Old 10-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Martin Grlin

Default Problematic default settings for KWin

Hi Kubuntu-devs,

please note: I'm not subscribed, please CC me in replies

I have been made aware of the fact that Kubuntu shipps default settings for
KWin which introduce issues.

I had a look at the kwinrc in bazaar [1] as of revision 505 and I can confirm
the issue.

In the Plugin section both BoxSwitch and CoverSwitch are enabled. The
BoxSwitch effect has already been replaced in 4.8 by a QML TabBox, but is
still shipped as part of it is optionally used by CoverSwitch.

The fact that Kubuntu enables the effect in kwinrc breaks the kwin config
migration script. Basically the behavior is undefined. I have no idea what the
users get when the script is executed but it is not what they should get. I
would suggest to remove the line:

kwin4_effect_boxswitchEnabled=true

Furthermore there are multiple settings which are identical to KWin's default.
I would suggest to remove those as that can cause issues in the future.

The following config values match KWin's default:
* Style -> PluginLib
* Windows -> TitlebarDoubleClickCommand
* Effect-CoverSwitch -> TabBoxAlternative

Furthermore the following combination of default settings does not make any
sense:
enabling the cube effect and only 2 desktops.

I also want to point out that upstreams default is since 4.7 to have only one
desktop. KDE used to have a default of four desktops and Kubuntu decided that
four are too many and changed to two. With the changed value in KDE this
should be re-evaluated. Either Kubuntu wants to follow upstream (this is what
I would suggest) or goes really with virtual desktops and in that case it
should be changed to 4. Then also the cube effect makes sense.

Please note that removing the virtual desktops by default unclutters the
default setup as the pager is removed.

Best Regards
Martin Grlin

KWin maintainer

[1] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kubuntu-packagers/kubuntu-default-
settings/kubuntu-default-settings/view/head:/share/config/kwinrc--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 10-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Wednesday, October 03, 2012 11:03:17 AM Martin Grlin wrote:
> Hi Kubuntu-devs,
>
> please note: I'm not subscribed, please CC me in replies
>
> I have been made aware of the fact that Kubuntu shipps default settings for
> KWin which introduce issues.
>
> I had a look at the kwinrc in bazaar [1] as of revision 505 and I can
> confirm the issue.
>
> In the Plugin section both BoxSwitch and CoverSwitch are enabled. The
> BoxSwitch effect has already been replaced in 4.8 by a QML TabBox, but is
> still shipped as part of it is optionally used by CoverSwitch.
>
> The fact that Kubuntu enables the effect in kwinrc breaks the kwin config
> migration script. Basically the behavior is undefined. I have no idea what
> the users get when the script is executed but it is not what they should
> get. I would suggest to remove the line:
>
> kwin4_effect_boxswitchEnabled=true
>
> Furthermore there are multiple settings which are identical to KWin's
> default. I would suggest to remove those as that can cause issues in the
> future.
>
> The following config values match KWin's default:
> * Style -> PluginLib
> * Windows -> TitlebarDoubleClickCommand
> * Effect-CoverSwitch -> TabBoxAlternative
>
> Furthermore the following combination of default settings does not make any
> sense:
> enabling the cube effect and only 2 desktops.
>
> I also want to point out that upstreams default is since 4.7 to have only
> one desktop. KDE used to have a default of four desktops and Kubuntu
> decided that four are too many and changed to two. With the changed value
> in KDE this should be re-evaluated. Either Kubuntu wants to follow upstream
> (this is what I would suggest) or goes really with virtual desktops and in
> that case it should be changed to 4. Then also the cube effect makes sense.
>
> Please note that removing the virtual desktops by default unclutters the
> default setup as the pager is removed.
>
> Best Regards
> Martin Grlin
>
> KWin maintainer
>
> [1] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kubuntu-packagers/kubuntu-default-
> settings/kubuntu-default-settings/view/head:/share/config/kwinrc

If I read your recommendations correctly, that would leave is with this:

[Plugins]
kwin4_effect_coverswitchEnabled=true

[Effect-CoverSwitch]
TabBox=true

Is that correct?

Scott K

Old 10-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Martin Grlin

On Wednesday 03 October 2012 09:14:35 Scott Kitterman wrote:
> If I read your recommendations correctly, that would leave is with this:
>
> [Plugins]
> kwin4_effect_coverswitchEnabled=true
>
> [Effect-CoverSwitch]
> TabBox=true
>
> Is that correct?
just rechecked the code, yes that seems right.

Cheers

Martin--

Old 10-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Wednesday, October 03, 2012 04:55:13 PM Martin Grlin wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 October 2012 09:14:35 Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > If I read your recommendations correctly, that would leave is with this:
> >
> > [Plugins]
> > kwin4_effect_coverswitchEnabled=true
> >
> > [Effect-CoverSwitch]
> > TabBox=true
> >
> > Is that correct?
>
> just rechecked the code, yes that seems right.

Thanks. I've just uploaded the change for 12.10 (with KDE SC 4.9). I
definitely appreciate the feedback.

For 12.04 (with 4.8), what would be the minimal change to not have undefined
behavior? Since we've already released 12.04, I need to keep changes minimal,
but if it's truly a bug (as opposed to just kind of odd) I want to fix it.

Scott K

Old 10-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Martin Grlin

On Wednesday 03 October 2012 11:09:14 Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 03, 2012 04:55:13 PM Martin Grlin wrote:
> > On Wednesday 03 October 2012 09:14:35 Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > > If I read your recommendations correctly, that would leave is with this:
> > >
> > > [Plugins]
> > > kwin4_effect_coverswitchEnabled=true
> > >
> > > [Effect-CoverSwitch]
> > > TabBox=true
> > >
> > > Is that correct?
> >
> > just rechecked the code, yes that seems right.
>
> Thanks. I've just uploaded the change for 12.10 (with KDE SC 4.9). I
> definitely appreciate the feedback.
>
> For 12.04 (with 4.8), what would be the minimal change to not have undefined
> behavior? Since we've already released 12.04, I need to keep changes
> minimal, but if it's truly a bug (as opposed to just kind of odd) I want to
> fix it.
I honestly cannot say how it behaves when an update is pushed right now. This
could even cause new issues and the gain is rather small as the upgrade script
has already run, it would only matter for updates from 11.10 to 12.04 right
now.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Wednesday, October 03, 2012 05:24:41 PM Martin Grlin wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 October 2012 11:09:14 Scott Kitterman wrote:

> > > just rechecked the code, yes that seems right.
> >
> > Thanks. I've just uploaded the change for 12.10 (with KDE SC 4.9). I
> > definitely appreciate the feedback.
> >
> > For 12.04 (with 4.8), what would be the minimal change to not have
> > undefined behavior? Since we've already released 12.04, I need to keep
> > changes minimal, but if it's truly a bug (as opposed to just kind of odd)
> > I want to fix it.
>
> I honestly cannot say how it behaves when an update is pushed right now.
> This could even cause new issues and the gain is rather small as the
> upgrade script has already run, it would only matter for updates from 11.10
> to 12.04 right now.

OK. Thanks.

I guess it's best to leave it as is for the moment.

Scott K