Old 06-07-2008, 04:37 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default PDF reader that lets one override fonts

2008/6/6 Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net>:
> On Friday 06 June 2008 4:11:08 am Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> I have several PDFs in a terrible illegible font that I must read. The
>> PDFs are text, as confirmed by copying and pasting the contents from
>> KPDF to Open Office Writer. Is there a PDF reader that allows the user
>> to override fonts, thus saving me a step? Thanks in advance.
>

> Maybe, but why not just change the fonts in OpenOffice and read it there?

The current OpenOffice cannot import PDF documents. OOo3 will have a
PDF import plugin available.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-07-2008, 04:38 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/6/6 Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net>:
> On Friday 06 June 2008 7:39:05 am Phil Bieber wrote:
>> Today I read an article at http://www.oooninja.com/ that there is a
>> new extension for OpenOffice for importing PDFs... maybe that is
>> helpful. Or just save 'em with KOffice as a ODF or txt file...
>> Just a thought.
>
> If you want to import, use scribus.

Scribus is complaining that PDFs are not supported files, for some
reason. All PDFs, not just these.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-07-2008, 04:57 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/6/6 Donn <donn.ingle@gmail.com>:
>> It is the GuttmanYad fonts that are illegible. All four are embedded.
> Yeah, I see that. I was hoping they were all 'no' and then you could find the
> fonts you want, rename them (to what the pdf wants) and drop them into
> ~/.fonts which should work.
>
> Another tack:
> I found a link:http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000235
> "Handy hint: You can run pdf2ps on existing PDF files and it will change
> embedded fonts to embedded font subsets, usually reducing the file size
> substantially." -- not 100% what you need, but it has a few hints.

I tried that, naturally. It took the 200 kb PDF and turned it into a
4.4 MB PS file, and preserved that terrible font as an image!

> So, perhaps pdf2ps then backwards, ps2pdf might just do it? I'm hoping for an
> error and a substitution of local fonts.

We should be so lucky.

> They also mention pdfedit (in repos):
> http://pdfedit.petricek.net/user_doc.html#gui_toolbars_text

I'm trying to use pdfedit, but it keeps hanging. I'll keep trying.

> And, here, a glimmer of hope:
> Go to ps, then back with a switch...
> ps2pdf -dEmbedAllFonts=true WonderDog.ps
> http://www.linux.com/articles/35022

As the PS file was images, the resulting PDF was images as well
instead of text. So, I tried running ps2pdf directly on the PDF file,
as I know that PDF is a subset of PS. That GutmanYad font is
persistent. It threw some errors, but completed. However, the font
stayed:

hardy2@hardy2-laptop:~$ pdffonts chapter1_exp-1.pdf.pdf
name type emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
Error: Illegal entry in bfrange block in ToUnicode CMap
(tens of these errors)
FHDBRN+SymbolMT-Identity-H CID TrueType yes yes yes 26 0
QLXDAR+GuttmanYadLight-Identity-H CID TrueType yes yes yes 21 0
UXGOHY+GuttmanYad-Brush-Identity-H CID TrueType yes yes yes 11 0
XKKHMO+TimesNewRomanPSMT TrueType yes yes no 8 0
Helvetica Type 1 no no no 20 0
CISDDW+GuttmanYad-Brush TrueType yes yes no 14 0
HASFFT+GuttmanYadLight TrueType yes yes no 16 0
Times-Italic Type 1 no no no 24 0
Times-Bold Type 1 no no no 18 0
Error: Illegal entry in bfrange block in ToUnicode CMap
(tens of these errors)
KNBAAA+MT-Extra-Identity-H CID TrueType yes yes yes 48 0
Error: Illegal entry in bfrange block in ToUnicode CMap
(tens of these errors)
Helvetica-Bold Type 1 no no no 60 0
Error: Illegal entry in bfrange block in ToUnicode CMap
(tens of these errors)
WVBDTP+TimesNewRomanPSMT-Identity-H CID TrueType yes yes yes 68 0
Error: Illegal entry in bfrange block in ToUnicode CMap
(tens of these errors)

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-07-2008, 04:58 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/6/7 Kelly L. Fulks <kfulks@knology.net>:
> That would be kind of against the idea of a PDF. PDF (Portable Document
> Format) was intended to provide a way of distributing documents so that
> they would like the same independent of the application in which they
> are displayed or the device upon which they are printed. Therefore
> overriding the defined fonts would mean that they are not the same.

That is true, however, most PDF readers allow one to override colours
and some (including Adobe Acrobat) can 'reflow' the PDF to fit smaller
screens. So changing font should not be such a problem.

> Having said that O'Reilly has a book on PDF hacks. I don't have a copy
> of it, but a co-worker does and it is possible that there is something
> in it. If you don't have a resolution by Monday, I will try to remember
> to look in it.
>
> --
> Kelly L. Fulks
> Home Account
> near Huntsville, AL

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-07-2008, 05:00 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/6/7 Kelly L. Fulks <kfulks@knology.net>:
> Having said that O'Reilly has a book on PDF hacks. I don't have a copy
> of it, but a co-worker does and it is possible that there is something
> in it. If you don't have a resolution by Monday, I will try to remember
> to look in it.

Thanks, I would appreciate it. I must stop this project of finding a
way around the fonts now because I must study! Exam in less than a
week! But if you can ask on monday I would much appreciate it. I will
send you a copy of the offending PDF in private mail, as it is only
possible to experiment on the real thing. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-07-2008, 05:13 AM
Knapp

Thanks, I would appreciate it. I must stop this project of finding a

way around the fonts now because I must study! Exam in less than a

week! But if you can ask on monday I would much appreciate it. I will

send you a copy of the offending PDF in private mail, as it is only

possible to experiment on the real thing. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

May I have a copy also?

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 06-07-2008, 05:44 AM
Donn

> > ps2pdf -dEmbedAllFonts=true WonderDog.ps
> > http://www.linux.com/articles/35022
> As the PS file was images, the resulting PDF was images as well
> instead of text. So, I tried running ps2pdf directly on the PDF file,
> as I know that PDF is a subset of PS. That GutmanYad font is
> persistent. It threw some errors, but completed. However, the font
> stayed
I am sure you thought of it, but I meant to change that command to:
ps2pdf -dEmbedAllFonts=false blah.pdf

Prob. won't work either. No need to reply.
Good luck with your studies.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:56 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/6/7 Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com>:
> May I have a copy also?

Thank you Knapp. The file is in Hebrew, so I do not think that you
will be able to understand it, sorry. However, the offending font is
called GuttmanYad, and there seem to be more than one variety of it in
the document.Here is the title of the document in a non-handwriting
font:
‫מבוא לה*דסת חומרים- פתרו*ות

I doubt that your computer will display that in a handwriting font, if
at all! This message is not in HTML, so it will probably show up in
monospace.

Thanks for your help. I very much appreciate it.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-07-2008, 08:06 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/6/7 Donn <donn.ingle@gmail.com>:
> I am sure you thought of it, but I meant to change that command to:
> ps2pdf -dEmbedAllFonts=false blah.pdf

Naturally.

> Prob. won't work either. No need to reply.
> Good luck with your studies.

Luck is what I need...

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Knapp

2008/6/7 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>:

2008/6/7 Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com>:

> May I have a copy also?

Thank you Knapp. The file is in Hebrew, so I do not think that you

will be able to understand it, sorry. However, the offending font is

called GuttmanYad, and there seem to be more than one variety of it in

the document.Here is the title of the document in a non-handwriting

font:

‫מבוא לה*דסת חומרים- פתרו*ות

I doubt that your computer will display that in a handwriting font, if

at all! This message is not in HTML, so it will probably show up in

monospace.

Thanks for your help. I very much appreciate it.

Dotan Cohen

I can read it. (but I only studied Hebrew for a month, so, no I don't understand it.)

--
Douglas E Knapp