Old 06-06-2008, 04:39 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default okular for KDE 3.5.9?

2008/6/6 Pete <teeahr1@gmail.com>:
> Yeah, KDE4 apps can live perfectly happily inside KDE3.5.x. Regarding font
> substitution, I don't know.

So it is not backported to KDE3? I do not want to install all of KDE4.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Chris Jones

> So it is not backported to KDE3? I do not want to install all of KDE4.

You shouldn't need to drag in *all of KDE4* - One the aims of KDE4 was
to repackage things more fine grained to allow people who only want to
install a few apps to do so without havng to install any more than they
need.

Chris

Old 06-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Pete

/me checks the depends list

Yowza. Yeah, all that. There isn't a backport unless there's an unofficial one floating around somewhere, but I haven't heard of such a thing.

2008/6/6 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>:

2008/6/6 Pete <teeahr1@gmail.com>:

> Yeah, KDE4 apps can live perfectly happily inside KDE3.5.x. Regarding font

> substitution, I don't know.

So it is not backported to KDE3? I do not want to install all of KDE4.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com

http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-06-2008, 04:53 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/6/6 Pete <teeahr1@gmail.com>:
> /me checks the depends list
>
> Yowza. Yeah, all that. There isn't a backport unless there's an unofficial
> one floating around somewhere, but I haven't heard of such a thing.

Well, I looked for one but could not find it. Bassa.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Chris Jones

> You shouldn't need to drag in *all of KDE4* - One the aims of KDE4 was
> to repackage things more fine grained to allow people who only want to
> install a few apps to do so without havng to install any more than they
> need.

For what it's worth

chris ~ > sudo apt-get install okular-kde4
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
kde-icons-oxygen kde4libs-bin kdebase-runtime
kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4 kdebase-runtime-data kdelibs5
libokularcore1-kde4 libphonon4 libstrigiqtdbusclient0
Suggested packages:
kdebase okular-extra-backends-kde4
The following NEW packages will be installed
kde-icons-oxygen kde4libs-bin kdebase-runtime
kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4 kdebase-runtime-data kdelibs5
libokularcore1-kde4 libphonon4 libstrigiqtdbusclient0 okular-kde4
0 upgraded, 10 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 59.3MB of archives.
After this operation, 99.8MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

So true not exactly minimalistic, but once you have done that you have
likely installed most of what any other kde4 app will need, so any other
apps will have very minimal requirements.

Chris

Old 06-06-2008, 05:07 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/6/6 Chris Jones <jonesc@hep.phy.cam.ac.uk>:

>> You shouldn't need to drag in *all of KDE4* - One the aims of KDE4 was
>> to repackage things more fine grained to allow people who only want to
>> install a few apps to do so without havng to install any more than they
>> need.
>
> For what it's worth
>
> chris ~ > sudo apt-get install okular-kde4

Thanks, Chris. I tried to install "okular", couldn't find it, so I
downloaded a .deb. Trying to install that deb I had something like a
GB of dependencies. I'm not apt-getting okular-kde4 now, as I can
handle 70 MB (I see that yours topped out at almost 100). Thanks!

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-06-2008, 05:09 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

What's interesting, is that 45 MB of the install is the Oxygen Icon
set. Talk about bloat for installing one app! (don't flame me, I know
why this is)

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Chris Jones

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> What's interesting, is that 45 MB of the install is the Oxygen Icon
> set. Talk about bloat for installing one app! (don't flame me, I know
> why this is)

Indeed, I noticed the very same thing. Installing *all* the oxygen icons
just for one app does seem overkill. Hopefully something else they will
address sometime..

Chris

Old 06-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Joel Oliver

Chris Jones wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
>> What's interesting, is that 45 MB of the install is the Oxygen Icon
>> set. Talk about bloat for installing one app! (don't flame me, I know
>> why this is)
>>

> Indeed, I noticed the very same thing. Installing *all* the oxygen icons
> just for one app does seem overkill. Hopefully something else they will
> address sometime..
>
> Chris

Which brings up a good point. Why can't just a "diff" for somw large
files be downloaded instead of the whole package. Seems like a HUGE
waste of bandwidth. I guess if I were a decent coder... No I'm not,
but there should be a better way... I mean what changed in the oxygen
icons? About 1MB if that...

Should be some experimental 'opt in' binary patching system for .debs
somehow.... The savings would be massive in the end.