Old 06-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Robert Tilley

Default The Speed Factor -- Kubuntu vs. Gentoo

What are the major obstacles to running a lightning-fast Linux workstation
with easy package management?

Kubuntu is a dream for ease of installation and application management. This
comes at a price. Kubuntu must run on a generic PC with as many drivers as
possible. If it can't run on a person's generic machine, they might dump it
for another distro. A friend from the local computer store calls
Kubuntu/Ubuntu "Windows for the Linux World". It's big and slow but works.
His in-store machine runs Gentoo with KDE and is faster than any Linux box
I've seen. He has almost all of the eye candy for Compiz installed. If you
didn't know for what to look, you'd think it a Macintosh.

What are things I can do to optimize Kubuntu? I'm hesitant about taking my
box offline for three days to compile a base Gentoo system. There should be
simple things (kernel recompile is a first one) to increase the speed of
Kubuntu.

Hesitant to leave the flock,
Thanks,
Bob