Old 06-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Uwe Brauer

Default how to find installed 3rd party debs?

Hello

From time to time I install 3rd party packages, either generated by my
own using alien or from other sites.

Now is there a possibility to find out which of my deb packages are
installed from the official reps and which are not?

Thanks and regards

Uwe Brauer

Old 06-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Wulfy

Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Hello
>
> >From time to time I install 3rd party packages, either generated by my
> own using alien or from other sites.
>
> Now is there a possibility to find out which of my deb packages are
> installed from the official reps and which are not?
>
> Thanks and regards
>
> Uwe Brauer

If you use aptitude, in the TUI has tree list of:

Installed Packages
Not Installed Packages
Obsolete and Locally Created Packages <===== this is what you're looking
for.
Virtual Packages
Tasks

Everything but the indicated branch is in the repositories that
sources.list points to.

To start the TUI, just enter:

$ sudo aptitude

at the console. It works without the sudo, but just for looking - you
can't change anything without root privileges, of course...

HTH

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Copyright July 17, 1988 by Del Goetz

Old 06-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Derek Broughton

Wulfy wrote:

> Uwe Brauer wrote:
>>
>> >From time to time I install 3rd party packages, either generated by my
>> own using alien or from other sites.
>>
>> Now is there a possibility to find out which of my deb packages are
>> installed from the official reps and which are not?
>>
> If you use aptitude, in the TUI has tree list of:
>
> Installed Packages
> Not Installed Packages
> Obsolete and Locally Created Packages <===== this is what you're looking
> for.
> Virtual Packages
> Tasks
>
> Everything but the indicated branch is in the repositories that
> sources.list points to.

That's convenient if the user just downloaded debs, but doesn't help for
situations where we've added a third party repository to the sources (I
suppose you could comment them out, run "aptitude update" and get the same
information). Another solution is:

# apt-cache madison `aptitude search '~i !~M' | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 2 -d ' '`

The "aptitude search" finds manually installed packages (omit the !~M if you
need to include packages automatically installed as dependencies of
something else - but that would be an unusual case), "tr" and "cut" just
trim the results down to package names, and "apt-cache madison" is
like "apt-cache policy" but more conveniently formatted for large amounts
of data. Pipe the output through "| grep -v ubuntu.com | sort -u" to find
those packages not from Ubuntu.

(And no, I didn't just go to the trouble of whipping this up for you -
somebody else gave me the aptitude command for finding the packages, and I
added the tr and cut to create a weekly cron job that keeps a list of all
my installed packages, so that I can easily recreate this setup on another
system)

--
derek

Old 06-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Uwe Brauer

> Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> Uwe Brauer
>>

> If you use aptitude, in the TUI has tree list of:

> Installed Packages
> Not Installed Packages
> Obsolete and Locally Created Packages <===== this is what you're looking
> for.

Thanks very much, this is what I was looking for!!!

Uwe

Old 06-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Uwe Brauer

> If you use aptitude, in the TUI has tree list of:

> Installed Packages
> Not Installed Packages
> Obsolete and Locally Created Packages <===== this is what you're looking
> for.

Well actually there seems to be a problem:
when entering in that node I see
the following
unknown
admin
alien
base
checkinstall
comm
devel
doc
editors

etc

Now admin, checkinstall and alien contain indeed some of the 3rd party
debs. However I also have installed a modem driver form linuxant,
which I can find in this node.

Uwe Brauer

Old 06-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Uwe Brauer

> Wulfy wrote:

> # apt-cache madison `aptitude search '~i !~M' | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 2 -d ' '`

Thanks but I obtain a odd result:

amarok | 2:1.4.5-0ubuntu2~edgy1kubuntu1 | http://archive.czessi.net edgy/main Packages
amarok | 2:1.4.4-0ubuntu1 | http://kubuntu.org edgy/main Packages
amarok-xine | 2:1.4.5-0ubuntu2~edgy1kubuntu1 | http://archive.czessi.net edgy/main Package
amarok-xine | 2:1.4.4-0ubuntu1 | http://kubuntu.org edgy/main Packages
digikam | 2:0.9.1-0kubuntu2 | http://archive.czessi.net edgy/universe Packages
dvd+rw-tools | 7.0-6~edgy1 | http://archive.czessi.net edgy/main Packages
hal | 0.5.7.1-0ubuntu13linux2go1 | http://www.linux2go.dk edgy/main Packages
k3b | 1.0-0ubuntu2kubuntu1~edgy1 | http://archive.czessi.net edgy/main Packages
kaffeine | 0.8.4-0kubuntu1~edgy1 | http://archive.czessi.net edgy/main Packages
kaffeine-xine | 0.8.4-0kubuntu1~edgy1 | http://archive.czessi.net edgy/main Packages
kipi-plugins | 0.1.3-0kubuntu1 | http://archive.czessi.net edgy/universe Packages
koffice-data | 1:1.6.2-0ubuntu1~edgy1 | http://kubuntu.org edgy/main Packages
koffice-libs | 1:1.6.2-0ubuntu1~edgy1 | http://kubuntu.org edgy/main Packages
krita | 1:1.6.2-0ubuntu1~edgy1 | http://kubuntu.org edgy/main Packages
krita-data | 1:1.6.2-0ubuntu1~edgy1 | http://kubuntu.org edgy/main Packages
kspread | 1:1.6.2-0ubuntu1~edgy1 | http://kubuntu.org edgy/main Packages
ktorrent | 2.1-0kubuntu1 | http://archive.czessi.net edgy/main Packages
etc

Some of the debs seems not to be official, but some like
http://kubuntu.org edgy/main Packages should be....

So what is wrong here?

Uwe Brauer

Old 06-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Derek Broughton

Uwe Brauer wrote:

> > # apt-cache madison `aptitude search '~i !~M' | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 2
> > # -d ' '`
>
> Thanks but I obtain a odd result:
>
> amarok | 2:1.4.5-0ubuntu2~edgy1kubuntu1 | http://archive.czessi.net
> edgy/main Packages
> etc
>
> Some of the debs seems not to be official, but some like
> http://kubuntu.org edgy/main Packages should be....
>
> So what is wrong here?

Nothing. I specifically gave you a command to include _official_ Ubuntu
packages. Kubuntu.org is not an official Ubuntu site. If you want to
exclude those, add "kubuntu.org" to the grep. However, in your case,
you're likely to see odd results anyway, as edgy no longer exists in the
official repositories, either.
--
derek

Old 06-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Wulfy

Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Well actually there seems to be a problem:
> when entering in that node I see
> the following
> unknown
> admin
> alien
> base
> checkinstall
> comm
> devel
> doc
> editors
>

> etc
>
> Now admin, checkinstall and alien contain indeed some of the 3rd party
> debs. However I also have installed a modem driver form linuxant,
> which I can find in this node.
>

> Uwe Brauer

I think it should say something like "Those debs installed from other
places than the repositories in the sources.list"...