Old 06-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Donn

Default PDF reader that lets one override fonts

> these are engineering documents and there are diagrams and graphs that
> are critical to the document.
pdfimages might help, but the context will be hard to establish.

In a nutshell: konsole -> pdf, tab tab

Old 06-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Knapp

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 7:05 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

2008/6/6 Donn <donn.ingle@gmail.com>:

>> these are engineering documents and there are diagrams and graphs that

>> are critical to the document.

> pdfimages might help, but the context will be hard to establish.

> In a nutshell: konsole -> pdf, tab tab

I have tried everything installed on the system that starts with pdf*

Dotan Cohen

Gimp will open PDFs and is scriptable!

Just did it.

DEK

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 06-06-2008, 06:01 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/6/6 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>:
> 2008/6/6 Donn <donn.ingle@gmail.com>:
>>> these are engineering documents and there are diagrams and graphs that
>>> are critical to the document.
>> pdfimages might help, but the context will be hard to establish.
>>
>> In a nutshell: konsole -> pdf, tab tab
>>

> I have tried everything installed on the system that starts with pdf*
>
> Dotan Cohen

What about convert it to html with pdftohtml and open it with a
browser and override the fonts?
Have you tried to view it with Adobe Acrobat Reader? It's in the
medibuntu repro.

/ Jonas

Old 06-06-2008, 07:13 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/6/6 Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com>:
> What about convert it to html with pdftohtml and open it with a
> browser and override the fonts?

Tried it: all the critical formatting is lost, as are all graphs and
diagrams. Very similar to pdf2text.

> Have you tried to view it with Adobe Acrobat Reader? It's in the
> medibuntu repro.

I have. I found it to be much better than the Adobe Acrobat of years
ago that I hated, however, it still would not let me override that
terrible embedded font!

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Donn

> it still would not let me override that
> terrible embedded font!
What do you get when you use pdffonts on the file? I am just wondering if that
fugly font is actually embedded or if your system is looking for it, not
finding it and using some terrible replacement. It could be a matter of
rewiring things to feed a better font in...

Old 06-06-2008, 07:59 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/6/6 Donn <donn.ingle@gmail.com>:
>> it still would not let me override that
>> terrible embedded font!
> What do you get when you use pdffonts on the file? I am just wondering if that
> fugly font is actually embedded or if your system is looking for it, not
> finding it and using some terrible replacement. It could be a matter of
> rewiring things to feed a better font in...

hardy2@hardy2-laptop:~$ pdffonts chapter1_exp-1.pdf
name type emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
CHBAKA+TimesNewRomanPSMT TrueType yes yes no 59 0
CHBALP+GuttmanYad-Brush CID TrueType yes yes yes 60 0
CHBANO+GuttmanYad-Brush TrueType yes yes no 61 0
CHBAPN+GuttmanYadLight CID TrueType yes yes yes 62 0
CHBBAI+GuttmanYadLight TrueType yes yes no 64 0
TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT TrueType no no no 65 0
ArialMT TrueType no no no 63 0
TimesNewRomanPS-ItalicMT TrueType no no no 74 0
CHBCAA+SymbolMT CID TrueType yes yes yes 75 0
CHBKLK+MT-Extra CID TrueType yes yes yes 33 0
Arial-BoldMT TrueType no no no 34 0
CHAPKP+TimesNewRomanPSMT CID TrueType yes yes yes 39 0
hardy2@hardy2-laptop:~$

It is the GuttmanYad fonts that are illegible. All four are embedded.

How does one rewire things to feed a better font in?!?

I have found this tool:
http://multivalent.sourceforge.net/Tools/pdf/Compress.html
I have downloaded the Multivalent20060102.jar file, yet I cannot
figure out how to 'optimize' the PDFs and remove the embedded fonts.

*) Also, I _think_ that the command fc-match can configure the system
to replace one font with another, but I have not been able to succeed
with it.

*) Also, apparently, one should be able to configure alternative fonts
in ~/.fonts.config but I cannot find examples of how to do that.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 06-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Art Alexion

On Friday 06 June 2008 4:11:08 am Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I have several PDFs in a terrible illegible font that I must read. The
> PDFs are text, as confirmed by copying and pasting the contents from
> KPDF to Open Office Writer. Is there a PDF reader that allows the user
> to override fonts, thus saving me a step? Thanks in advance.

Maybe, but why not just change the fonts in OpenOffice and read it there?

Old 06-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Art Alexion

On Friday 06 June 2008 7:39:05 am Phil Bieber wrote:
> Today I read an article at http://www.oooninja.com/ that there is a
> new extension for OpenOffice for importing PDFs... maybe that is
> helpful. Or just save 'em with KOffice as a ODF or txt file...
> Just a thought.

If you want to import, use scribus.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Donn

> It is the GuttmanYad fonts that are illegible. All four are embedded.
Yeah, I see that. I was hoping they were all 'no' and then you could find the
fonts you want, rename them (to what the pdf wants) and drop them into
~/.fonts which should work.

Another tack:
I found a link:http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000235
"Handy hint: You can run pdf2ps on existing PDF files and it will change
embedded fonts to embedded font subsets, usually reducing the file size
substantially." -- not 100% what you need, but it has a few hints.

So, perhaps pdf2ps then backwards, ps2pdf might just do it? I'm hoping for an
error and a substitution of local fonts.

They also mention pdfedit (in repos):
http://pdfedit.petricek.net/user_doc.html#gui_toolbars_text

And, here, a glimmer of hope:
Go to ps, then back with a switch...
ps2pdf -dEmbedAllFonts=true WonderDog.ps
http://www.linux.com/articles/35022

hth

Old 06-07-2008, 01:17 AM
"Kelly L. Fulks"

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/6/6 Phil Bieber <philbieber@gmail.com>:
>> Hi!
>> Today I read an article at http://www.oooninja.com/ that there is a
>> new extension for OpenOffice for importing PDFs... maybe that is
>> helpful. Or just save 'em with KOffice as a ODF or txt file...
>> Just a thought.
>>

> Thanks. Kword could not display these files properly. I have not
> installed OOo3 and the filter to test if OOo can or cannot display
> these PDF files.
>
> In a general sense, is there no PDF reader that can override embedded fonts?
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il
> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

That would be kind of against the idea of a PDF. PDF (Portable Document
Format) was intended to provide a way of distributing documents so that
they would like the same independent of the application in which they
are displayed or the device upon which they are printed. Therefore
overriding the defined fonts would mean that they are not the same.

Having said that O'Reilly has a book on PDF hacks. I don't have a copy
of it, but a co-worker does and it is possible that there is something
in it. If you don't have a resolution by Monday, I will try to remember
to look in it.

--
Kelly L. Fulks
Home Account