Old 06-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Lisi Reisz

Default Translation needed please, Dotan.

On Saturday 07 June 2008 20:47:05 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/6/7 John Heinen <hensandpat@earthlink.net>:
> > What is IRC ? John H
>
> Get off my lawn!!

Translation, please for the ignorant. :-(

Of the metaphorical meaning, not the literal. ;-)

Lisi

Old 06-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Ignazio Palmisano

Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Saturday 07 June 2008 20:47:05 Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> 2008/6/7 John Heinen <hensandpat@earthlink.net>:
>>> What is IRC ? John H
>> Get off my lawn!!
>
> Translation, please for the ignorant. :-(

My guess is: grumpy old guy screaming at 12 years old playing football
on his property... "Get off my lawn!"
I.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Saturday 07 June 2008, Ignazio Palmisano wrote:
> [...]

Internet relay chat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat

Old 06-08-2008, 01:28 PM
"Willy Hamra"

lisi, the wikipedia article provided is very helpful, if you want to see what IRC is, the quickest and simplest way is, "K-Menu---> Internet ---> Konversation" , assuming that you are of course using kubuntu,and never run "Konversation" before, you will automatically be connected to the freenode server, and the program will join the kubuntu support channel. if you used any instan messaging program before, you won't have any hard time recognising the interface, you will see a lot of people chatting, and you can participate too. by the way the kubuntu support channel is very helpful if you have problems.

2008/6/8 Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@bmarsh.com>:

Internet relay chat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat

Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems
Co. Manager of Zeina Computers and Billy Net.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Lisi Reisz

On Sunday 08 June 2008 14:28:41 Willy Hamra wrote:
> lisi, the wikipedia article provided is very helpful, if you want to see
> what IRC is,

Thanks for the explanation, Willy. I appreciate your taking the time, but in
fact it wasn't I who was asking about IRC. I asked Dotan to explain what
keeping off lawns had to do with a question someone else asked about IRC. My
message got truncated by someone else.

And Dotan, I can see that lawns would be precious in Israel, but I still can't
see what that has to do with IRC, so I am obviously being a bit dim. :-(

Lisi

Old 06-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Billie Walsh

Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Sunday 08 June 2008 14:28:41 Willy Hamra wrote:
>
>> lisi, the wikipedia article provided is very helpful, if you want to see
>> what IRC is,
>>

> Thanks for the explanation, Willy. I appreciate your taking the time, but in
> fact it wasn't I who was asking about IRC. I asked Dotan to explain what
> keeping off lawns had to do with a question someone else asked about IRC. My
> message got truncated by someone else.
>
> And Dotan, I can see that lawns would be precious in Israel, but I still can't
> see what that has to do with IRC, so I am obviously being a bit dim. :-(
>
> Lisi

I think a more Americanized version might be "Get outa here" [ not in as
actually leaving but a slang for are you kidding me ]. Other
possibilities might include "Your puttin me on" or "are you kidding".
Could be wrong about that but in context it seems to fit.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Lisi Reisz

On Sunday 08 June 2008 16:04:43 Billie Walsh wrote:
> Lisi Reisz wrote:
[snip]
> > And Dotan, I can see that lawns would be precious in Israel, but I still
> > can't see what that has to do with IRC, so I am obviously being a bit
> > dim. :-(
> >
> > Lisi
> >
> > *
>
> I think a more Americanized version might be "Get outa here" [ not in as
> actually leaving but a slang for are you kidding me ]. Other
> possibilities might include "Your puttin me on" or "are you kidding".
> Could be wrong about that but in context it seems to fit.

Thanks, Billie. That certainly would explain it. I must obviously brush up
my American, which is more than a trifle rusty. :-(

What was it Shaw said about 2 people divided by a common language?? ;-)

Lisi

Old 06-08-2008, 05:25 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/6/7 Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>:
> On Saturday 07 June 2008 20:47:05 Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> 2008/6/7 John Heinen <hensandpat@earthlink.net>:
>> > What is IRC ? John H
>>
>> Get off my lawn!!
>
> Translation, please for the ignorant. :-(

עוף מהחצר שלי!

> Of the metaphorical meaning, not the literal. ;-)

Oh. It jokingly means that the person who made the previous comment is
very young. "Get off my lawn" is a common slashdot.org meme for
pointing out people who are unfamiliar with subjects that only
old-timers know about.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-08-2008, 05:28 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/6/8 Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>:
> And Dotan, I can see that lawns would be precious in Israel, but I still can't
> see what that has to do with IRC, so I am obviously being a bit dim. :-(

It is not an Israeli expression. In fact, here we are more likely to
offer a glass of juice to a stranger on our lawn than to shoo him away

This may enlighten you:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22get%20off%20my%20lawn%22%20site%3Aslas hdot.org

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-09-2008, 12:42 AM
Billie Walsh

Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Sunday 08 June 2008 16:04:43 Billie Walsh wrote:
>
>> Lisi Reisz wrote:
>>
> [snip]
>
>>> And Dotan, I can see that lawns would be precious in Israel, but I still
>>> can't see what that has to do with IRC, so I am obviously being a bit
>>> dim. :-(
>>>
>>> Lisi
>>>

>> I think a more Americanized version might be "Get outa here" [ not in as
>> actually leaving but a slang for are you kidding me ]. Other
>> possibilities might include "Your puttin me on" or "are you kidding".
>> Could be wrong about that but in context it seems to fit.
>>

> Thanks, Billie. That certainly would explain it. I must obviously brush up
> my American, which is more than a trifle rusty. :-(
>
> What was it Shaw said about 2 people divided by a common language?? ;-)
>
> Lisi

Many years ago we had a couple of young men come to put on a soccer [
football ] camp for the younger kids in our club. I had taken a week off
from work to be available for anything they might need. I told them that
I, amongst other things, could shag balls for them [ meaning to chase
down the balls that went astray ]. They immediately got rather confused
looks on their faces. It took us about thirty minutes to sort out the
terms in use. The English people and Americans "are" a people separated
by a common language. [ Hood/Bonnet, Trunk/Boot, Top/Hood, etc., etc, ad
infinitum et nauseum ]