Old 07-28-2012, 04:07 AM
AWASHIRO Ikuya

Default Making IBus usable in Kubuntu

Hi Ma,

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 12:00:23 +0800
Ma Xiaojun <damage3025@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would use "im-switch -s ibus" to enable ibus.
> Or I would select "ibus" in language-selector.
According to /var/lib/dpkg/info/ibus.postinst, it works
ja_JP, ko_KR, zh_CN, zh_TW, zh_HK, zh_SG only.

Thanks,
--
AWASHIRO Ikuya
ikuya@fruitsbasket.info / ikuya@oooug.jp

Old 07-28-2012, 04:38 AM
Ma Xiaojun

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 12:07 PM, AWASHIRO Ikuya
<ikuya@fruitsbasket.info> wrote:
> According to /var/lib/dpkg/info/ibus.postinst, it works
> ja_JP, ko_KR, zh_CN, zh_TW, zh_HK, zh_SG only.

I haven't checked that point but my approach works for my multiple
installation of en_US or en_HK.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Saturday, July 28, 2012 09:24:57 AM AWASHIRO Ikuya wrote:
> Hi Jonathan and Ma,
>
> I am average person who is interested in Input Methods.
>
> On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 12:44:43 +0100
>
> Jonathan Riddell <jriddell@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > Ikuya Awashiro you have done the ibus merges in Ubuntu recently, can you
> > comment on bug 854333 ?
> We should ship Kimpanel.

One of the changes we need to fix this is the dependency change in ibus on
gnome-icon-theme (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=678422).

Ikuya Awashiro: Since you've done the ibus merge before and it needs it now,
could you do an updated merge from Debian? I'll be glad to review/sponsor it
to get it uploaded, but I think it would be better if someone familiar with
the package prepared it.

Scott K

Old 07-30-2012, 01:09 AM
AWASHIRO Ikuya

Hi Scott,

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 18:44:49 -0400
Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:

> One of the changes we need to fix this is the dependency change in ibus on
> gnome-icon-theme (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=678422).
>
> Ikuya Awashiro: Since you've done the ibus merge before and it needs it now,
> could you do an updated merge from Debian? I'll be glad to review/sponsor it
> to get it uploaded, but I think it would be better if someone familiar with
> the package prepared it.
OK. I'll do it.

Thanks,

Old 07-30-2012, 12:28 PM
AWASHIRO Ikuya

Hi Scott,

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 18:44:49 -0400
Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:

> Ikuya Awashiro: Since you've done the ibus merge before and it needs it now,
> could you do an updated merge from Debian? I'll be glad to review/sponsor it
> to get it uploaded, but I think it would be better if someone familiar with
> the package prepared it.
I uploaded to here:
https://launchpad.net/~ikuya-fruitsbasket/+archive/kimpanel?field.series_filter=quantal
It looks good to me.
http://twitpic.com/adgbzo
Please review/sponsor it.

Thanks,

Old 07-30-2012, 02:04 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Monday, July 30, 2012 09:28:02 PM AWASHIRO Ikuya wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 18:44:49 -0400
>
> Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:
> > Ikuya Awashiro: Since you've done the ibus merge before and it needs it
> > now, could you do an updated merge from Debian? I'll be glad to
> > review/sponsor it to get it uploaded, but I think it would be better if
> > someone familiar with the package prepared it.
>
> I uploaded to here:
> https://launchpad.net/~ikuya-fruitsbasket/+archive/kimpanel?field.series_fil
> ter=quantal It looks good to me.
> http://twitpic.com/adgbzo
> Please review/sponsor it.

Thanks. It looked good, except that you should retain the old Ubuntu
changelog entries. I added it back and uploaded it.

Thank you for your contribution of (K)Ubuntu.

Scott K

Old 07-31-2012, 02:36 AM
Chloe Rei

I*suggest use Fcitx*instead of ibus. Fcitx is more*stable, fast and*beautiful than ibus.

There is a*discuss in opensuse*community.*http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2012-05/msg00169.html

Old 07-31-2012, 10:37 AM
Zorael

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:36 AM, Chloe Rei <chloerei@gmail.com> wrote:
> I suggest use Fcitx instead of ibus. Fcitx is more stable, fast and
> beautiful than ibus.

There's also UIM[1] which is very feature-rich and very actively
developed. Being written in C (with some Scheme) also means its memory
footprint is *easily* half[2] that of ibus', which is in python. I've
been using it with Anthy for a few years now and it works gloriously.

That discussion is probably better to keep in a separate thread, however.

[1]: https://code.google.com/p/uim/
[2]: http://i.imgur.com/kumOQ.png

Old 07-31-2012, 11:10 AM
Chloe Rei

Sorry, I*misunderstand this thread is talking about making ibus be default input method in kubuntu.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:37 PM
Scott Kitterman

Ibus already is the standard input method in Kubuntu. This thread is about
making it work.

We are, unless someone new steps up to do the work, very unlikely to use a
different IM than Ubuntu uses.

Scott K