Old 06-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Knapp

Default PDF reader that lets one override fonts

BTW Gmail translated the font but sadly without pictures.

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com> wrote:

2008/6/7 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>:

2008/6/7 Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com>:

> May I have a copy also?

Thank you Knapp. The file is in Hebrew, so I do not think that you

will be able to understand it, sorry. However, the offending font is

called GuttmanYad, and there seem to be more than one variety of it in

the document.Here is the title of the document in a non-handwriting

font:

‫מבוא לה*דסת חומרים- פתרו*ות

I doubt that your computer will display that in a handwriting font, if

at all! This message is not in HTML, so it will probably show up in

monospace.

Thanks for your help. I very much appreciate it.

Dotan Cohen

I can read it. (but I only studied Hebrew for a month, so, no I don't understand it.)

--
Douglas E Knapp

Douglas E Knapp

Old 06-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Knapp

Open it with inkscape! Problem solved.
DEK
PS Now you owe me. :-) That took some time. LOL

Old 06-07-2008, 08:43 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/6/7 Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com>:
> Open it with inkscape! Problem solved.
> DEK
> PS Now you owe me. :-) That took some time. LOL

Thank you Knapp! I did discover that Inkscape opens the file properly,
and just a few minutes ago discovered that Inkscape exports to PS just
fine. However, upon export to PDF Inkscape destroys the letterspacing
and the document is unreadable.

The problem with Inkscape is that it only translates one page at a
time. I have 20+ documents, averaging 10 pages each, so that means
that I will have to do 200 manual conversions. I am afraid that the
pressure of the upcoming exam, for which I am reading these files,
forces me to delay my learning of how to handle this situation. I will
update the thread when (if) I learn to script Inkscape to remove fonts
from pdf files in bulk.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Knapp

A quick brows of "man inkscape" shows that you can open and save files with the command line. Now all you need is a command line jockey and that is not me. Should be easy to write and there you have it all your files done.

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 10:43 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

2008/6/7 Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com>:

> Open it with inkscape! Problem solved.

> DEK

> PS Now you owe me. :-) That took some time. LOL

Thank you Knapp! I did discover that Inkscape opens the file properly,

and just a few minutes ago discovered that Inkscape exports to PS just

fine. However, upon export to PDF Inkscape destroys the letterspacing

and the document is unreadable.

The problem with Inkscape is that it only translates one page at a

time. I have 20+ documents, averaging 10 pages each, so that means

that I will have to do 200 manual conversions. I am afraid that the

pressure of the upcoming exam, for which I am reading these files,

forces me to delay my learning of how to handle this situation. I will

update the thread when (if) I learn to script Inkscape to remove fonts

from pdf files in bulk.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com

http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:20 PM
"Kelly L. Fulks"

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/6/7 Kelly L. Fulks <kfulks@knology.net>:
>> Having said that O'Reilly has a book on PDF hacks. I don't have a copy
>> of it, but a co-worker does and it is possible that there is something
>> in it. If you don't have a resolution by Monday, I will try to remember
>> to look in it.
>>

> Thanks, I would appreciate it. I must stop this project of finding a
> way around the fonts now because I must study! Exam in less than a
> week! But if you can ask on monday I would much appreciate it. I will
> send you a copy of the offending PDF in private mail, as it is only
> possible to experiment on the real thing. Thanks.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Dotan,

I kept forgetting to drop you a line on this one. I checked the PDF
Hacks book that my friend has, and it did not have anything about
replacing the fonts via programming. This still sounds like an
interesting project and I am sure that there is a way to do it, but it
would probably require reading the PDF file with a program and finding
the font definitions and replacing them as you write the file back out
(to a new file). I haven't done enough work with PDFs to know whether
that is possible with ease.

--
Kelly L. Fulks
Home Account