

Other than presenting the login screen differently, is there any
advantage / disadvantage to using the KDE3 or KDE 4 KDM? Does the
system run the same no matter which one is used? I only ask because
the program must remain as an active service while the machine is on,
so obviously it is doing _something_.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-15-2008, 09:45 PM
claydoh

On Sun June 15 2008 5:29:15 pm Dotan Cohen wrote:

> Thank you, dpkg-reconfigure was just what I needed.
>
> Other than presenting the login screen differently, is there any
> advantage / disadvantage to using the KDE3 or KDE 4 KDM? Does the
> system run the same no matter which one is used? I only ask because
> the program must remain as an active service while the machine is on,
> so obviously it is doing _something_.
>
> Dotan Cohen

Nope, your choice on login manager as far as I can tell should have no effect
on how your DE operates. You can use KDM, kdm-kde4, gdm (from Gnome) xdm,
wdm, or sdm. I don't see any real differences visually between the 2 kdm's,
but I am sure that KDE4's probably has more bug fixes and the like.

The only difference between the other login managers are what options they all
provide. wdm and xdm are more basic, and GDM I believe has a 'failsafe' mode
if your xorg settings get shot.

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net