Old 06-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Derek Broughton

Default 8.04 in Windows

Howard Coles wrote:

Please don't top-post.

> Neither is correct.
> The hardware warranty is not based on the OS installed, that is with any
> vendor I've worked with. I've had Linux installed on my machines since
> 2000. (Dell, HP, Clone, and IBM boxes)

Rather irrelevant what they _say_, as I've had Dell refuse to honour my
warranty precisely because I had Linux installed.

> As for swapping out hard drives, as long as the Hard drive you put in is
> compatible with the system, the only thing your original laptop warranty
> will not cover is that new hard drive.

Not necessarily true. At least one Dell I owned had a hardware warranty
that explicitly stated that the only internal component I could touch was
memory.
--
derek

Old 06-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Scott

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Rather irrelevant what they _say_, as I've had Dell refuse to honour my
> warranty precisely because I had Linux installed.
WOW! I am so pleased I did not take the warranty Dell tried to force on
me (they tried to charge me for it when I did not ask for it). This is
a very good reason why never to purchase any warranty.

>> As for swapping out hard drives, as long as the Hard drive you put in is
>> compatible with the system, the only thing your original laptop warranty
>> will not cover is that new hard drive.
>
> Not necessarily true. At least one Dell I owned had a hardware warranty
> that explicitly stated that the only internal component I could touch was
> memory.
And yet, another good reason why never to pay for a warranty .

--
Your friend,
Scott

Sent to you from a Linux computer using Kubuntu Version 8.04

Old 06-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Gene Heskett

On Friday 13 June 2008, Scott wrote:
>Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Rather irrelevant what they _say_, as I've had Dell refuse to honour my
>> warranty precisely because I had Linux installed.

Circuit City gave me several chorus's of that song and dance when I bought my
laptop HP from them nearly 3 years ago now. I bought the warranty, and once it
was in my hands, I then informed them that if I had a hardware problem with it,
and they refused to service it because it had linux on it (I kept xp on a small
partition so they could access their tools) that the next place they would see
me was in court.

About 4 months later the dvd writer died. They fixed it with a new one, and
never said a thing when I had to select windows on it at boot time.

The screen and the battery are still in good shape today.

They can sing that company song all they want, but they know they haven't a leg
to stand on once they walk into the courtroom door.

>WOW! I am so pleased I did not take the warranty Dell tried to force on
>me (they tried to charge me for it when I did not ask for it). This is
>a very good reason why never to purchase any warranty.
>
>>> As for swapping out hard drives, as long as the Hard drive you put in is
>>> compatible with the system, the only thing your original laptop warranty
>>> will not cover is that new hard drive.
>>
>> Not necessarily true. At least one Dell I owned had a hardware warranty
>> that explicitly stated that the only internal component I could touch was
>> memory.
>
>And yet, another good reason why never to pay for a warranty .

Mine paid for most of itself when the writer failed.
>--
>Your friend,
>Scott
>
>Sent to you from a Linux computer using Kubuntu Version 8.04

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 06-13-2008, 06:12 PM
Sylviane et Perry White

Billie wrote:
(snip)
> the air duct that goes to the CPU fan. They couldn't just send
> me the duct, I had to send it in for "repair". They were all testy
(snip)
> and they
> wiped the hard drive and re-installed back to factory original because
> it was dual booted with Kubuntu.
(snip)
> All they needed to do was pop the cover,
> install the duct, and ship it back but NO they had to play around with it.

In my sense it was wery disgraseful.

On Friday 13 June 2008 18:12, Michael Leone wrote:
> It wasn't Kubuntu, specifically; they would have done the same if you
> had 2 versions of Windows installed (which you can do, BTW). Standard
> procedure is to reformat back to factory state; this way, they know
> that any continuing problems are not caused by any other OS that they
> did not personally install.

I can understand that the warranty team doesn't have to put up with the new
software implementations of all custommers and that the only economic way to
test *completely* the machine is with it having the standard setup.
OTOH it is absolutely unforgivable that they can take the liberty to "reformat
back to factory state" without further notice. (?)
This is expecially the case when, as in Billie's case, there was no obvious
reason complete hardware or software tests had to be run. Furthermore they
could probably have used a live CD for the tests or used the remaining M$
partition.
The difference between a standardised sloppy service an a good one may be just
a phone call away, this is called involvement. Ask for more from your
providers.

Perry

--
BOFH excuse #320: You've been infected by the Telescoping Hubble virus

Old 06-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Scott

Sylviane et Perry White wrote:
> The difference between a standardised sloppy service an a good one may be just
> a phone call away, this is called involvement. Ask for more from your
> providers.
For sure. I would never put up with the service people have explained
here and I don't think I'm going to purchase another Dell after hearing
what I have herd here. Voting with your wallet is the loudest way to
show your opinion.