Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Kubuntu Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/)
-   -   restrictedInstall (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-development/680048-restrictedinstall.html)

Jonathan Riddell 07-04-2012 11:58 AM

restrictedInstall
 
Some neurons have failed to reconnect I think. What happened to the restrictedInstall patches in amarok and dragon that get kubuntu-notification-helper to pop up a systray applet to get users to install mp3 support and whatnot.

Jonathan

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel

Jonathan Thomas 07-04-2012 12:46 PM

restrictedInstall
 
They make a DBus call on org.kubuntu.restrictedInstall that the
kubuntu-notification-helper KDE Daemon listens on. KNH has several
"groups" of restricted packages (Flash, multimedia, screensavers, and
kopete gcall stuff). KNH looks at the package that the program has
requested for installation, and offers to install the related group by
the systray applet/knotify.

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 7:58 AM, Jonathan Riddell <jriddell@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> Some neurons have failed to reconnect I think. What happened to the restrictedInstall patches in amarok and dragon that get kubuntu-notification-helper to pop up a systray applet to get users to install mp3 support and whatnot.
>
> Jonathan
>
> --
> kubuntu-devel mailing list
> kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel

Jonathan Thomas 07-04-2012 12:50 PM

restrictedInstall
 
Oh, I thought you said "what happens when" instead of "what happens
with". Apparently not all my neurons have fired this morning. ;-)

Anyways, Amarok and Dragon are a bit different than the stuff
currently using KNH's restricted install, since they use GStreamer.
When GStreamer runs into a codec it can't play, it runs a helper
executable to find the codecs. We use the alternatives system to
provide the qapt gstreamer codec-finder, which does that for us.

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Jonathan Thomas <echidnaman@gmail.com> wrote:
> They make a DBus call on org.kubuntu.restrictedInstall that the
> kubuntu-notification-helper KDE Daemon listens on. KNH has several
> "groups" of restricted packages (Flash, multimedia, screensavers, and
> kopete gcall stuff). KNH looks at the package that the program has
> requested for installation, and offers to install the related group by
> the systray applet/knotify.
>
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 7:58 AM, Jonathan Riddell <jriddell@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>>
>> Some neurons have failed to reconnect I think. What happened to the restrictedInstall patches in amarok and dragon that get kubuntu-notification-helper to pop up a systray applet to get users to install mp3 support and whatnot.
>>
>> Jonathan
>>
>> --
>> kubuntu-devel mailing list
>> kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel

Harald Sitter 07-04-2012 01:52 PM

restrictedInstall
 
On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Jonathan Thomas <echidnaman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh, I thought you said "what happens when" instead of "what happens
> with". Apparently not all my neurons have fired this morning. ;-)
>
> Anyways, Amarok and Dragon are a bit different than the stuff
> currently using KNH's restricted install, since they use GStreamer.
> When GStreamer runs into a codec it can't play, it runs a helper
> executable to find the codecs. We use the alternatives system to
> provide the qapt gstreamer codec-finder, which does that for us.

It is because Phonon does things the way they are supposed to be done :P

--
kubuntu-devel mailing list
kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-devel


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:06 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.