FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Bruce Marshall
 
Default i hate nvidia drivers

On Thursday 12 June 2008, Willy K. Hamra wrote:
> back in feisty and gutsy, i always ran into problems using nVidia
> problems, and ending up with a lot of weirdeties, so on hardy, i
> sticked to the driver supplied in the repos, and didnt use the one from
> nVidia's website, it was working fine, actually it was working
> perfectly! but some sort of stupidity hit me today and i decided to
> install the one from nVidia's website! BAD DECISION! after reboot it
> complained about some "displayconfig-gtk" package needed, so i went to
> console and installed it, then it complained about hardware not
> recognised and i need to edit my settings, i edited them, X runs, but...
> nvidia settings will complain that the nvidia driver is not used, so i
> run "nvidia-xconfig" which stores the info about the driver in
> xorg.conf, and i end up with "displayconfig-gtk" complaining about a not
> detected hardware! if i configure anything, xorg.conf gets edited, and
> "nvidia-settings" won't be happy, so i got stuck. i restored a backup
> xorg.conf (after uninstalling the nVidia driver), and thought i was
> done! alas, i was wrong again, the restricted driver manager is showing
> me nvidia driver unticked, so i ticked it, and restart X, to get
> nothing! somewhere some file got edited and was not restored.but after
> the gutsy problems, i learned my lesson, i had a whole system backup
> just before the driver install, so now while i am writing this message,
> tar is digging through the hard drive restoring my files back,
> hopefully, everything will return to it's previous state, and taking a
> mental note to never install nvidia's driver till at least kubuntu 10.xx :P

I understand that it didn't work for you, but I have the proprietary driver
on several machines and have never had a lick of problems... but I have had
problems with the ones that are provided with the system.

Just providing the other side of the coin.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 06-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Bruce Marshall
 
Default i hate nvidia drivers

On Thursday 12 June 2008, Jared Greenwald wrote:
> If it makes you feel any better, I'm never able to get my setup
> working with the nvidia-settings package either. *I have a twinview
> setup on 2 21" CRT and I cannot ever get nvidia-settings to set the
> resolution any higher than 1024x768 even though I know they support
> 1600x1200. *I ended up going through the gentoo-wiki.com twinview
> sections and crafting my xorg.conf mostly by hand and keeping it
> backed up in case of reinstall.

Are you sure your NV card has enough memory to support two monitors at the
higher resolution?

I have a 1920x1400 monitor but the card I have won't do better than 166x1200

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 06-12-2008, 08:50 PM
"Pablo L. Berdaguer"
 
Default i hate nvidia drivers

I'm using nvidia propietary driver too... but I use the one from the
repository. I too have those problems with the package downloaded from
nvidia's site.
If you have the package from nvidia working, could you please tell us how did
you manage that? Are you using Kubuntu or Ubuntu? Did you have to install
some extra package? Did you need some special configuration?

Thanks

El Thursday 12 June 2008 17:38:39 Bruce Marshall escribió:
> On Thursday 12 June 2008, Willy K. Hamra wrote:
> > back in feisty and gutsy, i always ran into problems using nVidia
> > problems, and ending up with a lot of weirdeties, so on hardy, i
> > sticked to the driver supplied in the repos, and didnt use the one from
> > nVidia's website, it was working fine, actually it was working
> > perfectly! but some sort of stupidity hit me today and i decided to
> > install the one from nVidia's website! BAD DECISION! after reboot it
> > complained about some "displayconfig-gtk" package needed, so i went to
> > console and installed it, then it complained about hardware not
> > recognised and i need to edit my settings, i edited them, X runs, but...
> > nvidia settings will complain that the nvidia driver is not used, so i
> > run "nvidia-xconfig" which stores the info about the driver in
> > xorg.conf, and i end up with "displayconfig-gtk" complaining about a not
> > detected hardware! if i configure anything, xorg.conf gets edited, and
> > "nvidia-settings" won't be happy, so i got stuck. i restored a backup
> > xorg.conf (after uninstalling the nVidia driver), and thought i was
> > done! alas, i was wrong again, the restricted driver manager is showing
> > me nvidia driver unticked, so i ticked it, and restart X, to get
> > nothing! somewhere some file got edited and was not restored.but after
> > the gutsy problems, i learned my lesson, i had a whole system backup
> > just before the driver install, so now while i am writing this message,
> > tar is digging through the hard drive restoring my files back,
> > hopefully, everything will return to it's previous state, and taking a
> > mental note to never install nvidia's driver till at least kubuntu 10.xx
> > :P
>
> I understand that it didn't work for you, but I have the proprietary
> driver on several machines and have never had a lick of problems... but I
> have had problems with the ones that are provided with the system.
>
> Just providing the other side of the coin.




--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 06-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Bruce Marshall
 
Default i hate nvidia drivers

On Thursday 12 June 2008, Pablo L. Berdaguer wrote:
> I'm using nvidia propietary driver too... but I use the one from the
> repository. I too have those problems with the package downloaded from
> nvidia's site.
> If you have the package from nvidia working, could you please tell us how
> did you manage that? Are you using Kubuntu or Ubuntu? Did you have to
> install some extra package? Did you need some special configuration?

All I did was to:

1) Kill kdm
2) Download the package and make it runnable
3) Run the package including the compile.
4) I let it check my /etc/xorg.conf over and make a backup of the original
5) THEN: added the following line
to /etc/defaults/linux-restricted-modules-common

DISABLED_MODULES="nv"

Rebooted and made some final tweaks in the NVidia X server Settings program

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 06-12-2008, 09:11 PM
"Willy K. Hamra"
 
Default i hate nvidia drivers

i got the system restored, it's all back fine, using the properietary
driver from the repos. the only time i remember that i got a working
nvidia setting other than using the repos, was using "envy", and that
was on feisty, but some people on IRC advised me not to use it as it can
create other problems, i was new to linux back then and took their
advice. does anyone on the list use envy? is it reliable?

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems
Co. Manager of Zeina Computer & Billy Net
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 06-13-2008, 02:57 AM
"Howard Coles Jr."
 
Default i hate nvidia drivers

On Thursday 12 June 2008 04:11:02 pm Willy K. Hamra wrote:
> i got the system restored, it's all back fine, using the properietary
> driver from the repos. the only time i remember that i got a working
> nvidia setting other than using the repos, was using "envy", and that
> was on feisty, but some people on IRC advised me not to use it as it can
> create other problems, i was new to linux back then and took their
> advice. does anyone on the list use envy? is it reliable?

I use it, and I'm not sure what other problems it would cause that using the
restricted driver would not also cause.

I think if you enable universe in Hardy (8.04) you can install it from there.
its called envyng now.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.
John 3:16!

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 06-13-2008, 06:06 PM
 
Default i hate nvidia drivers

>On Thursday 12 June 2008 04:11:02 pm Willy K.
Hamra wrote:

>> i got the system restored, it's all back fine, using the properietary

>> driver from the repos. the only time i remember that i got a working

>> nvidia setting other than using the repos, was using "envy",
and that

>> was on feisty, but some people on IRC advised me not to use it
as it can

>> create other problems, i was new to linux back then and took their

>> advice. does anyone on the list use envy? is it reliable?

>

>I use it, and I'm not sure what other problems it would cause that
using the

>restricted driver would not also cause.

>

>I think if you enable universe in Hardy (8.04) you can install it from
there. *

>its called envyng now.



I've used the drivers from nVidia with Ubuntu 7.10
and had problems too. *I finally

got it working and then the 8.04 upgrade put me in
a world of hurt. *When I did a

fresh install of Kubuntu I decided to give envy a
try. *This time I found it in the

repros as 'envyng'. *I had problems running the
GUI version (probably because I didn't

remove a couple of things correctly, but hey, I'm
still kinda new here). *When I ran

it from the cli it worked just like it should. *I've
had no problems at all even

after multiple kernel upgrades, started at 2.6.22.16
and last night went to 2.6.22.19

Compiz is running and all the eye candy is working.
*I think that the envy for 8.04

has had some major improvements and it is stable for
me. *I recently built my box

with all up-to-date components too.



Alan Dacey

GrokIt on the forums

================================================== ============================
This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this message is prohibited -- please immediately and permanently delete this message.
================================================== ============================

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 06-13-2008, 06:20 PM
"Willy K. Hamra"
 
Default i hate nvidia drivers

Alan_Dacey@horizonblue.com wrote:
>> On Thursday 12 June 2008 04:11:02 pm Willy K. Hamra wrote:
>>> i got the system restored, it's all back fine, using the properietary
>>> driver from the repos. the only time i remember that i got a working
>>> nvidia setting other than using the repos, was using "envy", and that
>>> was on feisty, but some people on IRC advised me not to use it as it
> can
>>> create other problems, i was new to linux back then and took their
>>> advice. does anyone on the list use envy? is it reliable?
>> I use it, and I'm not sure what other problems it would cause that using
> the
>> restricted driver would not also cause.
>>
>> I think if you enable universe in Hardy (8.04) you can install it from
> there.
>> its called envyng now.
>
> I've used the drivers from nVidia with Ubuntu 7.10 and had problems too. I
> finally
> got it working and then the 8.04 upgrade put me in a world of hurt. When
> I did a
> fresh install of Kubuntu I decided to give envy a try. This time I found
> it in the
> repros as 'envyng'. I had problems running the GUI version (probably
> because I didn't
> remove a couple of things correctly, but hey, I'm still kinda new here).
> When I ran
> it from the cli it worked just like it should. I've had no problems at
> all even
> after multiple kernel upgrades, started at 2.6.22.16 and last night went
> to 2.6.22.19
> Compiz is running and all the eye candy is working. I think that the envy
> for 8.04
> has had some major improvements and it is stable for me. I recently built
> my box
> with all up-to-date components too.
>
> Alan Dacey
> GrokIt on the forums
> ================================================== ============================
> This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this message is prohibited -- please immediately and permanently delete this message.
> ================================================== ============================
>
>
can you hibernate? i'm still having hibernation problems here, it worked
in the kernel ending in 15, then stopped working in 16 and 17, it worked
fine in 18, and now in 19 it's not! when i click hibernate the screen
goes blank (actually off) and there would be a lot of disk activity, and
then nothing! the computers hang with no display, no disk activity but
still on and it stays this way for what appears to be forever (i left it
for 5 minutes), i guess i'll backup the system and try envy.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems
Co. Manager of Zeina Computer & Billy Net
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:03 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org