Old 06-14-2008, 05:58 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default Disabling service on s_l_o_w desktop

I have installed Kubuntu 8.04 on a very slow 1.4 Ghz AMD Duron desktop
machine. Although there is 1 GB RAM installed, the machine is very
unresponsive. I am considering disabling as many services as possible
to help the computer cope with the load. My two main goals are to
reduce the sluggish response of the computer, and to decrease boot
time. For a single-user desktop machine, that is not doing development
work, are these services really necessary?

acpid
anacron
apmd
apport
atd
dhcdbd
policykit
powernowd
rsync
usplash
vbesave

What else can one do to make Kubuntu more responsive? Thanks in advance.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Mike Bird

On Sat June 14 2008 10:58:37 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I have installed Kubuntu 8.04 on a very slow 1.4 Ghz AMD Duron desktop
> machine. Although there is 1 GB RAM installed, the machine is very
> unresponsive. I am considering disabling as many services as possible
> to help the computer cope with the load. My two main goals are to
> reduce the sluggish response of the computer, and to decrease boot
> time. For a single-user desktop machine, that is not doing development
> work, are these services really necessary?
>
> acpid
> anacron
> apmd
> apport
> atd
> dhcdbd
> policykit
> powernowd
> rsync
> usplash
> vbesave
>
> What else can one do to make Kubuntu more responsive? Thanks in advance.

I would be concerned if the rsync server is running without reason. However
none of those services should have much effect on performance.

Usually only one thing is the bottleneck. Watch "top" for a while and try
to figure out if the problem is a particular program, insufficient RAM,
or CPU heavily loaded. Try to figure out if all things are slower or maybe
(for example) just things which involve the display.

Then you will have a better idea what needs fixing.

--Mike Bird

Old 06-14-2008, 06:10 PM
Jonathan Dlouhy

Dotan, try this web site. It has lots of good ideas for making your
system run faster.

http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7

--
Jonathan Dlouhy

[...]