Old 06-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Paul S

Default kde4 launch menu

I prefer to use a mouse as little as possible. I tried kde4 4.0.5 and
can't figure a way to launch the menu or any of the launchers. For
example, in kde 3.5.9, I can use Alt-F1 to launch the menu and then
press keys that spell out the particular menu item to select it with
<return>. Or, I use Alt-space to pop up katapult and type the name and
hit return.

I can't find anything like this in kde4 nor do I find any keyboard
shortcuts to specify. But, the docs are sparse still, so maybe I've
just missed it.

Any ideas how to do this?

TIA

Old 06-07-2008, 06:34 PM
"Lydia Pintscher"

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 19:43, Paul S <paulatgm@gmail.com> wrote:
I prefer to use a mouse as little as possible. I tried kde4 4.0.5 and
> can't figure a way to launch the menu or any of the launchers. For
> example, in kde 3.5.9, I can use Alt-F1 to launch the menu and then
> press keys that spell out the particular menu item to select it with
> <return>. Or, I use Alt-space to pop up katapult and type the name and
> hit return.
>
> I can't find anything like this in kde4 nor do I find any keyboard
> shortcuts to specify. But, the docs are sparse still, so maybe I've
> just missed it.
>
> Any ideas how to do this?
>
> TIA

Focusing the menu by keyboard and navigating it is not yet implemented
unfortunately.
You can use KRunner which is similar to Katapult in KDE 3 and better
;-) You can get it with ALT+F2. Also check the settings in the window
that appears to see what KRunner can do already. It will get a lot of
more awesome features in the future.

Cheers
Lydia

--
Lydia Pintscher
Amarok community manager

Old 06-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Martin Meredith

On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 20:34 +0200, Lydia Pintscher wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 19:43, Paul S <paulatgm@gmail.com> wrote:
> I prefer to use a mouse as little as possible. I tried kde4 4.0.5 and
> > can't figure a way to launch the menu or any of the launchers. For
> > example, in kde 3.5.9, I can use Alt-F1 to launch the menu and then
> > press keys that spell out the particular menu item to select it with
> > <return>. Or, I use Alt-space to pop up katapult and type the name and
> > hit return.
> >
> > I can't find anything like this in kde4 nor do I find any keyboard
> > shortcuts to specify. But, the docs are sparse still, so maybe I've
> > just missed it.
> >
> > Any ideas how to do this?
> >
> > TIA
>
> Focusing the menu by keyboard and navigating it is not yet implemented
> unfortunately.
> You can use KRunner which is similar to Katapult in KDE 3 and better
> ;-) You can get it with ALT+F2. Also check the settings in the window
> that appears to see what KRunner can do already. It will get a lot of
> more awesome features in the future.

Tsk, tsk Lydia - krunner is NOT better - it's just different.

Plus, Katapult IS undergoing a rewrite for KDE4 (and KDE3) - though as
noone else seems to want to help - this is all being done in my own time
(and researching the new technologies it's using (dbus, QT4, etc etc) is
time consuming.

Hopefully we'll see the new version soon, though - am unsure what to
number it because of it's wubbly major rewrite!)