Old 08-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Jonathan Riddell

Default GTK System Settings Module in 12.10

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 05:57:47PM +0100, Jonathan Riddell wrote:

> I took a look at kde-gtk-config today.
>
> What we do at the moment is
> Copy /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/dot-gtkrc-2.0-kde4
> to ~/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4 on first login
> Also copy ~/.kde/env/gtk2-default-theme.rc.sh which exports GTK2_RC_FILES to point to ~/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4
> And run xsettings-kde (a mandriva creation I think) which exports the widget style over xatoms
> Use the system settings module kcm-gtk which sets ~/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4 and Felix has added a patch to notify xsettings-kde when the gtk theme has changed
>
> Setting GTK2_RC_FILES seems redundant given xsettings-kde. xsettings-kde seems like a good way to not overwrite gtk settings for anyone swapping between desktops
> This keeps the gtk 2 and 3 settings in sync
> but that only works if you have the same theme installed for both, it doesn't let you use gtk 3 themes otherwise
>
> apol's new kde-gtk-config
> writes to .gtkrc-2.0 and adds a symlink from .gtkrc-2.0-kde4
> and .config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini
> doesn't have any update via xsettings so running apps don't update
> it's gtk 3 settings don't do anything while xsettings-kde is running
>
> So I'm unsure what to do. I think the best thing would be to have kde-gtk-config write the config in such a way that it doesn't overwrite settings for using other desktops.

My current thinking is:
Switch to kde-gtk-config, kcm-gtk tries to keep gtk 2 and 3 themes in sync but this is not usually possible because most themes don't exist or aren't installed for both gtk 2 and 3.
compile kde-gtk-config without gtk, not current on CD so best to keep itoff
remove xsettings-kde
let kde-gtk-config edit .gtkrc-2.0 and .config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini, gtk based desktop enviornments have their own settings and export them over xsettings (a protocol used only for gtk as far as I can tell).

Jonathan