Old 06-12-2008, 01:47 AM
NeonChrist

Default Installing kubuntu 8.04 on a Inspiron 1420N laptop

I'm thinking about buying the Inspiron 1420N (with a few improvements to
the stock model), but I want to install Kubuntu 8.04 on it rather than
the ubuntu 7.10 it comes with. I'm assuming that I won't run into any
problems, and that it should install and recognize the hardware with no
problems. Does anyone know if I'll need to change any drivers or other
configuration options to make it run? Will this video card support
desktop effects?

PROCESSOR: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5450 (1.66GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
OPERATING SYSTEM: Ubuntu Linux version 7.10 with DVD Playback
DISPLAY Anti-glare, widescreen 14.1 inch display (1280x800)
VIDEO CARD 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 8400M GS
MEMORY 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
HARD DRIVESize: 120GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
OPTICAL DRIVE 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write
capability
WIRELESS CARDS Intel® 3945 802.11a/g Mini-card
BATTERY OPTIONS 56Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell)
SOUND OPTIONS Integrated High Definition Audio

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:24 AM
"O. Sinclair"

NeonChrist wrote:
> I'm thinking about buying the Inspiron 1420N (with a few improvements to
> the stock model), but I want to install Kubuntu 8.04 on it rather than
> the ubuntu 7.10 it comes with. I'm assuming that I won't run into any
> problems, and that it should install and recognize the hardware with no
> problems. Does anyone know if I'll need to change any drivers or other
> configuration options to make it run? Will this video card support
> desktop effects?
>

> PROCESSOR: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5450 (1.66GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
> OPERATING SYSTEM: Ubuntu Linux version 7.10 with DVD Playback
> DISPLAY Anti-glare, widescreen 14.1 inch display (1280x800)
> VIDEO CARD 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 8400M GS
> MEMORY 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
> HARD DRIVESize: 120GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
> OPTICAL DRIVE 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write
> capability
> WIRELESS CARDS Intel® 3945 802.11a/g Mini-card
> BATTERY OPTIONS 56Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell)
> SOUND OPTIONS Integrated High Definition Audio

You should have no problems whatsoever with this configuration. Install
Kubuntu 8.04 and check on Dells linux wiki what to do (there is a ppa
repo amongst others) to work out a few kinks.

http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_8.04

Regards,
Sinclair