Old 04-27-2008, 09:24 PM
chuck adams

Default root password and login

Found out after posting that if you logout and then
attempt to login into the system as root you will get
a message that the root account is not allowed to login.......

This means an additional change to the system to bypass this.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:38 AM
Constantin Makshin

Root account is disabled in Ubuntu. All system administration can be performed
by any user in "admin" group.

BTW, why do you need working root account?

--
Constantin "Dinosaur" Makshin

Old 04-28-2008, 04:46 AM
chuck adams

On Sunday 27 April 2008 21:38:46 Constantin Makshin wrote:
> Root account is disabled in Ubuntu. All system administration can be
> performed by any user in "admin" group.
>
> BTW, why do you need working root account?
>
> On Monday 28 April 2008, chuck adams wrote:
> > Found out after posting that if you logout and then
> > attempt to login into the system as root you will get
> > a message that the root account is not allowed to login.......
> >
> > This means an additional change to the system to bypass this.

I am not the one that brought up the subject. I always use
sudo to do admin commands. I was pointing out that if
you give root a password you can not login through KDE
login gui.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:05 AM
Terence Simpson

chuck adams wrote:
> I am not the one that brought up the subject. I always use
> sudo to do admin commands. I was pointing out that if
> you give root a password you can not login through KDE
> login gui
We don't change this setting from upstream KDE, and I can't see a reason
to do so.

Terence