Old 06-15-2008, 06:36 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default Should I enable hdparm?

I see lots of conflicting information about hdparm. I have a
particularly sluggish Kubuntu 8.04 installation that I am trying to
tweak. Can hdparm help with generally sluggishness? (delay when
opening programs/files and sometimes delay in keyboard input)

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-15-2008, 09:40 PM
James Gray

I see lots of conflicting information about hdparm. I have a
particularly sluggish Kubuntu 8.04 installation that I am trying to
tweak. Can hdparm help with generally sluggishness? (delay when
opening programs/files and sometimes delay in keyboard input)

Dotan Cohen

Depends on what is causing the delays. If your hard drive is PATA and
not running in DMA mode, then hdparm will help. If your drive is
SATA, then hdparm will be of limited help.

Best option is to do some digging (top, vmstat, strace, ltrace etc)
and see what is causing the hold up.

Cheers,

James--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 06-15-2008, 09:51 PM
claydoh

On Sun June 15 2008 2:36:39 pm Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I see lots of conflicting information about hdparm. I have a
> particularly sluggish Kubuntu 8.04 installation that I am trying to
> tweak. Can hdparm help with generally sluggishness? (delay when
> opening programs/files and sometimes delay in keyboard input)
>
> Dotan Cohen

You can easily test out the changes by issuing the various commands and seeing
if they help any before committing them to your hdparm config file. The
settings issued by command line are not saved for the next boot unless you
modify the file. I doubt it will make a drastic difference, but your
read/write speed might increase a little, but noticeably. I doubt it will
help any keyboard delay.

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net

Old 06-16-2008, 03:18 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/6/16 James Gray <james@gray.net.au>:
> Depends on what is causing the delays. If your hard drive is PATA and not
> running in DMA mode, then hdparm will help. If your drive is SATA, then
> hdparm will be of limited help.
>
> Best option is to do some digging (top, vmstat, strace, ltrace etc) and see
> what is causing the hold up.
>
> Cheers,
>
> James

Thanks. There are two IDE drives on this machine, so I will start exploring.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-16-2008, 09:19 AM
James Gray

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/6/16 James Gray <james@gray.net.au>:
>> Depends on what is causing the delays. If your hard drive is PATA and not
>> running in DMA mode, then hdparm will help. If your drive is SATA, then
>> hdparm will be of limited help.
>>
>> Best option is to do some digging (top, vmstat, strace, ltrace etc) and see
>> what is causing the hold up.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> James
>
> Thanks. There are two IDE drives on this machine, so I will start exploring.

No problem BTW, be careful with hdparm; I've corrupted file systems
by forcing settings on drives/controllers that weren't supported.

Contrary to "claydoh"'s advice, rather than just "issuing the various
commands" (which I parsed as "randomly fiddling with settings using
hdparm"), make sure you know what the change will do, how to test it,
and whether or not it is supported by your drives/controller. You've
been warned

Cheers,

James