Old 06-12-2008, 07:31 PM
"Willy K. Hamra"

Default i hate nvidia drivers

back in feisty and gutsy, i always ran into problems using nVidia
problems, and ending up with a lot of weirdeties, so on hardy, i
sticked to the driver supplied in the repos, and didnt use the one from
nVidia's website, it was working fine, actually it was working
perfectly! but some sort of stupidity hit me today and i decided to
install the one from nVidia's website! BAD DECISION! after reboot it
complained about some "displayconfig-gtk" package needed, so i went to
console and installed it, then it complained about hardware not
recognised and i need to edit my settings, i edited them, X runs, but...
nvidia settings will complain that the nvidia driver is not used, so i
run "nvidia-xconfig" which stores the info about the driver in
xorg.conf, and i end up with "displayconfig-gtk" complaining about a not
detected hardware! if i configure anything, xorg.conf gets edited, and
"nvidia-settings" won't be happy, so i got stuck. i restored a backup
xorg.conf (after uninstalling the nVidia driver), and thought i was
done! alas, i was wrong again, the restricted driver manager is showing
me nvidia driver unticked, so i ticked it, and restart X, to get
nothing! somewhere some file got edited and was not restored.but after
the gutsy problems, i learned my lesson, i had a whole system backup
just before the driver install, so now while i am writing this message,
tar is digging through the hard drive restoring my files back,
hopefully, everything will return to it's previous state, and taking a
mental note to never install nvidia's driver till at least kubuntu 10.xx :P

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 06-12-2008, 08:02 PM
"Jared Greenwald"

If it makes you feel any better, I'm never able to get my setup
working with the nvidia-settings package either. I have a twinview
setup on 2 21" CRT and I cannot ever get nvidia-settings to set the
resolution any higher than 1024x768 even though I know they support
1600x1200. I ended up going through the gentoo-wiki.com twinview
sections and crafting my xorg.conf mostly by hand and keeping it
backed up in case of reinstall.