Old 08-08-2012, 04:32 AM
Scott Kitterman

Default Making IBus usable in Kubuntu

On Wednesday, August 08, 2012 01:25:09 PM AWASHIRO Ikuya wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 23:50:31 -0400
>
> Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:
> > 1. Upgrade to KDE 4.8.5 (with plasma-widget-kimpanel-backend-ibus)
> > 2. Install ibus plasma-widget-kimpanel-backend-ibus
> > plasma-widget-kimpanel
>
> Also ibus-anthy/ibus-mozc/ibus-hangul/ibus-sunpynyin/ibus-chewing
> and so on.
>
> > 3. Log out and log back in
> > 4. Add the Input method widget in the panel
> > 5. Select Ibus for Input Method in the language selector
>
> It is done automatically by im-switch.

Thanks,

I thought the language selector would automatically pull in the correct ibus-*
package based on the selected language (which was one reason I suggested using
it). How do you run im-switch?

Scott k

Old 08-08-2012, 05:16 AM
Ma Xiaojun

I've tried the PPA but Kimpanel is not working on my Kubuntu 12.04 box.

Previously, the box had IBus working without Kimpanel.

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install plasma-widget-kimpanel-backend-ibus
Then I added the Kimpanel widget, but cannot get Kimpanel work with IBus.
I selected IBus in Kimpanel but it would just start/restart IBus
without replacing IBus's default UI.
And keyboard shortcut of Kimpanel doesn't have any effect (I've tried
Alt+Space).
And I did logout and re-login.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:37 PM
AWASHIRO Ikuya

On Wed, 08 Aug 2012 00:32:36 -0400
Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:

> I thought the language selector would automatically pull in the correct ibus-*
> package based on the selected language (which was one reason I suggested using
> it). How do you run im-switch?
Yes, "if ibus was installed".
see /usr/share/language-selector/data/pkg_depends

im-switch has two role:
1. Start Input Method (e.g. IBus) automatically by /etc/X11/Xsession.d/80im-switch
2. CUI/GUI frontend for alternatives command.
$ sudo im-switch -c
is same as
$ sudo update-alternatives --config xinput-ja_JP
(in Japanese)
im-switch is installed by default.
--
AWASHIRO Ikuya
ikuya@fruitsbasket.info / ikuya@oooug.jp

Old 10-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Ma Xiaojun

Ping? Any advancements since Aug 8?

Old 10-07-2012, 03:26 AM
Scott Kitterman

On Saturday, October 06, 2012 02:40:47 PM Ma Xiaojun wrote:
> Ping? Any advancements since Aug 8?

Looking at Quantal and KDE SC 4.9, plasma-widget-kimpanel now has a direct
dependency on libibus-1.0-0, so I suspect the need for the ibus backend
package is gone. Can someone on Quantal verify if it's working or not as is?

For 12.04, the last time I asked for testing, I didn't get a clear answer
about if it worked or not. If people are willing to test, I'm willing to work
on getting the fix in.

Scott K

Old 10-08-2012, 07:21 AM
Ma Xiaojun

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 10:26 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:
> For 12.04, the last time I asked for testing, I didn't get a clear answer
> about if it worked or not. If people are willing to test, I'm willing to work
> on getting the fix in.
The problem of 12.04 is quite clear,
plasma-widget-kimpanel-backend-ibus is missing.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Ma Xiaojun

I can use kimpanel (using kubuntu-ppa) with IBus by launching
ibus-daemon manually.
ibus-daemon -dx --panel=/usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kimpanel-ibus-panel

I know this can be automated.
Can we have a more accessible UI?

Old 10-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Tuesday, October 09, 2012 02:02:48 AM Ma Xiaojun wrote:
> I can use kimpanel (using kubuntu-ppa) with IBus by launching
> ibus-daemon manually.
> ibus-daemon -dx --panel=/usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kimpanel-ibus-panel
>
> I know this can be automated.
> Can we have a more accessible UI?

I am willing to work on this. I should have some time later in the week to
look into it. I will need help with testing.

Scott K