Old 06-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Neil Winchurst

Default SMTP for a second user

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I have Gutsy (kubuntu) working fine for me. I have set up TBird as my
> email client and it works fine.
>
> I have set up my daughter as a second user. I can get everything to work
> for her except TBird. She can receive messages but cannot send any. I
> have checked the server settings for SMTP and they are OK. I get the
> message that TBird cannot connect to the server.
>
> I am wondering if there are some permission problems somewhere, or
> perhaps I need to add her to a group. Can anyone point me in the right
> direction please?
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil Winchurst

Answering my own question...

It is so long since I set up a user that I had forgotten. TBird outgoing
server defaults to requesting a user name and password. This is not
necessary with the server I use. I had forgotten to switch it off.

It is not immediately obvious. In Tbird go to Edit -> Account Settings
-> Outgoing Server. Then click on the Edit button and switch off
Security and Authentication. I had not done that and every time that I
tried to send a test email I was asked for the password, only there
isn't one!!

Get old, get forgetful!!

Neil