Old 07-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Jonathan Riddell

Default restrictedInstall

Some neurons have failed to reconnect I think. What happened to the restrictedInstall patches in amarok and dragon that get kubuntu-notification-helper to pop up a systray applet to get users to install mp3 support and whatnot.

Jonathan

Old 07-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Jonathan Thomas

They make a DBus call on org.kubuntu.restrictedInstall that the
kubuntu-notification-helper KDE Daemon listens on. KNH has several
"groups" of restricted packages (Flash, multimedia, screensavers, and
kopete gcall stuff). KNH looks at the package that the program has
requested for installation, and offers to install the related group by
the systray applet/knotify.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Jonathan Thomas

Oh, I thought you said "what happens when" instead of "what happens
with". Apparently not all my neurons have fired this morning. ;-)

Anyways, Amarok and Dragon are a bit different than the stuff
currently using KNH's restricted install, since they use GStreamer.
When GStreamer runs into a codec it can't play, it runs a helper
executable to find the codecs. We use the alternatives system to
provide the qapt gstreamer codec-finder, which does that for us.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Harald Sitter

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Jonathan Thomas <echidnaman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh, I thought you said "what happens when" instead of "what happens
> with". Apparently not all my neurons have fired this morning. ;-)
>
> Anyways, Amarok and Dragon are a bit different than the stuff
> currently using KNH's restricted install, since they use GStreamer.
> When GStreamer runs into a codec it can't play, it runs a helper
> executable to find the codecs. We use the alternatives system to
> provide the qapt gstreamer codec-finder, which does that for us.

It is because Phonon does things the way they are supposed to be done :P