Old 05-28-2008, 05:42 PM
"Job Noorman"

Default strange titlebar behaviour when switching desktops

Hi,

I tried to send this message yesterday but apparently the attachment
was to big for this list. The screenshot I talk about can be found at
http://job.ulyssis.be/snapshot1.png.

When I switch from one desktop to another, it takes one or two seconds
for the titlebar (wel not only the titlebar but everything KWin has to
draw I think) to show up. I attached a screenshot of the moment just
after switching; you can clearly see the problem with Qalculate. Also
note that the titlebar for Konqueror in the background seems ok but in
fact the visible titlebar is the one from Kontact that is opened on
the other desktop.
I would like to file a bug for this but I'm not sure against which
package. Maybe KWin or maybe the kernel (read somewhere there are some
scheduler problems with the Hardy kernel)? Is there anybody that has
an idea what this could be?

Cheers,
Job

Old 05-28-2008, 05:55 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/5/28 Job Noorman <jobnoorman@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to send this message yesterday but apparently the attachment
> was to big for this list. The screenshot I talk about can be found at
> http://job.ulyssis.be/snapshot1.png.
>
> When I switch from one desktop to another, it takes one or two seconds
> for the titlebar (wel not only the titlebar but everything KWin has to
> draw I think) to show up. I attached a screenshot of the moment just
> after switching; you can clearly see the problem with Qalculate. Also
> note that the titlebar for Konqueror in the background seems ok but in
> fact the visible titlebar is the one from Kontact that is opened on
> the other desktop.
> I would like to file a bug for this but I'm not sure against which
> package. Maybe KWin or maybe the kernel (read somewhere there are some
> scheduler problems with the Hardy kernel)? Is there anybody that has
> an idea what this could be?
>
> Cheers,
> Job

Hi

I have seen similar bug when using compiz in KDE do you have some
desktop effects activated?

/ Jonas

Old 05-28-2008, 05:59 PM
"Job Noorman"

Hi Jonas,

I don't have any desktop effects enabled (and compiz is not installed).

Cheers,
Job

Old 05-28-2008, 06:19 PM
"Quentin Anciaux"

Hi,

What type of graphics card do you have ?

Ati ? Nvidia ? other ? do you use a proprietary driver ?

is dmesg saying something ?

I had problem yesterday with an update of the kernel and the driver fglrx for ati cards, the module did not load properly and the only visible problem was slow X display. In dmesg I've seen that the kernel did complain that the module and the kernel disagreed about a symbol, the resolution was to recompile the driver. It's strange that while the kernel version did not change the module was not compatible with the update, anyway it's fixed.

Regards,
Quentin Anciaux

Old 05-29-2008, 06:30 AM
"Job Noorman"

Hi Quentin,

My card is an Intel and I don't use proprietary drivers (not needed
for this card).

From lspci: VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31
Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

I read through the output of dmesg but there is nothing there that
looks strange. I also took a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and that's
also error free but it shows the following warnings:

(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
(WW) intel: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:2:1) found
(WW) intel(0): EXA greedy migration mode enabled.
(WW) intel(0): ESR is 0x00000010, page table error
(WW) intel(0): PGTBL_ER is 0x00010000, overlay GTT PTE
(WW) intel(0): Existing errors found in hardware state.
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23

The last line repeats from 0x23 to 0x32.

I had this problem before the kernel update you talk about so it's not
related to that.

Cheers,
Job