Old 06-13-2008, 08:39 PM
"Michael Leone"

Default ATT/Bellsouth with Kubuntu

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 4:24 PM, cherryfinals <cherryfinals@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> I just spoke with her and she is going to use a cat5 cable for a few
> months, until I can get down there on vacation and install NDSwrapper.
>
> The problem is that Bellsouth refuses to recognize anything but windows
> drivers.

So the NIC in question is Bellsouth provided? And they won't let you
use any other model, such as one that is easier to use with Linux?

> Stan
>
> --- Wulfy <wulfmann@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> cherryfinals wrote:
>> > My daughter purchased a new laptop back in January and has had
>> nothing
>> > but trouble with Vista. She finally gave up on it and let me
>> install
>> > Kubuntu.
>> > Everything works except the Bellsouth wireless connection. Their
>> only
>> > answer is to install Windows since they refuse to support Linux.
>> > It works fine with a direct cat5 cable to the modem, but they
>> insist it
>> > has to load their Windows wireless spyware.
>> > Is there any way around this?
>> > Has anyone got a relatively easy fix for this?
>> >

>> > Stan
>> >
>> > "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>> > soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
>> > -Ed Howdershelt
>>
>> I don't know if this will help but it's a possibility... Xubuntu
>> rather
>> than Kubuntu, but the solution seems to be desktop independent.
>>
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-620893.html
>>
>> --
>> Blessings
>>
>> Wulfmann
>>
>> Wulf Credo:
>> Respect the elders. Teach the young. Co-operate with the pack.
>> Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between.
>> Share your affections. Voice your opinion. Leave your Mark.
>> Copyright July 17, 1988 by Del Goetz
>>

>> --

Michael J. Leone
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

Life is a tragedy for those who feel, a comedy for those who think,
and a cereal for those who are hungry ...

Old 06-13-2008, 08:44 PM
cherryfinals

> > I just spoke with her and she is going to use a cat5 cable for a
few months, until I can get down there on vacation and install
NDSwrapper.

> > The problem is that Bellsouth refuses to recognize anything but
windows drivers.

> So the NIC in question is Bellsouth provided? And they won't let you
> use any other model, such as one that is easier to use with Linux?

The wireless is built in to the laptop and no, we're not going to be
spending money on another wireless card.

Stan

Old 06-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Pastor JW

On Friday 13 June 2008 12:44:47 pm cherryfinals wrote:
> My daughter purchased a new laptop back in January and has had nothing
> but trouble with Vista. She finally gave up on it and let me install
> Kubuntu.

> Everything works except the Bellsouth wireless connection. Their only
> answer is to install Windows since they refuse to support Linux.
> It works fine with a direct cat5 cable to the modem, but they insist it
> has to load their Windows wireless spyware.
> Is there any way around this?
> Has anyone got a relatively easy fix for this?

Which wireless card is in the laptop? Have you tried it downtown at a WiFi
hotspot? Who made the BellSouth Modem? ...my Quest modem which also
supplies the wireless here, is made by Actiontec but the settings are all
done with a browser. Or, one can install a wireless router and enable the
wireless on that, also set-up by a browser. A tool I like is WiFi-radar
which shows active hotspots and whether they are B or G.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 06-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Jim

cherryfinals wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> I just spoke with her and she is going to use a cat5 cable for a few
> months, until I can get down there on vacation and install NDSwrapper.
>
> The problem is that Bellsouth refuses to recognize anything but windows
> drivers.
>
> Stan
>
> --- Wulfy <wulfmann@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> cherryfinals wrote:
>>
>>> My daughter purchased a new laptop back in January and has had
>>>
>> nothing
>>
>>> but trouble with Vista. She finally gave up on it and let me
>>>
>> install
>>
>>> Kubuntu.
>>> Everything works except the Bellsouth wireless connection. Their
>>>
>> only
>>
>>> answer is to install Windows since they refuse to support Linux.
>>> It works fine with a direct cat5 cable to the modem, but they
>>>
>> insist it
>>
>>> has to load their Windows wireless spyware.
>>> Is there any way around this?
>>> Has anyone got a relatively easy fix for this?
>>>

>>> Stan
>>>
>>> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>>> soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
>>> -Ed Howdershelt
>>>
>> I don't know if this will help but it's a possibility... Xubuntu
>> rather
>> than Kubuntu, but the solution seems to be desktop independent.
>>
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-620893.html
>>
>> --
>> Blessings
>>
>> Wulfmann
>>
>> Wulf Credo:
>> Respect the elders. Teach the young. Co-operate with the pack.
>> Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between.
>> Share your affections. Voice your opinion. Leave your Mark.
>> Copyright July 17, 1988 by Del Goetz
>>

>> --

Verizon as far as Dial-Up goes for Linux , it's either $Windows or nothing.
I have installed a lot of Dial-up on Linux from a number of different
ISP , but on Verizon I failed.
I could connect to their server but something had to do with
authorization, got no error messages, to give me a Ideal what was going on.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:31 AM
Larry Hartman

Stan

This is not so much a technical how-to as it is a broad overview of how I made
this work.

I had Kubuntu setup to work just fine with Bellsouth DSLL Fast Access Light
for over a year. I used Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake all the way up to 7.04
Feisty Fawn. Bell South provided me with a Westell DSL modem. I plugged
this into one of the regular ports of WRT54G wireless router via a Cat-5
cable.

At that point it was only a matter of setting up a wireless connection--all
the standard Linux tools at my disposal had no problems dealing with this
arrangement.

I required NDIS wrapper, not because of the DSL modem or Bellsouth, but
because the Broadcomm wireless card on my laptop--at the time of kubuntu 6.06
through 7.10--did not have a good driver support.

Larry

Old 06-15-2008, 01:35 AM
Derek Broughton

cherryfinals wrote:

>> > I just spoke with her and she is going to use a cat5 cable for a
> few months, until I can get down there on vacation and install
> NDSwrapper.
>> >
>> > The problem is that Bellsouth refuses to recognize anything but
> windows drivers.
>>
>> So the NIC in question is Bellsouth provided? And they won't let you
>> use any other model, such as one that is easier to use with Linux?
>
> The wireless is built in to the laptop

Yes, but that's the point. It has _nothing_ to do with Bell South. Any
wireless adapter should work with the router.

> and no, we're not going to be
> spending money on another wireless card.

You shouldn't need to, but really when you can get a working card for $20,
is anything else worth the frustration?
--
derek

Old 06-15-2008, 02:23 AM
cherryfinals

> >> So the NIC in question is Bellsouth provided? And they won't let
> you
> >> use any other model, such as one that is easier to use with Linux?
> >
> > The wireless is built in to the laptop
>
> Yes, but that's the point. It has _nothing_ to do with Bell South.
> Any
> wireless adapter should work with the router.

Agreed.

> > and no, we're not going to be
> > spending money on another wireless card.
>
> You shouldn't need to, but really when you can get a working card for
> $20,
> is anything else worth the frustration?

You have a point there, Derek. That just might be a good option.

Thanks for the feedback and I'll let everyone know how it goes in a few
months, when I get down there to fondle the equipment in person. Heh.

Stan

-Ed Howdershelt