Old 06-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Billie Walsh

Default 64 bit question

All the 64 bit versions I see on the lists are AMD64. Can you run them
on an Intel Dual Core?

Old 06-11-2008, 05:49 PM
"Jared Greenwald"

yes - on the download page for the isos it says that the amd64 version
is for EM64T as well as actual AMD 64 processors. I'm running these on
a Pentium D (dual core) right now and they work fine.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:55 PM
"Willy K. Hamra"

Billie Walsh wrote:
> All the 64 bit versions I see on the lists are AMD64. Can you run them
> on an Intel Dual Core?

it didn't work for me on a EM64T capable processor, a pentium IV with
Hyper Threading.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 06-11-2008, 06:01 PM
"Jared Greenwald"

Are you sure your processor is EM64T-compatible? Check the flags in
/proc/cpuinfo for "lm" (aka long mode). If that's there you should be
good to run the AMD64 versions.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Billie Walsh

Jared Greenwald wrote:
> yes - on the download page for the isos it says that the amd64 version
> is for EM64T as well as actual AMD 64 processors. I'm running these on
> a Pentium D (dual core) right now and they work fine.
>
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 1:37 PM, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:
>
>> All the 64 bit versions I see on the lists are AMD64. Can you run them
>> on an Intel Dual Core?
>>
>> --
>> Life is what happens while your busy making other plans.
>>

>> --

Thanks. I have two Intel Dual core computers but haven't ever tried the
64 bit version.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:32 AM
"Phil Bieber"

Hi!
I've been running Ubuntu 64 bit for quite a while on Core 2 Duo.
AMD64 is just a generic name for all 64 Bit processors / technologies out there!

Cheers
Phil Bieber
--
Warnings from the manual for Layer Express v2 (an AutoCAD extension):
Written on Page 12 (Blank page separating Ch. 1 & 2):

GPG KEY ID (Philipp Bieber): 0x0185E301
FINGERPRINT: CA81 28C2 E63F DAF8 5ED4 DACB 7C26 EE5B 0185 E301
Phil Bieber - philbieber@gmail.com

GPG KEY ID (Philipp Bieber Work): 0x3E43576A
FINGERPRINT: F043 92A1 2A2C 5256 52A9 DECB A39F B04C 3E43 576A
Philipp Bieber - philipp.bieber@gundlach.de

Old 06-12-2008, 10:02 AM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/6/12 Phil Bieber <philbieber@gmail.com>:
> Hi!
> I've been running Ubuntu 64 bit for quite a while on Core 2 Duo.
> AMD64 is just a generic name for all 64 Bit processors / technologies out there!
>
> Cheers
> Phil Bieber

I think it's wrong to say that it's a generic name for all 64 bits
processors. 64 bits CPU:s is not only the latest processors from AMD
and Intel with the x86-64 extension. There are many vendors with other
64 bits architectures, like PowerPC and Intels Itanium (IA-64), and
they are not supported by the latest Ubuntu AMD64.

But for the OP question about support for the Intel Dual Core (as
already answered) the Ubuntu AMD64 works fine.

/ Jonas

Old 06-12-2008, 10:41 AM
"Phil Bieber"

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:02, Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/6/12 Phil Bieber <philbieber@gmail.com>:
>> Hi!
>> I've been running Ubuntu 64 bit for quite a while on Core 2 Duo.
>> AMD64 is just a generic name for all 64 Bit processors / technologies out there!
>>
>> Cheers
>> Phil Bieber
>
> I think it's wrong to say that it's a generic name for all 64 bits
> processors. 64 bits CPU:s is not only the latest processors from AMD
> and Intel with the x86-64 extension. There are many vendors with other
> 64 bits architectures, like PowerPC and Intels Itanium (IA-64), and
> they are not supported by the latest Ubuntu AMD64.
>
> But for the OP question about support for the Intel Dual Core (as
> already answered) the Ubuntu AMD64 works fine.
>
> / Jonas

True,
what I ment was "a generic name for all i386 based 64 Bit CPUs" or
something in that general direction

Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers
Phil Bieber

Old 06-13-2008, 08:58 AM
James Gray

Phil Bieber wrote:
> Hi!
> I've been running Ubuntu 64 bit for quite a while on Core 2 Duo.
> AMD64 is just a generic name for all 64 Bit processors / technologies out there!

So what about IA64 (aka Itanium), Sparc, PowerPC...the list goes on.
AMD64/EM64T are still IA32 instruction sets with some 64bit instructions
added on (similar to the addition of MMX etc). If you have an IA32
processor with 64 bit extensions (currently EM64T/AMD64/Core2) you can
run the 64 bit edition of Ubuntu.

HTH,

James