Old 06-13-2008, 07:44 PM
cherryfinals

Default ATT/Bellsouth with Kubuntu

My daughter purchased a new laptop back in January and has had nothing
but trouble with Vista. She finally gave up on it and let me install
Kubuntu.
Everything works except the Bellsouth wireless connection. Their only
answer is to install Windows since they refuse to support Linux.
It works fine with a direct cat5 cable to the modem, but they insist it
has to load their Windows wireless spyware.
Is there any way around this?
Has anyone got a relatively easy fix for this?

Stan

-Ed Howdershelt

Old 06-13-2008, 08:06 PM
"Michael Leone"

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 3:44 PM, cherryfinals <cherryfinals@yahoo.com> wrote:
> My daughter purchased a new laptop back in January and has had nothing
> but trouble with Vista. She finally gave up on it and let me install
> Kubuntu.
> Everything works except the Bellsouth wireless connection. Their only
> answer is to install Windows since they refuse to support Linux.
> It works fine with a direct cat5 cable to the modem, but they insist it
> has to load their Windows wireless spyware.

I seriously doubt it is real spyware. :-)

> Is there any way around this?
> Has anyone got a relatively easy fix for this?

So you're saying that you have a Bellsouth provided router? I'm not
clear on the connection - the laptop should be making a wireless
connection to your wireless router, and the router is the thing that
makes the connection to Bellsouth. So you're saying that the router is
provided by Bellsouth?

Any wireless card should work to talk to any wireless router,
providing that they speak the same protocol, or are on the allowed
access lists, etc.

More details are needed, I think.

> Stan

> -Ed Howdershelt

Michael J. Leone
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

Life is a tragedy for those who feel, a comedy for those who think,
and a cereal for those who are hungry ...

Old 06-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Wulfy

cherryfinals wrote:
> My daughter purchased a new laptop back in January and has had nothing
> but trouble with Vista. She finally gave up on it and let me install
> Kubuntu.
> Everything works except the Bellsouth wireless connection. Their only
> answer is to install Windows since they refuse to support Linux.
> It works fine with a direct cat5 cable to the modem, but they insist it
> has to load their Windows wireless spyware.
> Is there any way around this?
> Has anyone got a relatively easy fix for this?
>

> Stan

> -Ed Howdershelt

I don't know if this will help but it's a possibility... Xubuntu rather
than Kubuntu, but the solution seems to be desktop independent.

Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Copyright July 17, 1988 by Del Goetz

Old 06-13-2008, 08:24 PM
cherryfinals

Thanks.

I just spoke with her and she is going to use a cat5 cable for a few
months, until I can get down there on vacation and install NDSwrapper.

The problem is that Bellsouth refuses to recognize anything but windows
drivers.

Stan