Old 06-13-2008, 02:30 PM
"Michael Leone"

Default 8.04 in Windows

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 10:22 AM, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:
> Has anyone tried the new feature to install within Windows?
>
> My reasoning is that I just bought a new laptop and I hate to do
> anything while it's in warranty,

No need to justify what you do with your own computers. If you want to
run Kubuntu in Windows, have fun. I haven't done it, but others have,
and the reviews I read indicate it works just fine. If you want to run
solely Windows on your laptop, go ahead. Do whatever works best for
you. Regardless of how it appears sometimes, it's not like you *have*
to choose one or the other - that Windows is the enemy or something. I
use both, voluntarily, because each does some things better than the
other. As they say, the right tool for the job.

Let us know how it works under Windows.

--
Michael J. Leone
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

Life is a tragedy for those who feel, a comedy for those who think,
and a cereal for those who are hungry ...

Old 06-13-2008, 02:39 PM
"Howard Coles"

Neither is correct.*
The hardware warranty is not based on the OS installed, that is with any vendor I've worked with.* I've had Linux installed on my machines since 2000. (Dell, HP, Clone, and IBM boxes)

However, I would maintain a small Windows install for call in tech support.* Because they're going to say "we don't support Linux" if you don't.

As for swapping out hard drives, as long as the Hard drive you put in is compatible with the system, the only thing your original laptop warranty will not cover is that new hard drive.* Now, if you try to stick a drive in that physically doesn't fit, and you try to force it and break something, you're on your own.* But, I'm assuming both of you are smart enough not to do that. :-D, (considering you are using Linux [wise choice] and making enough to buy new laptops).

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 9:26 AM, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:

Billie Walsh wrote:

> Has anyone tried the new feature to install within Windows?

not me

> My reasoning is that I just bought a new laptop and I hate to do

> anything while it's in warranty, I also thought about buying a new hard

> drive and installing Kubuntu on it and taking out the original drive in

> case I need to have warranty service. I can always pop in the original

> hard drive if I have to send it in.

hm, something tells me that would void any warranty on Earth, opening

the laptop yourself etc?

Sinclair

See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.
John 3:16!

Old 06-13-2008, 03:05 PM
"Geoffrey Bays"

Billie:

Why not just use the new WUBI installer which puts Kubuntu in a
Windows directory, and can be uninstalled in Windows Software
install/uninstall just like any other Windows application. Performance
might be slightly less, but you will have no problems with warranty.

go to:

http://wubi-installer.org/

Cheers,

geoffrey

Old 06-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Billie Walsh

O. Sinclair wrote:
> Billie Walsh wrote:
>
>> Has anyone tried the new feature to install within Windows?
>>
> not me
>

>> My reasoning is that I just bought a new laptop and I hate to do
>> anything while it's in warranty, I also thought about buying a new hard
>> drive and installing Kubuntu on it and taking out the original drive in
>> case I need to have warranty service. I can always pop in the original
>> hard drive if I have to send it in.
>>
> hm, something tells me that would void any warranty on Earth, opening
> the laptop yourself etc?
>
> Sinclair

If they don't "know" I popped in a new hard drive...........................

Old 06-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Ignazio Palmisano

Billie Walsh wrote:
> O. Sinclair wrote:
>> Billie Walsh wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone tried the new feature to install within Windows?
>>>
>> not me
>>

>>> My reasoning is that I just bought a new laptop and I hate to do
>>> anything while it's in warranty, I also thought about buying a new hard
>>> drive and installing Kubuntu on it and taking out the original drive in
>>> case I need to have warranty service. I can always pop in the original
>>> hard drive if I have to send it in.
>>>
>> hm, something tells me that would void any warranty on Earth, opening
>> the laptop yourself etc?
>>
>> Sinclair
>>

> If they don't "know" I popped in a new hard drive...........................

if you have the rescue cds/dvds you can restore the current drive to the
original state (cheaper than buying another hard drive). Or make an
image of the disk...

also, usually the screws are painted blue or sealed in some way; if you
pop in a replacement it's easy the case that they can spot it...
I.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:32 PM
"Michael Leone"

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 10:26 AM, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
> Billie Walsh wrote:
>> Has anyone tried the new feature to install within Windows?
> not me
>
>> My reasoning is that I just bought a new laptop and I hate to do
>> anything while it's in warranty, I also thought about buying a new hard
>> drive and installing Kubuntu on it and taking out the original drive in
>> case I need to have warranty service. I can always pop in the original
>> hard drive if I have to send it in.
> hm, something tells me that would void any warranty on Earth, opening
> the laptop yourself etc?

You don't have to *open* the laptop itself to replace a hard drive; a
hard drive is a user-replacable part. As is memory, and changing PC
CARDs. Changing out those parts (or adding those parts, in the case of
memory [sometimes]) does not void a warranty.

Now, if you were to actually *open* the laptop (i.e., disassemble the
case, to get at the motherboard inside), or disassemble the screen,
then yes, you'd void the warranty.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Billie Walsh

Michael Leone wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 10:22 AM, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone tried the new feature to install within Windows?
>>
>> My reasoning is that I just bought a new laptop and I hate to do
>> anything while it's in warranty,
>>

> No need to justify what you do with your own computers. If you want to
> run Kubuntu in Windows, have fun. I haven't done it, but others have,
> and the reviews I read indicate it works just fine. If you want to run
> solely Windows on your laptop, go ahead. Do whatever works best for
> you. Regardless of how it appears sometimes, it's not like you *have*
> to choose one or the other - that Windows is the enemy or something. I
> use both, voluntarily, because each does some things better than the
> other. As they say, the right tool for the job.
>
> Let us know how it works under Windows.

Under other conditions I would just load Kubuntu and move on. BUT, if
you call in and tell them I don't have Windows they get all testy. If
you have to send it in for repairs and have it dual
booted..........well............it won't be when you get it back.

I went through that with a desktop I bought a couple years ago. They
left out the air duct that goes to the CPU fan. They couldn't just send
me the duct, I had to send it in for "repair". They were all testy
because I had taken out the modem card which I have no need of and they
wiped the hard drive and re-installed back to factory original because
it was dual booted with Kubuntu. It was no big deal because I was still
setting it up and using my other computer for my main box, but it did
kind of piss me off a bit. All they needed to do was pop the cover,
install the duct, and ship it back but NO they had to play around with it.

I would rather not run Kubuntu within Windows, especially Vista, but IF
I had to send it in perhaps they wouldn't notice like they would if it's
dual booted in a normal fashion. It's strictly a warranty issue for repairs.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Billie Walsh

On 06/13/2008 Howard Coles wrote:
> Neither is correct.
> The hardware warranty is not based on the OS installed, that is with
> any vendor I've worked with. I've had Linux installed on my machines
> since 2000. (Dell, HP, Clone, and IBM boxes)

No, but as I said in another reply, it does make them all testy.

> However, I would maintain a small Windows install for call in tech
> support. Because they're going to say "we don't support Linux" if
> you don't.
>
> As for swapping out hard drives, as long as the Hard drive you put in
> is compatible with the system, the only thing your original laptop
> warranty will not cover is that new hard drive.

IF I ever had to send it in for "repair" I would pop the original drive
back in. They would never know the difference.

> Now, if you try to
> stick a drive in that physically doesn't fit, and you try to force it
> and break something, you're on your own. But, I'm assuming both of
> you are smart enough not to do that. :-D,

Aw shucks! You mean I shouldn't instal a new 10,000rpm 3.5 drive. *<[D

> (considering you are using
> Linux [wise choice] and making enough to buy new laptops).

Yeah. I'm independently broke and semi-retired. This was a once in a
lifetime opportunity to buy a laptop that someone else hadn't left
finger prints all over.

I love the new laptop, and it seems to be the perfect off-the-shelf
laptop for Linux. EVERYTHING works "right out of the box" with no
issues. All the right parts installed. I've already tried 8.04 as a live
CD and its a treat.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Billie Walsh

On 06/13/2008 Geoffrey Bays wrote:
> Billie:
>
> Why not just use the new WUBI installer which puts Kubuntu in a
> Windows directory, and can be uninstalled in Windows Software
> install/uninstall just like any other Windows application. Performance
> might be slightly less, but you will have no problems with warranty.

Not my first choice but I was thinking along the same lines. That's what
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:12 PM
"Michael Leone"

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:
> because I had taken out the modem card which I have no need of and they
> wiped the hard drive and re-installed back to factory original because
> it was dual booted with Kubuntu.

It wasn't Kubuntu, specifically; they would have done the same if you
had 2 versions of Windows installed (which you can do, BTW). Standard
procedure is to reformat back to factory state; this way, they know
that any continuing problems are not caused by any other OS that they
did not personally install.

> I would rather not run Kubuntu within Windows, especially Vista, but IF
> I had to send it in perhaps they wouldn't notice like they would if it's
> dual booted in a normal fashion. It's strictly a warranty issue for repairs.

Well, if Kubuntu runs as just an app in Windows, then they shouldn't
notice anything. Unless, of course, they do as above, and set you back
to factory install state, which is the only thing they know for
certain they are responsible for ....