FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-04-2008, 11:06 PM
"Yuriy Kozlov"
 
Default Reviewing old specs

Hi all,

I looked through many of the specs filed for Kubuntu[1][2] to try to
find useful things for Intrepid. There are a lot of open specs that
are either clearly not going to be done or already are done. There
are a couple that I think would be good to review for Intrepid. There
are also some that were probably deferred and need a status update.
Basically, there's some cleaning up to do, and then there'll be a few
specs left that may deserve a look at UDS.

Warning: long list ahead with lots of links.
In pretty much the order they showed up in search results:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/ltsp-kde
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-ltsp-integration
"Checking LTSP works with KDE"
What is the status of this? Will this require testing for Intrepid/KDE4?

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/ltsp-kde-tools
What is the status of this? Did any of the tools get implemented?
This should probably be revisited at UDS to see what still needs to be
done.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-onboard
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-accessibility-keyboard
Related specs for an on-screen keyboard for Kubuntu. What is the
status of this?

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-restricted-manager
This is done, right?

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kickoff-integration
Kickoff is default in KDE4, so this is done in Intrepid.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-xgl
This is obsoleted by AIGLX and needs to be closed.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-adept-version-locking
Was there any progress on this? Probably needs to be included in
whatever the Adept spec will be for Intrepid.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-katapult
"Make katapult launcher cool"
I don't really understand what this was about but katapult is cool so
I think this is done

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/egonas1
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-hardy-kde4
KDE4 in hardy. Done.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kde-games
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-kde4-games
Duplicate specs. It would be nice to include a couple games by
default if space can be found on the CD.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kmilo-controls-kmix-selected-sound-card
This is a bug and the spec should be closed.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-artwork-hardy
Obsolete.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-autostart-applications
This would be good. Jucato did a write up on this, would be useful.
Maybe something already exists for this for KDE4?

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-basket
Basket by default would be nice, but I don't think it's ported to KDE4.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kommander
Don't know what this one's talking about.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-cd-samples-whole-kde
Should review what applications get included by default for Intrepid,
but this isn't much of a spec and should probably be closed.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-desktop-install
The behavior of the kubuntu-desktop package is correct as it is, so
this spec won't be implemented and should be closed. It does however
mention a possible bug in gtk-qt-engine, which should be filed
separately.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-driver-device-manager
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-feisty-hal-device-manager
What is this? Is it like the restricted manager? So done then?

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-grubconfig
Is this now artemis_fowl's grub editor project? Should probably be
targetted for Intrepid then.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-oem-installer
I think this was done in abattoir's SoC.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-partition-manager
Sounds useful. Has there been any progress on this? Maybe allow the
partition manager used in ubiquity to be run as a standalone app on
the LiveCD?

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/rdesktop-krdc-options
This is done in KDE4 according to the upstream bug report.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/xorg-edit-kxgenerator
Since there are no plans to include kxgenerator, this should be closed.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/make-free-space-wizard
What is the status of this? Sounds useful. Especially would be nice
if KDM could launch it if there is not enough space to log in.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kde-kiosk-profiles
What is the status of this? Sounds nice as well.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-edgy-package-manager
This is all either done or obsolete.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-file-transfer-dialogue
I'm not sure what this is talking about, but was there any progress on this?

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-gutsy-guidance
I think most of this wasn't done for gutsy. Need a new guidance spec
for Intrepid though, so this is obsolete.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-hardy-catchup
I think this one is done, but there's probably new catching up to do.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-default-settings-review
This is done, but some of the changes may need porting to KDE4.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-samba-integration
Needs to be revisted for Intrepid/KDE4.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-koffice-by-default
Needs to be revisted for Intrepid based on the release plan for Koffice 2.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-intelligent-menu-entries
What is the status of this? Would be nice.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-hwdb-usability
What is the status of this?

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-gutsy-plus-one-adept
Need a new Adept spec for Intrepid.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-show-all-directorires-of-main-directory
Done and needs to be closed.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-sound-recorder-by-default
Sounds good. Is there a sound recorder program for KDE4?

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/trash-applet/
This is a bug and the spec needs to be closed.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/ubiquity-timeset-method
This is a bug. Might be fixed? The spec needs to be closed.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-gtk-theme
I think this was done a while ago when gtk-qt-engine was included.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-language-selector
Not really a spec, but anyways, done?

Ahem. Need to be closed:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/better-kubuntu-support
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/change-default-color-in-kubuntu-feisty
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kome
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/rebrand-ubuntu-spinoffs
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/setup-tool
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/tighter-integration-between-distros
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/xmms-on-kubuntu


Thanks for reading. Whoever has the privileges, please at least close
the obvious ones.

~ Yuriy


[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/?searchtext=kde
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/?searchtext=kubuntu

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 05-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Jonathan Riddell
 
Default Reviewing old specs

On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 07:06:13PM -0400, Yuriy Kozlov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I looked through many of the specs filed for Kubuntu[1][2] to try to
> find useful things for Intrepid. There are a lot of open specs that
> are either clearly not going to be done or already are done. There
> are a couple that I think would be good to review for Intrepid. There
> are also some that were probably deferred and need a status update.
> Basically, there's some cleaning up to do, and then there'll be a few
> specs left that may deserve a look at UDS.
>
> Warning: long list ahead with lots of links.
> In pretty much the order they showed up in search results:
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/ltsp-kde
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-ltsp-integration
> "Checking LTSP works with KDE"
> What is the status of this? Will this require testing for Intrepid/KDE4?

I never did get the second machine needed to test this myself. When
we did it at UDS everything worked except kmix. It would be
interesting to test it again with KDE 4 and phonon and solid.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/ltsp-kde-tools
> What is the status of this? Did any of the tools get implemented?
> This should probably be revisited at UDS to see what still needs to be
> done.

Nobody implemented it. It's not terribly important, but a nice
project if someone wants to get into PyKDE.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-onboard
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-accessibility-keyboard
> Related specs for an on-screen keyboard for Kubuntu. What is the
> status of this?

We added an accessibility keyboard a few releases ago, it doesn't have
all the features of onboard though and I don't know if a KDE 4 version
exists, so that would be another nice project in pyKDE.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-restricted-manager
> This is done, right?

Yes.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kickoff-integration
> Kickoff is default in KDE4, so this is done in Intrepid.

Yes.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-xgl
> This is obsoleted by AIGLX and needs to be closed.

Yes.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-adept-version-locking
> Was there any progress on this? Probably needs to be included in
> whatever the Adept spec will be for Intrepid.

It wasn't considered a priority for a GUI app, it won't be a priority
for Intrepid.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-katapult
> "Make katapult launcher cool"
> I don't really understand what this was about but katapult is cool so
> I think this is done

Some of katapult's coolness could do with going into alt-f2 krunner in
KDE 4 though.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/egonas1
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-hardy-kde4
> KDE4 in hardy. Done.
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kde-games
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-kde4-games
> Duplicate specs. It would be nice to include a couple games by
> default if space can be found on the CD.

If we replace openoffice with KOffice 2, we could well have space.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kmilo-controls-kmix-selected-sound-card
> This is a bug and the spec should be closed.

Yes.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-artwork-hardy
> Obsolete.

Yes.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-autostart-applications
> This would be good. Jucato did a write up on this, would be useful.
> Maybe something already exists for this for KDE4?

Isn't there a kcontrol module for this in KDE 4.1?

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-basket
> Basket by default would be nice, but I don't think it's ported to KDE4.
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kommander
> Don't know what this one's talking about.

Dunno.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-cd-samples-whole-kde
> Should review what applications get included by default for Intrepid,
> but this isn't much of a spec and should probably be closed.
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-desktop-install
> The behavior of the kubuntu-desktop package is correct as it is, so
> this spec won't be implemented and should be closed. It does however
> mention a possible bug in gtk-qt-engine, which should be filed
> separately.
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-driver-device-manager
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-feisty-hal-device-manager
> What is this? Is it like the restricted manager? So done then?

Yes.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-grubconfig
> Is this now artemis_fowl's grub editor project? Should probably be
> targetted for Intrepid then.

Yes.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-oem-installer
> I think this was done in abattoir's SoC.

Yes.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-partition-manager
> Sounds useful. Has there been any progress on this? Maybe allow the
> partition manager used in ubiquity to be run as a standalone app on
> the LiveCD?

That would be hard since it uses debian-installer and need it set up
in its own way. But a stand alone partitioner would be nice.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/rdesktop-krdc-options
> This is done in KDE4 according to the upstream bug report.

Yes.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/xorg-edit-kxgenerator
> Since there are no plans to include kxgenerator, this should be closed.

Yes.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/make-free-space-wizard
> What is the status of this? Sounds useful. Especially would be nice
> if KDM could launch it if there is not enough space to log in.

KDM should work now with a full disk, clever things happen with ramfs filesystems.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kde-kiosk-profiles
> What is the status of this? Sounds nice as well.

Never got them made except accessibility ones. For KDE 4 the priority
would be getting a kiosktool replacement, but that's an upstream issue.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-edgy-package-manager
> This is all either done or obsolete.

Yes.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-file-transfer-dialogue
> I'm not sure what this is talking about, but was there any progress on this?

It was being implemented in KDE 4 but seems to have disappeared.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-gutsy-guidance
> I think most of this wasn't done for gutsy. Need a new guidance spec
> for Intrepid though, so this is obsolete.

Yes.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-hardy-catchup
> I think this one is done, but there's probably new catching up to do.

Yes.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-default-settings-review
> This is done, but some of the changes may need porting to KDE4.

We will have an intrepid discussion at UDS.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-samba-integration
> Needs to be revisted for Intrepid/KDE4.

We will have an intrepid discussion at UDS.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-koffice-by-default
> Needs to be revisted for Intrepid based on the release plan for Koffice 2.

We will have an intrepid discussion at UDS.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-intelligent-menu-entries
> What is the status of this? Would be nice.

I think it's obsolete with Kickoff.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-hwdb-usability
> What is the status of this?

hwdb needs re-written as a KDE frontend for hwtest-gtk.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-gutsy-plus-one-adept
> Need a new Adept spec for Intrepid.

Yes

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-show-all-directorires-of-main-directory
> Done and needs to be closed.

Yes.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-sound-recorder-by-default
> Sounds good. Is there a sound recorder program for KDE4?

Not that I know of. It may well be trivial to do with phonon.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/trash-applet/
> This is a bug and the spec needs to be closed.

Yes.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/ubiquity-timeset-method
> This is a bug. Might be fixed? The spec needs to be closed.

Not sure, will check with evand.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-gtk-theme
> I think this was done a while ago when gtk-qt-engine was included.

Yes.

> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-language-selector
> Not really a spec, but anyways, done?

Yes, language-selector will need integration with KDE 4, we'll discuss
that at UDS.

> Ahem. Need to be closed:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/better-kubuntu-support
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/change-default-color-in-kubuntu-feisty
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kome
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/rebrand-ubuntu-spinoffs
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/setup-tool
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/tighter-integration-between-distros
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/xmms-on-kubuntu
>
>
> Thanks for reading. Whoever has the privileges, please at least close
> the obvious ones.

Will do, thanks for the roundup.

Incase anyone missed it, the specs we have registered for UDS next
week are at https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KubuntuUDSPragueSpecs

Jonathan

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 05-13-2008, 11:38 PM
"Richard A. Johnson"
 
Default Reviewing old specs

On Tuesday 13 May 2008, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
[...]
| I never did get the second machine needed to test this myself. When
| we did it at UDS everything worked except kmix. It would be
| interesting to test it again with KDE 4 and phonon and solid.

KMix is still an issue. I have a small LTSP setup here and haven't been able to
get it to work with KDE 4 just yet.

| > https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/ltsp-kde-tools
| > What is the status of this? Did any of the tools get implemented?
| > This should probably be revisited at UDS to see what still needs to be
| > done.
|
| Nobody implemented it. It's not terribly important, but a nice
| project if someone wants to get into PyKDE.

I didn't even see this one. If you want, I can work on this one.

[...]
| We added an accessibility keyboard a few releases ago, it doesn't have
| all the features of onboard though and I don't know if a KDE 4 version
| exists, so that would be another nice project in pyKDE.

Kvkbd is being ported right now to KDE 4.

[...]
| > https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-katapult
| > "Make katapult launcher cool"
| > I don't really understand what this was about but katapult is cool so
| > I think this is done
|
| Some of katapult's coolness could do with going into alt-f2 krunner in
| KDE 4 though.

There may be some future work on creating a multi-desktop Gnome-do backend as
well.

[...]
| > https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-autostart-applicati
| >ons This would be good. Jucato did a write up on this, would be useful.
| > Maybe something already exists for this for KDE4?
|
| Isn't there a kcontrol module for this in KDE 4.1?

Yes.

| > https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-basket
| > Basket by default would be nice, but I don't think it's ported to KDE4.
| >
| > https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kommander
| > Don't know what this one's talking about.
|
| Dunno.

Basket is being ported to KDE 4, they have 2 new devs I think. Kommander is also
part of some big KDE 4 push as well, I remember reading about it not to long
ago.

[...]
| > https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-partition-manager
| > Sounds useful. Has there been any progress on this? Maybe allow the
| > partition manager used in ubiquity to be run as a standalone app on
| > the LiveCD?
|
| That would be hard since it uses debian-installer and need it set up
| in its own way. But a stand alone partitioner would be nice.

Look over either kde-apps.org or qt-apps.org as I thought I saw a partitioner
somewhere.

[...]
| > https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kde-kiosk-profiles
| > What is the status of this? Sounds nice as well.
|
| Never got them made except accessibility ones. For KDE 4 the priority
| would be getting a kiosktool replacement, but that's an upstream issue.

I think I read something about this being worked on, possibly a mailing list
somewhere.

[...]
| > https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kubuntu-hwdb-usability
| > What is the status of this?
|
| hwdb needs re-written as a KDE frontend for hwtest-gtk.

That shouldn't be to difficult and sounds fun

I am up for some coding this time around. Looks like I may be starting a new job
soon so that means no more school for the time being. That will free up a bit
of time here.

--
Richard A. Johnson
nixternal@kubuntu.org
GPG Key: 0x2E2C0124
--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:46 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org