Old 06-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Nigel Ridley

Default Kubuntu 8.04 on a Dell XPS M1330 laptop... how to get wireless working

Robert Menes wrote:
> Greetings, fellow Kubuntu users! Yesterday, I helped a co-worker install
> Kubuntu 8.04 on his laptop.
>
> The laptop is a Dell XPS M1330 laptop with a Core 2 Duo CPU, 3GB of RAM,
> 250GB HD with WinXP Pro SP2
> and Kubuntu dual-booting, fingerprint reader, nVidia GeForce Go 8400M GS
> video card (128MB RAM), Bluetooth,
> High Definition Audio 2.0 (unknown chipset), and integrated 10/100 network
> card and PCI wireless card.
>
> Most of the hardware works out of the box, save for the nVidia card and the
> PCI wireless card. Installing the restricted
> nVidia driver (nvidia-glx-new) worked and allowed Compiz Fusion to work, but
> the PCI card is baffling me.
>
> According to KInfoCenter, the card appears to be a BroadCom based card,
> meaning that I may need the firmware
> wrapper for Kubuntu 8.04. However, another page detailing an Ubuntu install
> on the same model laptop
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InstallingUbuntuOnADellXPSM1330 says that the
> wireless PCI is in fact an Intel
> Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini Card. Rather than simply install the BroadCom
> firmware for nothing, I wanted to know
> if anyone else with this same hardware can confirm for me who the
> manufacturer is, and what steps should I take
> to enable it.
>
> For reference, I have attached the output of lspci, lspci -n, lsmod, dmesg,
> and /proc/cpuinfo. Thanks for everyone's help!
>
> --Rob
> (If it ain't Linux, it stinks :P)

Did you get it working yet?
I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with the Broadcom wireless card, whilst a friend that also has a Dell
Inspiron 1525 has the Intel wireless card! I'm not sure why Dell installs different hardware on
the same laptop models.

Anyway, I manually installed the Broadcom drivers using ndiswrapper (I followed the instructions
on the Ubuntu wiki - you can do a simple search) but now I see that there has been an update and
apparently the drivers are now available in the standard repos.

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries
http://www.oliveroot.net/

PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Old 06-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Nigel Ridley

Old 06-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Derek Broughton

Nigel Ridley wrote:

> Robert Menes wrote:

>> Most of the hardware works out of the box, save for the nVidia card and
>> the PCI wireless card. Installing the restricted
>> nVidia driver (nvidia-glx-new) worked and allowed Compiz Fusion to work,
>> but the PCI card is baffling me.
>>
>> According to KInfoCenter, the card appears to be a BroadCom based card,
>> meaning that I may need the firmware
>> wrapper for Kubuntu 8.04. However, another page detailing an Ubuntu
>> install on the same model laptop
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InstallingUbuntuOnADellXPSM1330 says that the
>> wireless PCI is in fact an Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini Card.

Trust the hardware. If KInfoCentre says it's Broadcom, it is...

> I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with the Broadcom wireless card, whilst a
> friend that also has a Dell Inspiron 1525 has the Intel wireless card! I'm
> not sure why Dell installs different hardware on the same laptop models.

Because Broadcom is probably cheaper but smart Linux shoppers prefer Intel.
When I bought my last (and I mean _last_) Dell, I think there were four
different options for wireless.

> Anyway, I manually installed the Broadcom drivers using ndiswrapper

So did I, for my current HP. But there's something to be said for
plug'n'play - my wife's laptop (that same Dell mentioned above) has gone
through 3 wireless cards in its lifetime: the original internal ipw2200, a
cheap SMC using ndiswrapper, and now it's using an atheros based D-Link. I
gotta say, I was impressed when I decided the problem she was having must
be with the cheap SMC, pulled it out and popped in the D-Link and
everything worked immediately.
--
derek

Old 06-11-2008, 08:19 PM
"Michael Leone"

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 2:42 PM, Nigel Ridley <nigel@rmk.co.il> wrote:
> I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with the Broadcom wireless card, whilst a friend that also has a Dell
> Inspiron 1525 has the Intel wireless card! I'm not sure why Dell installs different hardware on
> the same laptop models.

That's the Inpiron (consumer) line - it's assembled from off-the-shelf
components, and changes frequently. The Latitude (or business) line
standardizes more, and the components stay the same for something like
18 months, while the Inspiron components change like every 6 months.
Hence it's possible for 2 units of the same Inspiron model to have
different components.

--
Michael J. Leone
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

Life is a tragedy for those who feel, a comedy for those who think,
and a cereal for those who are hungry ...

Old 06-11-2008, 11:27 PM
Pastor JW

On Wednesday 11 June 2008 11:28:58 am Nigel Ridley wrote:

> Did you get it working yet?
> I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with the Broadcom wireless card, whilst a
> friend that also has a Dell Inspiron 1525 has the Intel wireless card! I'm
> not sure why Dell installs different hardware on the same laptop models.

Is one of them a 1525n series? They wouldn't install a windoze only unit in a
system intended for Linux use would they? Anyway, FWIW my 1525n series
has an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG (rev 2) card in it.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org