Old 07-31-2012, 11:17 PM
Weng Xuetian

Default Recommends fcitx as default input method in kubuntu.

Hi all,
I'm the main developer of fcitx, while I also maintain kimpanel in KDE.
Since some discussion raised against input method in kubuntu.
Well, as for kubuntu, fcitx have quite a lot benefits against other IMF.

1. Gtk-free
fcitx can work without any gtk library, while other works more or less
depends on Gtk.

2. KDE-integration.
kde-config-fcitx provides a KCM module inside systemsettings.

3. seamlessly kimpanel integration.
It will detect kimpanel automatically, and switch to use it if exists.

4. Complete language support.

As for user, fcitx also provides complete language stack.

I'd like to provide my help to move fcitx to kubuntu default.

Regards.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Ma Xiaojun

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 7:17 AM, Weng Xuetian <wengxt@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. Gtk-free
> fcitx can work without any gtk library, while other works more or less
> depends on Gtk.
I don't care this much. Leave this item to others.

> 2. KDE-integration.
> kde-config-fcitx provides a KCM module inside systemsettings.
That's nice and desirable.

> 3. seamlessly kimpanel integration.
> It will detect kimpanel automatically, and switch to use it if exists.
Well, doesn't latest kimpanel supports IBus well also?
kimpanel in 12.04 is broken for IBus, though.

> 4. Complete language support.
> As for user, fcitx also provides complete language stack.
Can you explain more on this item?
I guess you mean fcitx supports as many engines as that of IBus,
roughly. Even more.

> I'd like to provide my help to move fcitx to kubuntu default.
If fcitx people can maintain fcitx stuff in Ubuntu well.
It's even desirable to make the Ubuntu default.
Since even IBus in Unity doesn't work well, in fact.
It's all about man power...