Old 06-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Michael Satterwhite

Default Printing Problem with Hardy

Last Sunday, I upgraded to Hardy. At that time, my printer (HP Photosmart
D5360) was printing correctly. This morning, I tried to run the hp-toolbox to
check Ink levels. When I did, I got the error message:

error: CUPSEXT could not be loaded. Please check HPLIP installation.

That seemed like there was a problem in the upgrade routine for HPLIP. I then
uninstalled and reinstalled HPLIP. At that point, everything was broken. I
can no longer print at all. Trying to run hp-toolbox gets the same error.

While I can live without hp-toolbox (I'd rather not!), I *DO* need to get my
printer going again asap. Can anyone suggest a fix?

---Michael

Old 06-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Nigel Ridley

Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> Last Sunday, I upgraded to Hardy. At that time, my printer (HP Photosmart
> D5360) was printing correctly. This morning, I tried to run the hp-toolbox to
> check Ink levels. When I did, I got the error message:
>
> error: CUPSEXT could not be loaded. Please check HPLIP installation.
>
> That seemed like there was a problem in the upgrade routine for HPLIP. I then
> uninstalled and reinstalled HPLIP. At that point, everything was broken. I
> can no longer print at all. Trying to run hp-toolbox gets the same error.
>
> While I can live without hp-toolbox (I'd rather not!), I *DO* need to get my
> printer going again asap. Can anyone suggest a fix?
>
> ---Michael

Have you installed the relevant 'gutenburg' apps (they contain the drivers and are not installed
by default).

Blessings,

Nigel

--