FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-15-2012, 02:17 AM
Jonathan Thomas
 
Default Add hplip-gui to Kubunto ISO?

As a datapoint, before installing hplip-gui and using it to configure
the family wireless Officejet 4500, I was unable to use its scan
function. Skanlite would not find any scanner before using hplip to
configure it.

That being said, I don't know if the "average user" would know to use
hplip to fix that situation, and might give up earlier when skanlite
doesn't see it.

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 08-15-2012, 03:49 AM
Steve Riley
 
Default Add hplip-gui to Kubunto ISO?

On 2012-08-14 22:17:53 Jonathan Thomas <echidnaman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As a datapoint, before installing hplip-gui and using it to configure
> the family wireless Officejet 4500, I was unable to use its scan
> function. Skanlite would not find any scanner before using hplip to
> configure it.
>
> That being said, I don't know if the "average user" would know to use
> hplip to fix that situation, and might give up earlier when skanlite
> doesn't see it.

Interesting, I've just now been looking at Skanlite for the first time,
watching the traffic with tcpdump. When you start Skanlite, it sends:

* five probes to your subnet's broadcast address, destination port 8612/udp,
looking for something related to the Canon BubbleJet protocol

* one probe to network broadcast, destination port 3289, which appears to be
some Epson protocol

* one probe to network broadcast, destination port 1124, which Google tells me
has something to do with HP VM management but has a curiously scanner-ish
payload.

Here's the dump, minus the duplicated payloads from source ports 8610..8613
that match the one from port 8614:

20:24:24.619140 IP 192.168.0.243.8610 > 192.168.0.255.8612: UDP, length 16
20:24:24.719298 IP 192.168.0.243.8611 > 192.168.0.255.8612: UDP, length 16
20:24:24.819411 IP 192.168.0.243.8612 > 192.168.0.255.8612: UDP, length 16
20:24:24.919633 IP 192.168.0.243.8613 > 192.168.0.255.8612: UDP, length 16
20:24:25.019818 IP 192.168.0.243.8614 > 192.168.0.255.8612: UDP, length 16
0x0000: 4500 002c 0000 4000 4011 b77e c0a8 00f3 E..,..@.@..~....
0x0010: c0a8 00ff 21a6 21a4 0018 836c 424a 4e50 ....!.!....lBJNP
0x0020: 0201 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 ............
20:24:25.629421 IP 192.168.0.243.56630 > 255.255.255.255.3289: UDP, length 15
0x0000: 4500 002b 0000 4000 4011 7927 c0a8 00f3 E..+..@.@.y'....
0x0010: ffff ffff dd36 0cd9 0017 c1c3 4550 534f .....6......EPSO
0x0020: 4e50 00ff 0000 0000 0000 00 NP.........
20:24:26.633263 IP 192.168.0.243.35249 > 255.255.255.255.1124: UDP, length 37
0x0000: 4500 0041 0000 4000 4011 7911 c0a8 00f3 E..A..@.@.y.....
0x0010: ffff ffff 89b1 0464 002d c1d9 0200 0102 .......d.-......
0x0020: 0000 001d 2500 1673 7464 2d73 6361 6e2d ....%..std-scan-
0x0030: 6469 7363 6f76 6572 792d 616c 6c02 0001 discovery-all...
0x0040: 00

I wonder if running hplip-gui enabled some function on your scanner to respond
to one of these probe packets? What do you see if you portscan your scanner?

...Steve


--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 08-15-2012, 08:32 AM
Ma Xiaojun
 
Default Add hplip-gui to Kubunto ISO?

The general question is, if the hardware vendor is not trying to
support us, what should we do?
One way is that we integrate many drivers, so most users would find
their hardware works out of the box.
Another way is that we provide better Docs/UI; so even average users
can make their hardware work independently.

--
Ma Xiaojun
SYSU+CUHK
damage3025@gmail.com

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 08-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Dale Trombley
 
Default Add hplip-gui to Kubunto ISO?

I've always touted kubuntu as being the better one


I have an hp wireless all in one, wireless scanning has never worked for me in kubuntu. I do have hplip-gui installed.


I fired up last nights daily build of ubuntu and wireless scanning works without any fidling.* When connecting the printer wirelessly it said downloading driver. As far as I could tell it installed hplip instead of hpcups.



Not a deal breaker for me but certainly could be for some.


Is there a way to have kubuntu download the better driver if it sees that the internet has been connected ala ubuntu?

On Aug 15, 2012 4:32 AM, "Ma Xiaojun" <damage3025@gmail.com> wrote:
The general question is, if the hardware vendor is not trying to

support us, what should we do?

One way is that we integrate many drivers, so most users would find

their hardware works out of the box.

Another way is that we provide better Docs/UI; so even average users

can make their hardware work independently.



--

Ma Xiaojun

SYSU+CUHK

damage3025@gmail.com



--

kubuntu-devel mailing list

kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel


--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 08-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Steve Riley
 
Default Add hplip-gui to Kubunto ISO?

On 2012-08-15 07:14:09 Dale Trombley wrote:
>
> I've always touted kubuntu as being the better one
>
> I have an hp wireless all in one, wireless scanning has never worked for me
> in kubuntu. I do have hplip-gui installed.
>
> I fired up last nights daily build of ubuntu and wireless scanning works
> without any fidling. When connecting the printer wirelessly it said
> downloading driver. As far as I could tell it installed hplip instead of
> hpcups.
>
> Not a deal breaker for me but certainly could be for some.
>
> Is there a way to have kubuntu download the better driver if it sees that
> the internet has been connected ala ubuntu?

Interestingly enough, we just had a brief thread about wireless scanning on
the forum. One of our members posted this:

Try comparing /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and /etc/sane.d/net.conf in both distros
and see if they differ. my installation I have to enable the "net" driver in
sane.d and add my server hostname (or ip) to net.conf.

Discussion:
http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?59763

...Steve


--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 
Old 08-16-2012, 01:29 AM
Dale Trombley
 
Default Add hplip-gui to Kubunto ISO?

Ok, i compared the differences and posted them into the kubuntu forum thread, as far as i can tell there is no difference in those files, but for some reason wireless scanning works ootb for ubuntu, but not for kubuntu. *
http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?59763-printer-config-kubuntu-vs-ubuntu


On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Steve Riley <steve@rileyz.net> wrote:

On 2012-08-15 07:14:09 Dale Trombley wrote:

>

> I've always touted kubuntu as being the better one

>

> I have an hp wireless all in one, wireless scanning has never worked for me

> in kubuntu. I do have hplip-gui installed.

>

> I fired up last nights daily build of ubuntu and wireless scanning works

> without any fidling. *When connecting the printer wirelessly it said

> downloading driver. As far as I could tell it installed hplip instead of

> hpcups.

>

> Not a deal breaker for me but certainly could be for some.

>

> Is there a way to have kubuntu download the better driver if it sees that

> the internet has been connected ala ubuntu?



Interestingly enough, we just had a brief thread about wireless scanning on

the forum. One of our members posted this:



Try comparing /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and /etc/sane.d/net.conf in both distros

and see if they differ. my installation I have to enable the "net" driver in

sane.d and add my server hostname (or ip) to net.conf.



Discussion:

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?59763



...Steve





--

kubuntu-devel mailing list

kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel



--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:51 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org