-   -   Needed in Kubuntu ASAP (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/688123-needed-kubuntu-asap.html)

James 07-27-2012 03:45 PM

Needed in Kubuntu ASAP

For 12.10 (ok that's probably overwhelmingly optimistic) Kubuntu needs a
screen recording program. We would like the community to make more videos
showcasing Kubuntu for distribution on Youtube, Vimeo, etc. however, without
good command-line skills with FFMPeg, this is not possible. Here's why:

a) Only Qt/KDE application in the repositories is RecordItNow, which as of
Kubuntu 12.04 I could not get to work
b) Only other option is RecordMyDesktop, which is a GTK app
c) Both of these, assuming one can get them to work, output video in .ogv
format. This is a format that KDE's video editor, KDEnlive, can not even open!

This means that even a well-intentioned community member who wanted to make a
video screencast of something cool on their Kubuntu system has no inherit way
to do so.

Proposed solution would be to package / test FDesktopRecorder, a highly-ranked
KDE desktop recorder found on opendesktop.org:
http://opendesktop.org/content/show.php/FDesktopRecorder?content=147844

There are packages for other distros, but no .deb files. I can not package,
but as I need a tool for screencasts I would gladly test if someone could
package. I would also be doing more Kubuntu videos :)

Other options / ideas welcome but I strongly feel this needs to be addressed
ASAP.

Thoughts?

Scott Kitterman 07-27-2012 04:02 PM

Needed in Kubuntu ASAP

On Friday, July 27, 2012 11:45:20 AM James wrote:
> There are packages for other distros, but no .deb files. I can not
> package, but as I need a tool for screencasts I would gladly test if
> someone could package. I would also be doing more Kubuntu videos :)
>
> Other options / ideas welcome but I strongly feel this needs to be
> addressed ASAP.

Packaging is not that hard. It mostly takes a bit of motivation and a very,
very basic knowledge of some kind of programming (ideally make and shell, but
it's easy enough to pick up). Motivation is the hardest thing to come by. I
originally got involved in packaging because of similar feelings about a
different area.

You can't package now, but that doesn't have to remain true. The existing
Kubuntu developers are all pretty busy and most of us can only do this in our
spare time. To be perfectly honest, the chances of this just happening
because you asked for it are low. If you've got the motivation to get this
fixed, then I suggest you join us on the #kubuntu-devel IRC channel and we can
help you learn what you need to know to solve this important problem.

Scott K

Alex Leach - Gmail 07-27-2012 04:27 PM

Needed in Kubuntu ASAP

On Friday 27 Jul 2012 11:45:20 James wrote:
> Thoughts?
VLC 2.0 and above has a screen capture mode... I've never recorded anything
with it myself, but it should do the trick..

Cheers,
Alex

Sam Sarette 07-29-2012 03:26 PM

Needed in Kubuntu ASAP

Kdenlive has a great screen capture, and then we'd also have a video editor in the default install.It's a thought, but I'm not sure if Kdenlive is still quite buggy.

Dale Trombley 07-29-2012 05:41 PM

Needed in Kubuntu ASAP

I've been using kdenlive for a while now and haven't had any issuses

James Cain 07-29-2012 10:07 PM

Needed in Kubuntu ASAP

On Sunday, July 29, 2012 11:26:11 AM Sam Sarette wrote:

Kdenlive has a great screen capture, and then we'd also have a video editor in the default install.

It's a thought, but I'm not sure if Kdenlive is still quite buggy.

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Alex Leach - Gmail <beamesleach@gmail.com> wrote:

On Friday 27 Jul 2012 11:45:20 James wrote:
> Thoughts?
VLC 2.0 and above has a screen capture mode... I've never recorded anything
with it myself, but it should do the trick..

Cheers,
Alex

*

*

*

Does the capture in KDEnlive also capture audio? I'll have to play with it later tonight. I did manage to compile FDesktopRecorder, and it works really well at capturing A/V and encoding to .avi format.

*

Trying to learn how to package for Kubuntu so others can try as well. For now, interested parties can compile and use. https://github.com/froksen/FDesktopRecorder

*

I really feel a good, dedicated recorder on the CD/DVD is a must in fulfilling the easy ability to

*

- share Kubuntu experiences

- allow users to make how-to type videos

- encourage users to contribute by helping spread the word via social media

- make videos for Kubuntu and KDE-centric sites (KDE/Kubuntu Forums, Userbase, etc.)

*

If people see that a dedicated recording app is installed by default, they're more likely to contribute this way. Having an app, dedicated, included, is a must IMHO. No one but someone already doing these type of things is going to know KDEnlive does video capture. Plus, it's not installed by default.

*

Now back to trying to package the app...