Old 07-16-2012, 02:33 AM
Ma Xiaojun

Default Making IBus usable in Kubuntu

IBus is the default input framework for Ubuntu.
It features many input methods.
Asian user would use input methods on a daily base to input their
native languages.

I discovered two blocking issues of IBus on Kubuntu 12.04
1. IBus's GTK icon dependency is missing. (This issue may also exist
in early Kubuntu releases)
The end result is IBus GUI cannot be shown unless "gnome-icon-theme"
package is manually or occasionally installed.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ibus/+bug/854333
I also reported a similar bug to Debian and the "ibus" package in
Debian is already fixed (before Debian Import Freeze).
However, "ibus" package is in main section of Ubuntu with Ubuntu
specific patches, so there is no auto-sync for 12.10.

2. Kimpanel cannot use IBus backend (Need confirmation since I'm not a
Kimpanel expert)
Kimpanel is said to have more native look and feel in KDE.
There is a package called "plasma-widget-kimpanel-backend-ibus" in
11.10 and earlier.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/plasma-widget-kimpanel-backend-ibus
But this package is gone in 12.04 or later.
Almost all online resource I can find mentioned this package.
For example, the one on kde.org:
http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/Kimpanel
On the other hand, "plasma-widget-kimpanel" in 12.10 contains a
libibus dependency.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/plasma-widget-kimpanel
So it may support IBus out-of-the-box.
How to use Kimpanel with IBus in 12.04!?

Old 07-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Jonathan Riddell

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:33:57AM +0800, Ma Xiaojun wrote:
> IBus is the default input framework for Ubuntu.
> It features many input methods.
> Asian user would use input methods on a daily base to input their
> native languages.

Thanks for looking into this. Our input method story hasn't been
great since freeflying stopped maintaining it in KDE 3 times. There's
nobody in the Kubuntu team who has good knowledge or need to use it so
it tends to lag.

Ikuya Awashiro you have done the ibus merges in Ubuntu recently, can you comment on bug 854333 ?

Many of the ibus files disappeared from kimpanel ibus so it got merge
into the main plasma-widget-kimpanel package. I suspect it's not well
maintained upstream. I haven't got it to work but then I haven't got
ibus gtk to work, it needs im switch to run. This is also missing from the language selection I added into system settings recently.

So not a great story, any help appreciated.

Jonathan

Old 07-28-2012, 12:24 AM
AWASHIRO Ikuya

Hi Jonathan and Ma,

I am average person who is interested in Input Methods.

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 12:44:43 +0100
Jonathan Riddell <jriddell@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Ikuya Awashiro you have done the ibus merges in Ubuntu recently, can you comment on bug 854333 ?
We should ship Kimpanel.

> Many of the ibus files disappeared from kimpanel ibus so it got merge
> into the main plasma-widget-kimpanel package. I suspect it's not well
> maintained upstream. I haven't got it to work but then I haven't got
> ibus gtk to work, it needs im switch to run. This is also missing from the language selection I added into system settings recently.
No-no, Kimpanel 4.8 works great.
Here is the screenshot: http://twitpic.com/acc0cs

How to install:
1. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ikuya-fruitsbasket/kimpanel
2. sudo apt-get update
3. sudo apt-get install plasma-widget-kimpanel plasma-widget-kimpanel-backend-ibus
4. logout and login
5. add "Input Method" widget.
6. turn Ibus on

Hope this helps,
--
AWASHIRO Ikuya
ikuya@fruitsbasket.info / ikuya@oooug.jp

Old 07-28-2012, 01:44 AM
Ma Xiaojun

Hi, AWASHIRO Ikuya.

I think two independent problems should both be fixed.
1. Bug 854333, making IBus's origin UI usable in Kubuntu
2. Making Kimpanel in Ubuntu's official repository usable for IBus
Both problems are not very hard, but it seems that related Ubuntu
developer is not responding.

Anyway, it is nice to see your PPA for Kimpanel. I'd like to spread it
in Chinese Ubuntu community.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:47 AM
Scott Kitterman

On Saturday, July 28, 2012 09:44:17 AM Ma Xiaojun wrote:
> Hi, AWASHIRO Ikuya.
>
> I think two independent problems should both be fixed.
> 1. Bug 854333, making IBus's origin UI usable in Kubuntu
> 2. Making Kimpanel in Ubuntu's official repository usable for IBus
> Both problems are not very hard, but it seems that related Ubuntu
> developer is not responding.
>
> Anyway, it is nice to see your PPA for Kimpanel. I'd like to spread it
> in Chinese Ubuntu community.

Personally, I'd like to get IM working well, unfortunately I don't know enough
about it to really get to the bottom of it. I appreciate the input from
people who know more about these things.

Scott K

Old 07-28-2012, 02:19 AM
Scott Kitterman

On Saturday, July 28, 2012 09:24:57 AM AWASHIRO Ikuya wrote:
> 1. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ikuya-fruitsbasket/kimpanel
I looked at your changes from the latest 12.04 packages and while they are
unusual for a post release update (adding a new binary package) would be
worthwhile if was can get IM to work. Can you write up step by step
instructions on how to set up and use IM on 12.04 so that people who don't
know anything about IM can test it?

For Quantal, the next for items on your list:

> 2. sudo apt-get update
> 3. sudo apt-get install plasma-widget-kimpanel
> plasma-widget-kimpanel-backend-ibus 4. logout and login
> 5. add "Input Method" widget.

can be automated. We can create a new Kubuntu task fo install the additional
packages and add the widget. We might also be able to do the last bit:

> 6. turn Ibus on

There's definitely interest in getting this fixed, but we need help.

Scott K

Old 07-28-2012, 02:27 AM
Scott Kitterman

On Friday, July 27, 2012 10:19:41 PM Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Saturday, July 28, 2012 09:24:57 AM AWASHIRO Ikuya wrote:
>
> > 1. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ikuya-fruitsbasket/kimpanel

> I looked at your changes from the latest 12.04 packages and while they are
> unusual for a post release update (adding a new binary package) would be
> worthwhile if was can get IM to work. Can you write up step by step
> instructions on how to set up and use IM on 12.04 so that people who don't
> know anything about IM can test it?
>
> For Quantal, the next for items on your list:
> > 2. sudo apt-get update
> > 3. sudo apt-get install plasma-widget-kimpanel
> > plasma-widget-kimpanel-backend-ibus 4. logout and login
> > 5. add "Input Method" widget.
>
> can be automated. We can create a new Kubuntu task fo install the
> additional
> packages and add the widget. We might also be able to do the last bit:
> > 6. turn Ibus on
>
> There's definitely interest in getting this fixed, but we need help.

One significant difference I see between Ubuntu and Debian is in the ibus
package:

- debian/control: Install im-switch instead of im-config by default.

Which do we really want?

Scott K

Old 07-28-2012, 03:26 AM
AWASHIRO Ikuya

Hi Scott,

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 22:19:41 -0400
Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:

> I looked at your changes from the latest 12.04 packages and while they are
> unusual for a post release update (adding a new binary package) would be
> worthwhile if was can get IM to work. Can you write up step by step
> instructions on how to set up and use IM on 12.04 so that people who don't
> know anything about IM can test it?
How to setup IBus on en_US environment:
1. set LANG en_US.UTF-8 on [Set System Language]
2. sudo update-alternatives --install /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/en_US xinput-en_US /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/ibus 60
3. sudo apt-get install ibus-anthy
4. ibus-setup
5. Open [Input Method] tab, and check [Customize activate input methods] on
6. Click [Select an input methods]-[Japanese]-[Anthy]
7. Click [add]
8. Close
9. /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kimpanel-ibus-panel -i
10. push Ctrl+Space
11. push "a" and show [あ]
12. push space key some times.
13. push enter key and commit.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:28 AM
AWASHIRO Ikuya

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 22:27:40 -0400
Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:

> One significant difference I see between Ubuntu and Debian is in the ibus
> package:
>
> - debian/control: Install im-switch instead of im-config by default.
>
> Which do we really want?
Ubuntu depends on im-switch.
Please check language-selector-0.79/LanguageSelector/ImSwitch.py.

Thanks,

Old 07-28-2012, 04:00 AM
Ma Xiaojun

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 11:26 AM, AWASHIRO Ikuya
<ikuya@fruitsbasket.info> wrote:
> 2. sudo update-alternatives --install /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/en_US xinput-en_US /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/ibus 60

I would use "im-switch -s ibus" to enable ibus.
Or I would select "ibus" in language-selector.